Scotland ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ v ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡บ Hungary

Scary Bear

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It doesn't - I'm agreeing with you, and observing it may actually have cost us a place in the knockout stages... I think Czech Rep may well get a result off Turkey, but the other 3 will probably win.

Ah ok - fair enough mate. I hate players shitting tackles as youโ€™ve probably guessed.

I'm not on here to defend Clarke, he got so many things wrong, from setup, system and probably selection but the players have to take responsibility for their performances.

These are highly paid professionals who can think for themselves. Can anyone hand on heart honestly say any Scottish player has been impressive in any game.

Gilmour was our best by a country mile but didn't set any heather alight. The players that came on made the situation worse.

It looked at 90 mins that everyone connected with the team had lost their head.

We don't appear to be improving as a football nation on or off the park. Maybe we should go back to hoofball is that what we want.

ย 

The most disappointing aspect for me is that over the piece we just didnโ€™t have a go. All well and good qualifying, and hats of to Clarke and the squad for that, but what is the point in putting all that effort In to getting there, when we go out with an absolute whimper.

9 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I know the Tartan Army love him but Wee McGregor totally shat the tackle that led to their goal.

Thats unforgivable. You donโ€™t shit out a tackle.

Also unforgivabble how he let himself be bo ragged, twice, for one of the Germany goals. Looked totally out of his depth, along with a few other this tournament.

39 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

We had McTominay , who at 6โ€™3 and one of the best headers of the ball in our team taking corners!

WTF ?ย 

Yes. Daft.ย 

And his corners like all our set pieces were shit.ย 

4 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Also unforgivabble how he let himself be bo ragged, twice, for one of the Germany goals. Looked totally out of his depth, along with a few other this tournament.

I think Wee McGregor is a good player at Scottish Premiership level but thereโ€™s a reason heโ€™s never played at a higher level.

Heโ€™s physically weak and itโ€™s been shown over the last couple of weeks.

If you have relatively limited players and a defensive, negative manager then the chance of you getting out of the group will be close to 0, and that's exactly what's happened here.ย 

If you only have one of those two factors, then you have a chance of progression.

6 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

MacGregor was one of our great noshows in the tournament. Some were utter pony like Porteous and Ralston and some like Robertson and McGinn just didn't show. MacGregor was between shit and AWOL.

9 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I think Wee McGregor is a good player at Scottish Premiership level but thereโ€™s a reason heโ€™s never played at a higher level.

Heโ€™s physically weak and itโ€™s been shown over the last couple of weeks.

This is it.ย  McGregor is a flat track bully at Celtic, but gets shown up against better opposition.ย  Robertson is the same to a certain extent at Liverpool.

9 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I know the Tartan Army love him but Wee McGregor totally shat the tackle that led to their goal.

Thats unforgivable. You donโ€™t shit out a tackle.

ย 

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Chances of all 4 maybe low but if Spain + Italy win tomorrow then Portugal + Turkey win on Wednesday then somebody stopping that counterattack and it finishing 0-0 would've been enough.

Morgan should have cleaned out the boy on the halfway line. Take the yellow, regroup and maybe get one last go at launching it into their box.

I think that, to an extent, Ralston can be forgiven. At best he's everyone's 3rd choice for that position, we'll behind Hickey and Patterson. And he knows this too. Had either been fit, he wouldn't have been on the pitch. Both fit and he wouldn't be at the tournament.ย 

No shame in a 2nd rate country's 3rd choice player being out of his depth. And to be fair, he did put a couple of decent balls into the box against Swiss and Hungary. Just we had no one to attack them.

How McGregor got the start for all 3 games though, in a position which is arguably our strongest, is a bit baffling!

There's a much wider point than yet another tame elimination from a tournament.ย  Suppose Steve Clarke decides he's had enough or he is asked to step down, just who will be interested in taking on the jobย  ?

Sure there will be applicants aplenty but any manager of some pedigree watching on will be aware of the serious limitations of a very narrow squad of players, with very little indication of a coming generation.ย 

In short, whether Clarke remains or is replaced there is an enormous task in trying to take Scotland to a level where we can qualify for tournaments and once we get there actually COMPETE without us all cowering behind the couch.ย  Forget the penalty claims and the other chicken shit margins and actually address the serious structural issues.

More focus on this and less on the supporters, wonderful as they are, might, just might be a start.

33 minutes ago, renton said:

Agree with this. Clarke's game plan is built on Tierney breaking lines from CB, allowing him or Robertson to overlap and provide width down that side, and having a hold up player in the striker position to allow runners beyond him. He can legitimately point to injuries preventing his system for working as intended, but not for persisting with a system that can't work without the right players in it.

His job is to set the team up with some kind of pathway to success, where was that last night? He needed width and did nothing about it all game. If your system is flat without the right players, change the system, and even with injuries - in McTominay, Gilmour, McGinn we still should have guys good enough to create issues for the opposition if set up correctly.

ย 

I just don't think that's really any excuse, your last line there is spot on. The chances of Tierney playing 3 games in 9 days was almost nil. I remember posting on here months ago that if Tierney made it to the tournament at all it was a bonus, if he played all 3 games a minor miracle, therefore there needed to be a well established alternative. He's had months to try and find solutions to that. Plus the evidence of the first 2 games when he was playing was that he wouldn't have made a major difference.

4 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

I think that, to an extent, Ralston can be forgiven. At best he's everyone's 3rd choice for that position, we'll behind Hickey and Patterson. And he knows this too. Had either been fit, he wouldn't have been on the pitch. Both fit and he wouldn't be at the tournament.ย 

He didn't shy away and had a good game last night.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

He didn't shy away and had a good game last night.

Only he, Hendry and Gilmour got pass marks for me last night.

1 hour ago, GallowayBlue said:

Did anyone else have the feeling that Scotland just really didn't want to draw?

Would have meant hanging about a bit longer, waiting on results etc.

Not saying that they flogged a goal by any means, but the totally open all out attack effort at the end was all or nothing when maybe that wasn't required.

Have to admit at the game I personally thought we went gung ho unnecessarily and possibly too early. I was incredulous Gunn was aaking permission to go up for the late corner. Two points didnt necessarily put us out and whilst we were desperate to win, I didnt see a need to win at all costs. Hungary needed to do that, we didnt.

That said, if we dont gamble late and it finishes 0-0 Clarke would have been absolutely crucified on here. Even if we'd ultimately go through he'd have been considered lucky.

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I wouldn't say we were defensive. We just struggled to create productive attacks. I thought Hungary could have been described more as defensive because they were quite happy to sit deep and hit on the counter. They stopped us playing through the centre and getting into dangerous wide attacking positions so you have to say they did a good job in that respect.

We had a big issue even getting near their final third. I don't know why that was exactly.

Setting up with 3 centre halves and only 1 striker is defensive no matter how its spun

When it was clearly obvious hungary were negating scotlands counter attack, Clarke should have went two up top asap and sacrificed a centre half, instead he waited till baw deep in the second half and his subs were too late to do anything but watch as hungary papped them out on their arse

Hungary lost 5 goals in 2 games and Clarke set up to barely cross the halfway line in numbers, absolute shite set up

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Have to admit at the game I personally thought we went gung ho unnecessarily and possibly too early. I was incredulous Gunn was aaking permission to go up for the late corner. Two points didnt necessarily put us out and whilst we were desperate to win, I didnt see a need to win at all costs. Hungary needed to do that, we didnt.

That said, if we dont gamble late and it finishes 0-0 Clarke would have been absolutely crucified on here. Even if we'd ultimately go through he'd have been considered lucky.

I think, like you say, a 0-0 would not have gone down well.ย  I expect 2 points will end up not being enough, so is it better to not go for it, get a draw, and be in for a few more days?ย  I'd rather have seen them take a proper go at it and lose than not and draw.ย  Of course, we had a half-arsed go and still lost, but still.

17 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

There's a much wider point than yet another tame elimination from a tournament.ย  Suppose Steve Clarke decides he's had enough or he is asked to step down, just who will be interested in taking on the jobย  ?

Sure there will be applicants aplenty but any manager of some pedigree watching on will be aware of the serious limitations of a very narrow squad of players, with very little indication of a coming generation.ย 

In short, whether Clarke remains or is replaced there is an enormous task in trying to take Scotland to a level where we can qualify for tournaments and once we get there actually COMPETE without us all cowering behind the couch.ย  Forget the penalty claims and the other chicken shit margins and actually address the serious structural issues.

More focus on this and less on the supporters, wonderful as they are, might, just might be a start.

Absolutely no way that scotland team shouldn't be so timid against the likes of Hungaryย 

Fair enough big teams like germany etc, but how clarke had them giving it a right good go against the swiss and then have 4 attempts and 0 on target against Hungary isnt down to players, its down to the setup