Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 vs Switzerland 🇨🇭

Jives Miguel

58 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Gilmour has to start, we couldn't keep the ball against the German press, we need to play our best and coolest passer. We were under constant pressure as we either gave it away in our own half or were forced to punt it long, where we lost it too.

Hanley to start for me too, we look much more organised as a defence when he's in the middle. 

Totally agree, I was absolutely astonished to see one of our best passers of the ball not starting. Almost unforgivable frankly...

36 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Thinking you might not qualify with 6 points is insane levels of panic merchant. 

It's the same guy that wanted Porteous hung, drawn and quartered. A full weekend of heads gone shite.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

We might not though. The only way to guarantee progression is to finish in the top two. 

This is absolutely insane stuff.

Three points might even be enough, and four points would probably be enough. To suggest that we wouldn't qualify on six points is absolutely mental.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

This is absolutely insane stuff.

Three points might even be enough, and four points would probably be enough. To suggest that we wouldn't qualify on six points is absolutely mental.

We almost certainly would be fine on 6 points, but it’d feel horrible to win two games and still only finish third. 

Nothing has changed since Thursday. Switzerland are a good team, one we can beat if we play well but we have to be much better. 

6 points qualifies us. Simple as that, go and do it. 

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Nothing has changed since Thursday. Switzerland are a good team, one we can beat if we play well but we have to be much better. 

Not obsessing over a win or even a draw at this stage. Just a good cohesive performance, solid defending and creation of some chances - and then it's que sera sera......

Man for man there is very little between the teams. If I was picking a strongest 11 I reckon it would be 6/5 one way or the other. They are in confident mood though, and Embolo continues to do that James McFadden thing of being borderline fucking useless at club level but turning into Pelé when he puts on the national team jersey.

Before Friday I was confident of a draw and hoped we might nick it. Now I can’t see it being anything but a struggle.

18 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Gilmour simply must start. He takes and moves the ball better than anyone in our team. He should be starting every single game for us really. Maybe stats would say otherwise but it seems to me that we give away possession significantly less when he plays. He provides an outlet and moves the ball instead of us being forced in to long punts (not always obviously, but more often).

I think we're simply a better team with him in it. Who should we drop? Based on yesterday it doesn't matter but personally I'd say Adams, which isn't a knock on him since he had f**k all to work with. I'd put Christie up top and have Gilmour in midfield if we're sticking with the same formation.

Obviously Gilmour is our most technically capable player. But in a side this wonky we need midfielders that can defend well and can score. Christie, McTominay, McGinn and McGregor can all finish while none of our forwards can, which is why their job is to hold it up and create space for a midfielder coming in. 13 of our 17 goals in qualifying were scored by midfielders.

Gilmour has never scored a club goal in his entire career. His one goal in professional football was against France in a friendly.

I might get shot down for this but I think Gilmour is a very poor presser. It's why Norwich ended up dropping him during his loan spell there, he was a passenger out of possession.

Gilmour's breakthrough game for Scotland came against England, when we played McTominay at centre half. I don't think anyone wants to try that again. So to play Gilmour we need to drop someone who either scores more or defends better than Gilmour - or both.

Don't get me wrong, I think he should start against Switzerland and Hungary too but it's not a no-brainer.

48 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

We almost certainly would be fine on 6 points, but it’d feel horrible to win two games and still only finish third. 

If we finish on six points, finish third, and don't qualify, then I will personally eat my own arse.

38 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes.

We were always more than likely to lose on Friday. The worry (and it is a worry) is that the manner of the performance gets the heads down and we struggle to recover.

A fully-fit and fully-firing Scotland is more than capable of beating Switzerland. It's whether Clarke can get the heads up and the morale going again for us to go into the game in that mentality.

15 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Man for man there is very little between the teams. If I was picking a strongest 11 I reckon it would be 6/5 one way or the other. They are in confident mood though, and Embolo continues to do that James McFadden thing of being borderline fucking useless at club level but turning into Pelé when he puts on the national team jersey.

Before Friday I was confident of a draw and hoped we might nick it. Now I can’t see it being anything but a struggle.

I really don't think there's any way of looking at our options at the back and up front and conclude we're anywhere near Switzerland's level. In each of the last five tournaments they've got out of their group, while we made it to just one of those tournaments, needed the League C play-offs to do so, had two games at Hampden, got 1 point and scored 1 goal. I know odds reflect money as much as probability but I think this is more than fair enough. 

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 11.56.08.png

10 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I really don't think there's any way of looking at our options at the back and up front and conclude we're anywhere near Switzerland's level. In each of the last five tournaments they've got out of their group, while we made it to just one of those tournaments, needed the League C play-offs to do so, had two games at Hampden, got 1 point and scored 1 goal. I know odds reflect money as much as probability but I think this is more than fair enough. 

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 11.56.08.png

If I was picking a strongest 11 from the squads I’d probably settle on:

Sommer

Robertson
Tierney
Akanji
Schär
Widmer

McGinn
Xhaka
McGregor
McTominay

Amdouni

Arguments over Freuler/McGregor/Gilmour there, and which Swiss attacker plays up front, but that’s about it for me

Edited by Ross.

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Nevermind 6 points.

I'd settle for having an actual shot on target at this point.

That's greedy.

Let's just settle for a shot.

We can leave all that fancy 'on target' caper to the big teams.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He probably is the best keeper we have but he had blame for 3 of the goals on Friday AND the one he got away with because VAR spotted Fullkrog offside. He had a poor game.

The 1st was the worst. Its not even close to the corner and he puts a full hand on it and fails to keep it out. The 5th's on him too. He gets his hand to that too and it wasnt struck that hard. He also fumbles a relatively tame header out centrally which creates the situation where Porteous gets himself red carded giving away the penalty for the 3rd. If he cant hold it he should be parrying that wide, not straight back out central.

Granted he's blameless on the 2nd and 4th.

I think the criticism is harsh. Third goal he saves. The team in front of him allowed Musiala to saunter through, knock the ball wide, get the cross in, win the header. He saves. Team in front of him fail to clear the ball when it breaks out from him.

Can’t recall the circumstances for the disallowed goal.

Fifth goal was right in the bottom corner. I wouldn’t blame him for that either. The ‘keeper is always the easy one to blame but the team in front of him were shocking on the night, especially in the first half.

17 minutes ago, Ross. said:

If I was picking a strongest 11 from the squads I’d probably settle on:

Sommer

Robertson
Tierney
Akanji
Schär
Widmer

McGinn
Xhaka
McGregor
McTominay

Amdouni

Arguments over Freuler/McGregor/Gilmour there, and which Swiss attacker plays up front, but that’s about it for me

I'd maybe quibble over the midfield a little, but the bigger point is that we have a midfield and two left backs, whereas they have a functioning team based around a good spine through keeper, central defence, central midfield and up front. Where they are stronger than us they're a lot stronger than us, and that's in both boxes where it matters most. Amdouni v Hanley and Akanji v Adams/ Shankland? Jesus. 

They also have experience of progress in tournaments while we have none, which has to count for a lot. 

3 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

To have a chance of qualification, we need 6 points imo. 

This is senseless.

Precedent tells us that 4 points would be extremely likely to get us through.  To say we need 6 even "to have a chance" is quite simply wrong.