Scotland ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ v ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡บ Hungary

Scary Bear

6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Chances of all 4 maybe low but if Spain + Italy win tomorrow then Portugal + Turkey win on Wednesday then somebody stopping that counterattack and it finishing 0-0 would've been enough.

How does that make it ok for Wee McGregor to shite a tackle ?

4 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

image.thumb.png.b7625cf568a8af270b5daf15782daeae.png

I think this quote depends very much on what was meant by 'top level'.ย  At the beginning of the BBC coverage, they were talking about Scotland players and their lack of game time at EPL teams.ย  ย Given the general propensity of the media so far to consider the EPL the be all and end all, it could well be that's what Moyes refers to.ย  In general, he probably has a point, and if/when Clarke is replaced the general strategy on replacement needs to consider how we integrate young players and also what a good youth development process looks like.

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

How does that make it ok for Wee McGregor to shite a tackle ?

It doesn't - I'm agreeing with you, and observing it may actually have cost us a place in the knockout stages... I think Czech Rep may well get a result off Turkey, but the other 3 will probably win.

Clarke did well to get us qualification for consecutive euros. We failed last time round, first tournament in 20+ years so fair enough. But it feels nothing was learnt, and no improvement at all, which is probably the most disappointing thing.

Again not picking Gilmour in our opening match when you need a player able to keep possession against this quality of opponent was an error. I get that we donโ€™t have a depth of quality like other nations, but the abject failure of our set pieces, which would have been our best opportunity of creating chances, ย is inexcusable.

ย 

Not convinced giving Moyes the job wouldnโ€™t just be more of the same. Something different for me, possibly foreign with experience of leading a country in a tournament.

ย 

For just once in my life I'd love to see us play quick press, counter attacking football.

Instead we get the same old slow, side to side, take a touch, pass it back nonsense that we've had for years. When are we going to be brave enough to appoint someone who'll take a risk and implement an actual system? Something technically good.

Look at Georgia and Albania. Very limited player pool, but playing a nice brand of football and giving it a real go.

What a horrible night. We were miles off it and somehow made a really poor Hungary side look passable.ย 
ย 

To the Aberdeen boys who caught the wrong train and had to get off at Ulm, I hope you found that strip club.ย 

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Clarke did well to get us qualification for consecutive euros. We failed last time round, first tournament in 20+ years so fair enough. But it feels nothing was learnt, and no improvement at all, which is probably the most disappointing thing.

Again not picking Gilmour in our opening match when you need a player able to keep possession against this quality of opponent was an error. I get that we donโ€™t have a depth of quality like other nations, but the abject failure of our set pieces, which would have been our best opportunity of creating chances, ย is inexcusable.

ย 

Not convinced giving Moyes the job wouldnโ€™t just be more of the same. Something different for me, possibly foreign with experience of leading a country in a tournament.

ย 

Needs to be foreign. I'm fed up of the same old managerial carousel, as we just get more of the same every time.

Would be a different story if there were Scottish coaches deviating from the usual approach and taking risks to implement their style of play, but there aren't really.

Youth development is a big problem. Jobs for the boys at Celtic all the time - we haven't brought anyone of note through in a long time. When we do it's an isolated occurence. Any young Scottish talent that comes our way rots.ย 

5 minutes ago, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

Ralston took some beating btw - one to the stomach, one to the head, and absolutely battered by Gunn at that corner. Impressive resilience to keep going.

Karma for his performances vs Germany and Switzerland imo.ย 

And that time he tried to troll Neymar.ย 

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Over 60% of the players in the Scottish Premiership are non Scots. ย Most of them are dross. ย 

I've said it before but someone like Curtis Main join a different top level club every year, does absolutely f**k all, and a youngster doesn't get a chance.

But when the average manager is getting binned after 6-10 months, youth development has absolutely no chance.

Scottish football is all about survival, not development. ย You can rightfully criticise pretty much everyone in Scottish football but fans also have to take a lot of the blame.

The entire footballing culture and mentality is badly, badly wrong. ย 

It's seriously about time we adopt a overhauled football system in the country and actually focus on the youth development and build some sort of domestic player policy like you see in other countries our size.

Would go some way in stopping English clubs coming up and stealing players.

ย 

Probably agree with Moyes. We have quite a few good players and some more average ones relatively speaking. There's no shame in going out of the tournament. I think you play that game 10 times we win it 3 or 4 times, draw it 3 or 4 times or lose it 3 or 4 times.

Overall I'm sure it was obvious to all that we really found it difficult to create anything meaningful in the final third. That's been quite a big problem for us, something that will need to be re-addressed, but we have made significant and varied attempts to improve that so it won't be easy. If it had been a normal game it would have finished 0-0 as we'd probably not opened up so much to win the game and generally defensively I thought we were generally pretty good until we started to chase.

It's frustrating and disappointing to go out of the tournament, more disappointed for those actually there and putting so much work into it. At the end of the day I prefer to look at the joy and excitement it has brought along the way rather than be too down about being out. There'll be more competitions and tournaments. I don't feel any need to be emotional or vent about it.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Gilmour should in no way whatsoever be used to highlight current issues. If we had equivalent players to his standard in other areas of the pitch we would be levels better.

McGinn looks like he needs a month on the beach. Guy played about 50 games for Villa last season. He'll be 30 soon as well and like a couple of players probably only has one, maybe two campaigns left.

McGregor has been a good servant for Scotland, but you do have to reflect on Celtic's dire record in Europe during his time at the club and wonder how that translates to matches against stronger opposition for Scotland. If he played at a higher level week in, week out, rather than be the big fish in a small pond, he'd have been a better player.

Called out mcgregor earlier in the thread and after the germany game as well, he is absolutely nowhere near consistent enough at this level to play for Scotland, if he was he'd not be anywhere near celtic,ย 

Its telling how not one club has went to celtic for him over the years,ย 

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Probably agree with Moyes. We have quite a few good players and some more average ones relatively speaking. There's no shame in going out of the tournament. I think you play that game 10 times we win it 3 or 4 times, draw it 3 or 4 times or lose it 3 or 4 times.

Overall I'm sure it was obvious to all that we really found it difficult to create anything meaningful in the final third. That's been quite a big problem for us, something that will need to be re-addressed, but we have made significant and varied attempts to improve that so it won't be easy. If it had been a normal game it would have finished 0-0 as we'd probably not opened up so much to win the game and generally defensively I thought we were generally pretty good until we started to chase.

It's frustrating and disappointing to go out of the tournament, more disappointed for those actually there and putting so much work into it. At the end of the day I prefer to look at the joy and excitement it has brought along the way rather than be too down about being out. There'll be more competitions and tournaments. I don't feel any need to be emotional or vent about it.

Scotland under clarke will always struggle to create anything meaningful because no matter the game, the opposition, the result required, clarke will set up firstly to not lose before trying to win

Hungary there for the taking and he started the most defensive formation any team has played this tournament yetย 

22 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Scotland under clarke will always struggle to create anything meaningful because no matter the game, the opposition, the result required, clarke will set up firstly to not lose before trying to win

Hungary there for the taking and he started the most defensive formation any team has played this tournament yetย 

I wouldn't say we were defensive. We just struggled to create productive attacks. I thought Hungary could have been described more as defensive because they were quite happy to sit deep and hit on the counter. They stopped us playing through the centre and getting into dangerous wide attacking positions so you have to say they did a good job in that respect.

We had a big issue even getting near their final third. I don't know why that was exactly.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Second this. ย Itโ€™s disappointing, of course. ย Clarke got his tactics wrong this tournament - hopefully he learns from it. ย We need a more balance squad next time, hopefully with better options on attack and defence. ย 
ย 

But you have to be in a tournament to have an underwhelming exit from it. ย So Iโ€™ll enjoy the rest of Euro 2024 without a sick feeling in my stomach, and then look forward to 2026!

Another Scottish national team caught up in the cocophony of bullshit that surrounds them.ย 
ย 

Next WC, get the best hotel in Miami. None of the tartan army morons are allowed within a mile of the team. Let them do it. Become big time or perpetually shit.ย 

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I wouldn't say we were defensive. We just struggled to create productive attacks. I thought Hungary could have been described more as defensive because they were quite happy to sit deep and hit on the counter. They stopped us playing through the centre and getting into dangerous wide attacking positions so you have to say they did a good job in that respect.

We had a big issue even getting near their final third. I don't know why that was exactly.

It was disappointing to hear Clarke moan about the penalty decision going against Scotland when, as you say, we didn't get anywhere near their penalty box until very late on in the second half.ย  Hungary perhaps struggled a bit particularly early on as there wasn't anything to counterย 

With players like Gilmour, Robertson and McGinn that should be our strongest area. With us playing the likes of Croatia and Portugal in the next few months, essentially in competitive matches, it might get worse before it gets better.