Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇭🇺 Hungary

Scary Bear

2 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Steve Clarke is not the problem, lack of football skills is.

It’s a bit of both. We don’t have a great squad but I think if we were well coached we could be doing a bit better. Literally the worst team in the tournament this year. Albania and Georgia better. 

Ach I'm done for the night., cheers all. Thanks to Mr Clarke for some fun in qualifying but we've totally stunk out the tournament and by quite a considerable distance been the worst team in it.

Fair puts you off watching the rest of the fucking tournament.

5 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

If thats the best we as a footballing nation can produce, time we found a new national sport.

As my friend @Arthurlie1981stated in an earlier post, the malaise starts at youth level.

As a youth coach I have seen many a promising kid whisked off to pro-youth only to return a few years later a lesser player than when he left.

The scouts from pro-youth are sent out with quotas to fill; a centre-half, a right sided midfielder, not picking up the best talent.

I have done the SFA youth coaching courses and to be honest don't feel they are aimed at developing young talent or teaching them any game awareness of intelligence.

Guys like Gilmour, McGinn and McGregor are talented; but at international level they look way short. We have been the poorest team in this tournament. Basic football skills are not there. First touch, simple passing, control, movement and pitch awareness are lacking.

What is needed is a proper review like Germany had in the early 2000's.

I refuse to believe Scotland does not have talented, intelligent footballers out there. A first step would be to teach them at a young age to love the ball, not treat it like some diseased leper.

If we don't want to end up in the footballing wilderness, something has to change now.

Are our top clubs producing any quality players from the academy's. Don't see any evidence of it.

As a footballing nation we seem to be regressing and are being left behind by most other nations.

Have watched every other game  in Euros and enjoyed the quality and intricacies of both teams, watching Scotland is pure torture.

Bring on the red dots, will only prove further to me my thinking is right.

We've been doing these failure 'reviews' since Farry and Taylor. We're still awful at producing top talent, maybe worse than ever.

11 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Its been said before, but a switch to Summer football would perhaps help define a more skillful game.

How?

Scotland didn't qualify because the manager shat the bed.  Little more to ir than that.  

4 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Ach I'm done for the night., cheers all. Thanks to Mr Clarke for some fun in qualifying but we've totally stunk out the tournament and by quite a considerable distance been the worst team in it.

Fair puts you off watching the rest of the fucking tournament.

I'll be watching just to see Engerland get papped oot next

Don't have great problem with staying cagey for first half and getting in 0-0. But we have to take the handbrake off far earlier. 
We knew we needed a goal but he makes his attacking subs at 75 and still didn't address the problem - the lack of width in the system that we created to accommodate Robbo, Tierney, Hickey - one of whom was playing. 
If it's not time to bin it til they're all fit, it's at least time to be flexible enough to change it when needed - 60/70 mins in introduce Forrest and Morgan, have some wing play, put some balls in the box for Shankland. 

Thought with the big chances at the end one of them was going to go in. The keeper's save was a big one. Morgan has to leather it when it comes to him instead of hesitating. The Armstrong one looks a pen but why he's trying to draw contact instead of just spanking it only he knows - its a great chance. 

Overall, gutted not to get the win but just had such an incredible time out here. 

1 minute ago, lesheep said:

It’s a bit of both. We don’t have a great squad but I think if we were well coached we could be doing a bit better. Literally the worst team in the tournament this year. Albania and Georgia better. 

It’s a scathing assessment and it’s completely true imo. Georgia and Albania have been miles better than us. 

9 minutes ago, kent_don said:

Clarke was also asking why an Argentinian was in charge of a euros competition.

Never like to read too much into manager’s after-match words, but he gave the impression he was wearing a ‘Stop The Boats’ t-shirt when he gave that interview.

Just now, Biscuits said:

Is it worth actually qualifying?

Of course! The best fans thing is there to be won and we might actually learn how to deal with tournament football one day.

2 minutes ago, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

We've been doing these failure 'reviews' since Farry and Taylor. We're still awful at producing top talent, maybe worse than ever.

The talent is there I've seen it as a youth coach for 20 odd years. But it does not get developed further up the chain.

Just now, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

We've been doing these failure 'reviews' since Farry and Taylor.

It'd only be hijacked anyway: see McLeish Review implementation, see Scotland: 2020 Vision usurped by Project Brave, see Performance Schools.

It'd endup recommending more concentrated £, OF B-teams, etc.

8 minutes ago, Elixir said:

For 2026, we should accept the fact Tierney cannot be relied upon, bin the system designed to shoehorn him and Robertson into the starting eleven, and build the team around Ferguson and Gilmour. The former will be a Juventus player soon after he is back to fitness, yet the bald fraud refused to start the best midfielder in Italy prior to injury - quite incredible, frankly. McTominay can be played up front if need be. We need to hope that Doak becomes the player we all want him to be, and the likes of Conway and others continue to progress and break through. We need Doig to kick-on in Serie A as a long-term replacement to Robertson. If a couple of centre backs and a new net tender could materialise, that would also be ideal.

We won't, though, and it will be a wasted campaign.

Yes, agree with much of this. One of the problems I think Scotland have is thinking players that are aged 18-23 need more experience. You end up with players like Ferguson reaching aged 24/25 with very few caps as it's assumed they need more experience at international level.