Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇭🇺 Hungary

Scary Bear

Clarkes post game comments on the referee were embarrassing.

Asked if he had spoke to the officials about the penalty he said:

"What's the point, he's argentinian, why do we have an argentinian reffing the game, why haven't we got a european"

3 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

not having a look at Gauld for frendlies before euros baffling.

Taking Morgan and Forrest instead of Gauld is baffling. Bringing Gauld on at half time would have gave us another dimension tonight. 

39 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Guys like Gilmour, McGinn and McGregor are talented; but at international level they look way short. We have been the poorest team in this tournament. Basic football skills are not there. First touch, simple passing, control, movement and pitch awareness are lacking.

Gilmour should in no way whatsoever be used to highlight current issues. If we had equivalent players to his standard in other areas of the pitch we would be levels better.

McGinn looks like he needs a month on the beach. Guy played about 50 games for Villa last season. He'll be 30 soon as well and like a couple of players probably only has one, maybe two campaigns left.

McGregor has been a good servant for Scotland, but you do have to reflect on Celtic's dire record in Europe during his time at the club and wonder how that translates to matches against stronger opposition for Scotland. If he played at a higher level week in, week out, rather than be the big fish in a small pond, he'd have been a better player.

Just now, Coooombe said:

Taking Morgan and Forrest instead of Gauld is baffling. Bringing Gauld on at half time would have gave us another dimension tonight. 

Totally agree, the fact he hasnt had a sniff is mind boggling

7 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

not having a look at Gauld for frendlies before euros baffling.

Even more so given the Morgan call-up.

5 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

"What's the point, he's argentinian, why do we have an argentinian reffing the game, why haven't we got a european"

It's worth noting this policy isn't new either - there were Argentinian officials at the last Euros and Spanish officials at the last Copa America plus Italian officials at the Copa America right now.

11 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

"What's the point he is from Argentina? What's the point? Why is it not a European referee? Trying to be clever. I don't know. I don't understand. I don't understand why he is here and not in his own country refereeing the game. I don't understand how VAR can look at that and say it is not a penalty. It's just my opinion."

Word for word what he said on the radio apparently.

That is not...good.

All in all, a pretty miserable tournament football wise. Looked like a team that needed a point tonight, not a win. Hungary goalie could have took the night off and they'd still have drawn with us.

It's not even glorious failure anymore, just out and out failure 

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I know the Tartan Army love him but Wee McGregor totally shat the tackle that led to their goal.

Thats unforgivable. You don’t shit out a tackle.

Chances of all 4 maybe low but if Spain + Italy win tomorrow then Portugal + Turkey win on Wednesday then somebody stopping that counterattack and it finishing 0-0 would've been enough.

2 minutes ago, Squalor Vic said:

All in all, a pretty miserable tournament football wise. Looked like a team that needed a point tonight, not a win. Hungary goalie could have took the night off and they'd still have drawn with us.

It's not even glorious failure anymore, just out and out failure 

To be fair for most of the match Hungary also looked like a side that also needed a point. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

44 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Yeah, but membership of UEFA has risen from 31 to 55 since the 90s. 1 good USSR team has become umpteen different sides, 4 or 5 of which are very good in their own right. Yugoslavia are now Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia, none of whom are pushovers. So yeah, there are more spots available but there’s far more competition for them.

Qualifying for a Euros in 92 that the likes of Italy and Spain failed to qualify for was a pretty good achievement. We also did well in qualifying in 96 and 98, when sides like Croatia were already strong. Most of those teams were already pretty strong by the mid nineties. Getting four points in a group with Holland, England, and Switzerland is better than anything we were going to achieve this time round

There's certainly a valid argument in what you say, but I don't think the top 16 or so teams are necessarily stronger now than they were (comparatively speaking) in the mid 90s - there's just a slightly bigger block trying to break into it. I don't think much has really changed in that regard anyway since the late 90s, hence the marginal improvement from us comment. Let's not forget that Russia aren't even involved at the moment, which is a strong team out of the picture. 

20 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

That’s 8 of the players from this failed campaign. Are Hickey, Ferguson and Doak going to make the difference and get us qualifying from the group stages?

Can only really pish with the cock we've got. Ideally some more players will emerge and/or improve over the next couple of years. A better manager should also get more out of a team like that, frankly.

17 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Josh Doig has been playing in Italian football. Any sniff of a full cap? Aye. Right. 

He should be in and ready to take over from Robertson as soon as he sacks it, no doubt about it. We'll probably end up plumping for some fucking mug with a Scottish Gran who plays in the English Championship instead, considering the best midfielder in Italy this season wasn't once deemed to merit a start.

12 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I do like this but I'd be moving McGinn back, in place of McGregor with one of Dykes, Shankland or Conway starting striker.  

Yup, McGinn in place of McGregor and someone else out wide should also work. In theory, Hickey/Doak could offer us fantastic width - it would be great if we had someone who could offer similar with Robertson (hopefully Doig in future).

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

"What's the point he is from Argentina? What's the point? Why is it not a European referee? Trying to be clever. I don't know. I don't understand. I don't understand why he is here and not in his own country refereeing the game. I don't understand how VAR can look at that and say it is not a penalty. It's just my opinion."

Word for word what he said on the radio apparently.

That is not...good.

Pretty much highlights his whole demeanour in post match interviews to be fair.  He has definitely seemed to be a lot more abrupt/snippier with the media during this tournament, whether that's a consequence of him feeling the pressure or what not, it's hard to tell. Fair enough to moan about the penalty (which frankly could have gone either way) but not a great approach

52 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I'll be watching just to see Engerland get papped oot next

As will most of the country but they're already on 4 points, would need something crazy to happen for them not to get through the group stages