Germany v Scotland

Sonam

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Meh. We were miles off it. Germany streets ahead of us. If they'd needed to win by seven they would have.

Gunn's not good enough. He's at fault for 1st and 5th, and the one where offside saved us. But we dont have anyone better. Gordon is capable but he's 40 and his club manager didnt give him the games to get sharp. I'd play Clark v Switzerland but its unlikely to make much odds.

Ralston looks the 3rd choice right back he is but we dont have anyone better.  Porteous is a liability. That challenge is criminal but again, much as I like Hanley, he's not at a level currently to be much better. 

Our much vaunted midfield was awol tonight. Gilmour should have played but we'd still have lost. We're an absolute mile behind the levels of Musiala, Gundogan and Wurz. 

It is what it is. I hoped we'd be more competitive but we're miles off Germany. We can only hope they do the same to Hungary and then their 2nd string do it to the Swiss. 4 points still gets us through. 3 probably now doesnt. Must get something wednesday or I'm travelling to a desd rubber next weekend......

Whatever you think of Gunn tonight, Zander Clark is absolutely nowhere near him - he wouldn’t get close to a championship side. 

Anyway, a shameful set up and a shameful performance - all there is to say about it really. 

The thought of a dead rubber v Hungary is horrific. 

Spent the afternoon / evening in the Olympic park fan zone which had 2 hour queues for drinks. Followed by the worst Scotland performance in a big game since the Dutch play off away, or perhaps even ever. 

I'll never ever understand why Gilmour didn't start. Our busiest, most confident midfield distributor and Clarke leaves him out. We'd still have lost with Gilmour playing but I honestly don't think it'd have been such an abject, craven performance. A total humiliation from start to finish. 

PS Gunn had a bad game but he's still much better than the alternatives. 

Edited by VictorOnopko

Over before it started really. Not an enjoyable watch. I'm sure lots will question team selection and tactics. The team selection and tactics were consistent with how we played Spain (home and away) and Norway (away). It was successful to a point in those games and so could have worked and was arguably the right approach, but we didn't execute it well tonight. Germany were really good and we needed them to be a little off it to have any chance. 

At no point did we get into the game, which is a real shame. At 4-1 I thought that would have flattered us, but 5-1 was probably fair enough. I don't know why we played so badly and don't care to speculate, but I'm just going to write it off and hope the next game is better.

Edited by 2426255

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Whatever you think of Gunn tonight, Zander Clark is absolutely nowhere near him - he wouldn’t get close to a championship side. 

Anyway, a shameful set up and a shameful performance - all there is to say about it really. 

The thought of a dead rubber v Hungary is horrific. 

Fair. I'm just frustrated at that performance. ☹️

I really thought the idea behind playing Christie would be to get in their faces and rattle them. We didn't even get close to doing that once. The biggest strength in our team is the amount of energy we have yet we spent the entire game stationary as Germany passed around us. 

I'll depress myself by going through the whole thread tomorrow, but right now I'm honestly just sad after that. 

It's hard for me to go in too hard on the likes of Gunn, Ralston and Porteous (despite his ridiculous challenge) as they're playing at a level above their ability, so you need to look at McGinn, McGregor and McTominay to show their class and experience of coming up against world class players. They didn't. In fairness, I thought Robertson and Tierney were OK which is why I didn't mention them. 

Germany are good. Gundogan and Kroos are two of my favourite players around, Musiala is quality, Havertz is a nuisance. They're all geniuses on the park too. Gundogan and Kroos' brains are on another level, and a pattern of games like tonight has been a stretched shape and these kinds of players (like Zinchenko and Modric before) picking up spaces and controlling the game. Their counter-pressing seemed to spook our midfield too, though that's not me trying to excuse our players. 

One positive: despite the shambles getting through the entrance, that was the best stadium I've watched a game in.

Germany are a genuine powerhouse with a rich football history of winning trophies. They also have world class players.

Judging us against Germany in Germany is silly.

We should judge ourselves on the next two matches. Tonight was just a write-off.

The only good thing about tonight is that the players will be wounded, they'll be extra motivated to make amends against Switzerland and Hungary.

Upwards and onwards.

Agree Gunn not the answer, I would have saved the first goal. Absolute arrogance to think we can play back 5, they had switch to wide right with passes I could have made.  I could have passed around non midfield press and probably got a couple of shots on target. At my best,  ok amateur,  would have loved to play against that spineless,  pathetic lot tonight. 

Seriously this group need to get a grip, we are well used to being bested, never should we be easy meat

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Fair. I'm just frustrated at that performance. ☹️

Ach, it is just absolutely scunnering tbh. 

Personally, feel like I’ve waited near two decades for that major tournament moment and it played out like that. Hopefully some optimism will come back before the Switzerland game. 

I didn’t think the team would outdo the absolute shambles that was the UEFA set up getting into the ground, but they did. 

1 minute ago, ekok said:

Agree Gunn not the answer, I would have saved the first goal. Absolute arrogance to think we can play back 5, they had switch to wide right with passes I could have made.  I could have passed around non midfield press and probably got a couple of shots on target. At my best,  ok amateur,  would have loved to play against that spineless,  pathetic lot tonight. 

Seriously this group need to get a grip, we are well used to being bested, never should we be easy meat

Shocked you didn't make the squad to be honest. Can you play right back? 

Edited by Coooombe

I thought we looked unsettled from the very start. Tierney celebrating winning a by kick early on concerned me. We had to be up for it but we also had to be calm, and I thought it looked like we were out of control and out of our depth.

Edited by allyo

Echoing the other posts here, but I don't mind getting beat, but the gutless manner of that was galling. It's a team of captains and nobody took responsibility. Never before have I seen a Scotland team so embody the Scottish cringe. Nobody believed they belonged on the pitch with that German team, except maybe Tierney. 

Genuinely awful and I don't honestly care that much about the rest of the tournament.

Sorry,  left back, but would at least made a couple of " hello " tackles.  Seriously Clarke is squandering  decent group, on what planet do you not start Gilmour after his recent performances in EPL and our last few games  ?

1 hour ago, ScottishLoon said:

Can people stop pretending the starting 11 wasn't the right starting 11 because of purely how the performance ended up?

The performance in general was shit and that's why what happened did. Gilmour would of got on the ball and had f**k all to do with it, he doesn't have the engine or defensive ability/physicality to play in a 2 man midfield against that German team.

Same goes for the people giving it “X player shouldn’t play for us again” when they were absolutely content with said player this time 5 hours ago.

1 minute ago, velo army said:

Echoing the other posts here, but I don't mind getting beat, but the gutless manner of that was galling. It's a team of captains and nobody took responsibility. Never before have I seen a Scotland team so embody the Scottish cringe. Nobody believed they belonged on the pitch with that German team, except maybe Tierney. 

Genuinely awful and I don't honestly care that much about the rest of the tournament.

Two things for me.

All to play for still. 

An awful performance But while the first half performance was awful i thought 2nd half we were anything but gutless. Even accepting Germany had the game won and more, down to 10 men  it would have been easy to chuck it and I don't think we did that. Small mercies I know.

Reminiscent of previous Euros where Clarke gets us there, but then fucks the lineup in the tournament.

Gilmour had to start to drop deep, collect the ball and hold possession.

McGregor was 2 yards off it.

We didn't press their wide men, midfield posted missing.

Edited by Richie