Porteous

Some ridiculous takes on here. Yes it was a stupid rash tackle and a deserved red, but there's a lot of folk forgetting that when we won the first 5 qualifiers and kept 4 clean sheets Porteous started every game.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Some ridiculous takes on here. Yes it was a stupid rash tackle and a deserved red, but there's a lot of folk forgetting that when we won the first 5 qualifiers and kept 4 clean sheets Porteous started every game.

Folk are just emotional or hungover or both. You have to give them at least a days grace imo before ridiculing them.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

He’s a good player at times but that’s not the issue here. The issue is that his petulant behaviour has cost the team big time. Much like Ferguson and McGregor had to sit out for a while after boozegate, I think Porteous should be sent him and excluded from the squad for the rest of this tournament. We can look at reintroducing him in September if he apologises for his actions and takes accountability, but that has to come later. 

3 hours ago, Lex said:

Got a bit of sympathy with him. He’s had a split second to react after the rebound from Gunn, Gundogan is stroking it in, and he’s made a desperate, instinctive lunge trying to save a certain goal. 
He’s made a mess of the lunge, and he quite easily could have broke the guys leg. 
But that’s what he does and he’s done that his whole career. He regularly makes desperate, rash, dangerous tackles and his career card count shows this.

He’s not very good but he’s still amongst our best centre halves. Wouldn’t surprise me if he started against Hungary. 

This. It's a horror of a lunge and 100% as clear a red card as you'll ever see. Gundogan is lucky he's not got a broken leg. But it's a desperate attempt to prevent a goal he gets badly wrong. There's no point in scapegoating him for it. He probably had been our best defender up to that minute. I doubt we'll see him against Hungary unless we're also hounded by the Swiss (and he may get an extended ban for it anyway).

2 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

I can’t believe folk are defending him. It was an utterly shocking challenge.

It's a horrific challenge, he's got it badly wrong and can't have any complaint about whatever suspension he gets. Beyond that you're going completely overboard. "First plane home" stuff is complete nonsense.

4 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

He’s a good player at times but that’s not the issue here. The issue is that his petulant behaviour has cost the team big time. Much like Ferguson and McGregor had to sit out for a while after boozegate, I think Porteous should be sent him and excluded from the squad for the rest of this tournament. We can look at reintroducing him in September if he apologises for his actions and takes accountability, but that has to come later. 

You seriously think what you saw last night was petulance? Seriously?

You saw a limited footballer make a split second lunge for the ball in front of his own goal line to try to save a goal and get it all wrong. It was reckless. Comparing it to off field indiscipline like the Ferguson / McGregor affair is ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This. It's a horror of a lunge and 100% as clear a red card as you'll ever see. Gundogan is lucky he's not got a broken leg. But it's a desperate attempt to prevent a goal he gets badly wrong. There's no point in scapegoating him for it. He probably had been our best defender up to that minute. I doubt we'll see him against Hungary unless we're also hounded by the Swiss (and he may get an extended ban for it anyway).

It's a horrific challenge, he's got it badly wrong and can't have any complaint about whatever suspension he gets. Beyond that you're going completely overboard. "First plane home" stuff is complete nonsense.

You saw a limited footballer make a split second lunge for the ball in front of his own goal line to try to save a goal and get it all wrong. It was reckless. Comparing it to off field indiscipline like the Ferguson / McGregor affair is ridiculous.

Agreed

I think he’s a decent player who has a complete inability to make split-second decisions. That’s what results in the “thuggery”. I don’t think there’s intent to injure, but he gets it badly wrong any time he’s exposed like that.

He hasn’t improved in that sense since he left Hibs.

He was no worse than any of the other jokers on that pitch last night though, possibly Tierney aside.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah fair enough. I think it’s an emotional reaction because despite the disappointing first half, I felt we had a chance to try and get out of there with a 2-0 or even 2-1 defeat which would set us up nicely for the rest of the group stage. Instead, that one split second guaranteed that it would turn into a hammering, so I think it’s to an extent natural to feel angry at the guy. I just hope we can win the last two games to get through, but sorry for a disproportionate reaction to the challenge. 

12 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Yeah fair enough. I think it’s an emotional reaction because despite the disappointing first half, I felt we had a chance to try and get out of there with a 2-0 or even 2-1 defeat which would set us up nicely for the rest of the group stage. Instead, that one split second guaranteed that it would turn into a hammering, so I think it’s to an extent natural to feel angry at the guy. I just hope we can win the last two games to get through, but sorry for a disproportionate reaction to the challenge. 

Oh I get that. Without being quite the same level of over-reaction I posted last night that Gunn isn't good enough and I'd consider playing Clark against the Swiss. Gunn ISN'T good enough but he's what we have and we'll need to deal with that. There's no particular reason to think Clark would be any better. I think Gordon could have been but he needed Stevie Naismith to play him regularly second half of the season. Maybe he wouldn't have reached his old levels either but we'll never know now. As it stands, for all his failings (and I'd potentially blame him for two and a half goals last night plus he's at fault on the Fullkrug one ruled out for offside) he's still as good as now have.

Germany were much better than I expected and for all we weren't good we can't overlook that. If they play like that throughout the group they'll win all three. Our goal difference took a hammering so getting through with three points is almost certainly not happening now, we'll need at least four. There's all still to play for but it will take a momentous effort to lift this group to park last night and go into the Swiss game to get something from it. Stevie Clarke's done a great job for us but this will be his biggest challenge. The last Euros were a bad start but it wasn't a hammering and playing England took care of itself to an extent.

39 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

The issue is that his petulant behaviour has cost the team big time.

Bollocks.

The boy miss timed a challenge. Got the ball cleanly with his right but followed through with his left, unintentionally catching Gundogan.

It happens. When you are desperately diving in to stop a certain goal, you give up a bit of control to throw yourself at such pace. 

If he hadn't accidentally caught him with his other leg, we would have praised him for a superb challenge.

Lay off ffs.

4 hours ago, Fratelli said:

At first last night I gave him the benefit of the doubt, as it was a last ditch, heat of the moment attempt to prevent a certain goal. After seeing it again it’s fucking brainless. There’s absolutely no need to go in with his left leg like that

Yes, that's exactly the same for me.

At first I saw it as a last ditch lunge, but in reality it was absolutely unnecessary for him to dive in so dangerously.

FFS. The guy made a last ditch challenge trying to prevent a goal after the keeper spilt the ball . He may have been rash, but at least he showed some dig, which is more than the other 10 ten did the whole game. Remember when "dig" and grit was what Scotland had in droves? From an auld centre half!

Edited by DrRibs

22 minutes ago, DrRibs said:

FFS. The guy made a last ditch challenge trying to prevent a goal after the keeper spilt the ball . He may have been rash, but at least he showed some dig, which is more than the other 10 ten did the whole game. Remember when "dig" and grit was what Scotland had in droves? From an auld centre half!

It is possible to do a last ditch challenge without it being two footed, studs up and over the top. No excuse for it at all, you won't see a worse tackle this tournament.

22 minutes ago, HipPriest said:

Clumsy yellow at best for me. Plenty time to change after than abject performance. 

It's 100000000000000000% a red. In no way can it ever be construed as a yellow. Unsure why anyone would ever think it was not a red.

Anyway, I like Porteous and think he's a decent defender for Scotland, indeed a first choice at the moment. He'll be back in for the qualifiers and rightly so, although if I was Clarke I'd be tempted to not play him against Hungary, but not at the expense of the team/result.

I know folk were annoyed at Clarke slapping/shaking hands with him as Porteous went off, but Clarke probably hadn't seen the replay by then, or if he did he was just practicing management. I've no doubt the manager had a pretty stark chat with him in private either way.

I'm also sure Clarke won't do anything to harm/weaken the team in terms of punishing Porteous. The suspension is punishment enough at the moment, although Clarke could think differently.

1 hour ago, Jammyp said:

It is possible to do a last ditch challenge without it being two footed, studs up and over the top. No excuse for it at all, you won't see a worse tackle this tournament.

Aye....we'll see

Why would he punish Porteous? It hadn't even crossed my mind, but have folk been condemning Clarke for not snubbing him on the way off? That's laughable to be honest. There's been some awful takes since the game but projecting some petty VL behaviour like that onto Clarke is hilarious.