Will we qualify out the groups

I wouldn't be putting money on it but I reckon if you run the simulation 100 times we maybe get 4 point 1 in 3 or 4.

Absolutely a chance but needs us turning up and putting in a Spain performance twice. 

7 hours ago, QOSfan019 said:

Will we mange to qualify out of the groups after that horror opener against Germany.It looks unlikely based on last nights performance that we will be able to beat both Hungary and Switzerland so may be looking at 3 points and praying the goal difference doesn’t come back to haunt us in the 3th place table.

The goal difference and probably that last goal conceded will come back to haunt us

14 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

I am looking at qualifying 2nd not the wing and a prayer 3rd stuff 

4 points isn't a wing and a prayer. Otherwise you're suggesting we need a minimum of 5 points to qualify. There's a fair chance we would have lost to Germany even if we had played to our maximum because they are better than us and they played very well last night. The fact we played poorly is immaterial in that respect if you only see 2nd place as not being a wing and a prayer.

Edited by 2426255

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

4 points isn't a wing and a prayer. Otherwise you're suggesting we need a minimum of 5 points to qualify. There's a fair chance we would have lost to Germany even if we had played to our maximum because they are better than us and they played very well last night. The fact we played poorly is immaterial in that respect if you only see 2nd place as not being a wing and a prayer.

We won't get 4 points,  we turn up in 1 fixture at any finals

4 minutes ago, Binos said:

No offense, but you're not a glass half full kind of guy when it comes to Scotland. 

7 minutes ago, Binos said:

Harsh on 96 and 92 where we turned up to all games.

In 96, before the penalty at Wembley we were well on top and pushing for the equaliser. We turned up against the Dutch that tournament too in a great performance that got us a point, and we of course beat Switzerland.

In 92 we were up against the reigning World and European champions and didn't embarrass ourselves. We then pumped CIS.

Edited by DA Baracus

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

No offense, but you're not a glass half full kind of guy when it comes to Scotland. 

That'll be Scotland that have done that 

Would love to be wrong 

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

In 96, before the penalty at Wembley we were well on top and pushing for the equaliser. We turned up against the Dutch that tournament too in a great performance that got us a point, and we of course beat Switzerland.

In 92 we were up against the reigning World and European champions and didn't embarrass ourselves. We then pumped CIS.

Give you 96, 92 we won the dead rubber 

The danes beat both those sides

But aye it was a very open tournament

3 minutes ago, Binos said:

Give you 96, 92 we won the dead rubber 

The danes beat both those sides

But aye it was a very open tournament

The Danes won it and were better than us.

45 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

With a - 6 GD against the Swiss I can't see a draw doing anything for us. Unless Germany scone them in a possible dead-rubber final game there is no way this team is turning around that goal difference. Win or bust already. 

4 points almost guarantees progression as a best 3rd place team, so it does in fact do something for us.

43 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

I am looking at qualifying 2nd not the wing and a prayer 3rd stuff 

Well that's a bit daft.

4 points would very probably get a team through in 3rd place.  It's only failed to once in a tournament run to this format.  It's hardly a mythical notion.

3 points will be enough to qualify in 3rd.

Not for us due to goal difference but it does mean that 4 points almost guarantees it

If Germany beat Hungary then a point for Switzerland will guarantee them 2nd place.

That definitely suits us, happily play out a 0-0 Germany-Austria style and take it to the last game against Hungary

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well that's a bit daft.

4 points would very probably get a team through in 3rd place.  It's only failed to once in a tournament run to this format.  It's hardly a mythical notion.

We've achieved 4 points, or equivalent, three times 

78, 82 that included iran & new zealand 

And 96 as pointed out above 

The players need 2 performances of their lives to turn this around

5 minutes ago, Binos said:

We've achieved 4 points, or equivalent, three times 

78, 82 that included iran & new zealand 

And 96 as pointed out above 

The players need 2 performances of their lives to turn this around

And the equivalent of 5 in 1974.

Of course the difference is that finishing 3rd in your group meant certain elimination in all those tournaments.

In several tournaments since, that's not been the case.  A single win against Uruguay would have got us through in 1986, because the two defeats which preceded the game were narrow.  Famously of course, we couldn't beat a side reduced to ten men in the 2nd minute.

Getting a point in our 2nd game should theoretically be easier this time than it looked in the last Euros and we managed it then.  It kept us alive going into the final group game.  We know the outcome of that though.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Flip side is that Hungary might effectively be toast by the time we play them. If we somehow wangle a draw against Switzerland we'd know a win against Hungary would likely be enough, and if they know they need to win and improve their goal difference they'll be desperate and open.

Definite whiff of 1998 though - we get the point in the second game, believe we can win the third game and qualify, and then get humped.

I've been saying for weeks that I could see this tournament being a carbon copy of France '98. Admittedly I thought we'd play better against Germany but still lose, like we did against Brazil.

Depends on how far the confidence has been dented by last night. Swiss are obviously a decent side and clearly we need to be at it from the very start on Wednesday. A draw is possible, and then a chance of beating Hungary.

If its another slow start on Wednesday and if they score first another long night in store though.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I've been saying for weeks that I could see this tournament being a carbon copy of France '98. Admittedly I thought we'd play better against Germany but still lose, like we did against Brazil.

That's how I see it. We get a point in Wednesday (which is a good result) then f**k it entirely against a Hungary team that's had back to back doings 

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Yup, we were excellent in 92. It's undoubtedly the high water mark for our national team. We could genuinely have been 5-0 up against Germany before they scored. I think they'd only had one shot on target when they went 2-0 up. Anything could have happened in the second half.

In 1996 England's whole tournament potentially pivoted on our penalty. They'd drawn with Switzerland in the opening game and knew they needed to beat us before facing the Dutch. If that penalty goes in there's a good chance we go on an win, or at least draw; we go through and they go out. Instead, the penalty gets saved, they run up the pitch and Gascoigne scores that goal, leading to the myth of England's great summer. A sliding doors moment. 

Edited by GordonS