Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 vs Switzerland 🇨🇭

Jives Miguel

Posted somthing similar to this on the other forum.

Dramatic changes of formation and line-up would probably only make things worse. And it can still get worse. 

Against Akanji, Schär and Rodriguez it's even more important that a lone forward is able to bring the midfield up. So, Dykes it is then. I really don't know who can do that for us now - in which case, should we consider going back to Clarke's first successful formation, 5-3-2, and put two up top? That's the shape that took a point from Wembley at the last Euros.

Ideally we'd have Gilmour starting but I don't know who to drop for him. In that game at Wembley he was accommodated by McTominay playing right centre back, which doesn't look feasible now. I don't think Gilmour is physical enough to screen a defence like McGregor can. We need someone to properly screen the back three and make sure nothing gets between the lines (like Shaqiri), which is an area that killed us tonight.

We absolutely must do something to stop Xhaka from playing. The guy has just strolled to the best domestic season in the history of German football. Kroos picked us off in the first half because he was given so much space and if given the same freedom Xhaka can do likewise. We made a terrible mistake in setting up with no real adaptations for the specific opposition last night.

Ralston looked horribly out of his depth and it might be worth looking to freshen up there at least.

Gunn

McCrorie/Ralston   Hendry   Hanley   Tierney   Robertson

McGregor

McGinn (man-marking Xhaka)   McTominay  

Christie   Shankland

25 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Shame Simon Murray isn't in the squad. This is his kind of game for sure.

I'm not saying he should be in the starring 11. It's just in a game like this, if struggling and it's 0-0 after say 70mins, having that super sub option, his excellent level of fitness, his super attitude and the fact that he is used to playing teams that are technically much better, week in, week out. He would have been an asset and a positive effect on the other players in the squad. Such a shame. 

I'll mention again that qualifying so early and easily hasn't necessarily done the team favours as well. A friendly against Gibraltar like WTF as well!

Edited by Sonam

Shankland in for Adams is the only change I’d make. I know there’s an argument for Gilmour but, like @GordonS said, not sure who he’d replace.

Also, not conceding in the first 10 minutes would be just lovely.

Gilmour simply must start. He takes and moves the ball better than anyone in our team. He should be starting every single game for us really. Maybe stats would say otherwise but it seems to me that we give away possession significantly less when he plays. He provides an outlet and moves the ball instead of us being forced in to long punts (not always obviously, but more often).

I think we're simply a better team with him in it. Who should we drop? Based on yesterday it doesn't matter but personally I'd say Adams, which isn't a knock on him since he had f**k all to work with. I'd put Christie up top and have Gilmour in midfield if we're sticking with the same formation.

This is fairly close to a must win for us IMO. Three issues with relying on a draw from this game:

1) As long as Germany avoid defeat to Hungary, then Germany and Switzerland could just play out a mutually beneficial draw that clinches the group for the hosts and second place for the Swiss.

2) Even if Switzerland did lose on the last day we’d need a huge GD swing to overtake them.

3) Assuming the GD swing didn’t happen, we’d be relying on being one of the best four 3rd placed teams and our GD is already very unhelpful in that regard.

Win this game and there’s a high chance that a draw will suffice against Hungary to get second.

I take it that a lot of folk don't remember/have never known this tournament format?

We draw with the Swiss and beat Hungary, and we're almost certain to qualify. It would take a remarkably close set of groups for us to go out as one of the worst third place teams. We can't even finish bottom with those results since the Swiss beat Hungary.

Beat the Swiss and draw with Hungary, and suddenly finishing bottom with 4 points becomes a possibility again, but would require Germany losing to Hungary and beating the Swiss to become a possibility. Either of those incredibly unlikely scenarios happen and we should declare war on God, as He clearly hates us.

Qualification is entirely in our own hands, and the team's very capable of achieving those results. Whether they're able to improve their performances enough is another matter. Fingers crossed.

I fancied the Swiss as dark horses before the tournament started, and they certainly did well for the most part against Hungary.

It's going to be difficult to lift morale in the squad after the manner of defeat on Friday night.

Confidence must've taken a knock too, and if we go behind again on Wednesday, I think we're in a spot of bother.

We knew at the outset that we had issues at right-back/right wing back, in the centre of our defence and light up front.

However, the midfield is also concerning. McGinn and McGregor seem to have lost form and I have doubts over the fitness of McTominay.

It's a real shame we lost Lewis Ferguson. He would've gave us options in there. I don't think there is any doubt that Gilmour must start against the Swiss.

We really need McGinn and McTominay to shine but, if I'm being honest, I just can't see us doing enough to progress to the last 16.

Switzerland look a decent side with obvious tournament pedigree, something that we lack. I’m resting my hat on the fact I know these lads are capable of much better, and have shown it too.

The stakes have never been higher for a lot of these guys in their international careers and it will be interesting to see how we react, huge mountain to climb but now is the time to puff out the chest and regroup.

With the correct approach and lineup, a draw or even 3 points is there for us as we can compete with Switzerland as long as the lads step it up massively from Friday night. I’ll take a draw now and hope that we see Hungary aside to get through as a best of the rest in 3rd.

Edited by HopeStreetCadette

We shouldn't be going in hoping for a draw.

We should be going in demanding a win. Not arrogance or delusion, but belief in our players and a game plan, both of which were lacking against Germany.