Germany - Scotland

Old Bing

Clarke totally fucked that, no apologies required just don't do anything as stupid as starting Adams in a game where the ball needs to stick up top ever again.  

Completely lost his head.  

16 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Germany are going to win this tournament comfortably.

I'm afraid, despite Southgate England will win it.

We're not conceding 3 or 4 of those with a Gordon, McGregor or Marshall.

And we're not pinned in the whole game with even one good outlet up front - hell we did better with Adams off the pitch at 10 men.

The rest of the team looked demoralised at 1-0 knowing these gaps in the team.

6 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

The genuine fact is that Angus Gunn is the clear best goalie Scotland has got. This fact is mortifying, but not as much as imagining Clark or Kelly between those posts tonight.

Spitting with rage at Gunn for that last goal, but the ease with which the ball passes through our centre is unacceptable.

Ross Laidlaw would have done better tbh

Ultimately could write a long post about tonight but what's the point. We were absolutely shite, the players didn't turn up with any hope or expectation, the senior players (McGinn, McTominay, Robertson, McGregor etc) all once again didn't take control of the situation. Ralston got ruthlessly exposed but that's not really the lad's fault, he's a very limited player who does his best, his best is just shite. Porteous finally in a Scotland shirt did what we expect of him - act brainless.

Gilmour cannot be dropped for Switzerland or Hungary. McTominay doesn't look right and McGinn just doesn't look interested.

Clutching at straws positive for me, big McKenna doing well when he came on and getting (granted lucky) an assist.

The only thing of interest was Robertson saying on the TV that the tactics weren't the issue, the players were.

6 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Usually need to wait until the third game for a good dejected fan image.

In my Tartan Army days I've seen people actually posing for pictures like this, hoping to get captured for the back of the paper.

Getting as many empty seats around you as possible definitely complements the compo face for extra effect.

image.png.1d53cea0a44794c3e9d77ff495e9ba74.png

The bucket hat completes it. Hate them. Leave them to elderly Lake District walkers, 90s indie bands and Small Part of England supporters

3 minutes ago, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

We're not conceding 3 or 4 of those with a Gordon, McGregor or Marshall.

And we're not pinned in the whole game with even one good outlet up front - hell we did better with Adams off the pitch at 10 men.

The rest of the team looked demoralised at 1-0 knowing these gaps in the team.

Marshall? You've clearly forgotten the last Euros

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Heard four German police sirens in less than 90 seconds from the punditry booth.

Hope we aren't England'ing it up.

The punditry booth is in Berlin.

21 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Tell you for what, we desperately missed Dykes tonight. He would have thrown Rudiger around like an empty trackie.

Definately 

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

What game plan should have been used against that Germany team this evening: how would it have worked exactly? 

The Euros weren't easier to get to in 2016, when Scotland failed to do so. 

FWIW I'd say that Scotland are currently performing at their expected level - no better, but no worse - which means reaching every other Euros but making up the numbers and hoping to scrape out the group. Taking a bleaching by a big gun is no different to Slovakia taking one by Spain in the last tournament and returning to do... probably not much again this time around. 

That's ultimately what Scotland are likely to achieve unless a solidly good generation of talent is revealed across all areas of the park, as opposed to some of the obvious haddies starting tonight and mostly dogshit options on the bench too. .

The goalkeeper issue is the prime example of this - after 25 years of very good options, Scotland are now picking between utter turds. That's just how international football works.

You make a number of good points but I am sure the Slovakian P&B would have been angry just as we are tonight. 

I agree we are nowhere near Germany and that’s a fact no one can argue. However, we need to show some passion, some guts, desire. Even if it still ended up 5-1 I would at least know they gave it their best. They didn’t give it there best. They rolled over and said ‘please don’t hurt me’. 

We peaked in Oslo and it’s been a slow fall into ineptitude with a manger claiming all was ok when people knew it wasn’t. When people criticised they were anointed Negative Normans to deflect away from the fact we haven’t played well in quite a while. 

I can accept we aren’t anywhere near Germany when even at our best but FFS show some heart and desire and pride and at least make them work for it. 

Edited by Arthurlie1981

This horror show was 100% the fault of Steve Clarke's whose chosen team formation and player selection set us up to fail tonight. From the first minute it was obvious that Germany were able to rip us apart using their wide players. 

Porteous is known to be a bomb scare. Why bother to play Che Adams at all if he doesn't receive a pass in the entire time he's on the park ?

18 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

He's worse.

Zander has 15 clean sheets in scottish premiership this season, and had an outstanding season for Hearts, how many did Gunn have in the English championship?

I geniunely think there is an argument for Clarke to be in.