Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇭🇺 Hungary

Scary Bear

15 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

That's it in a nutshell .If we had a more attack minded coach theres no reason why we shouldn't have  reached the group stages like 'lesser' nations before us.

I'm finding Clarkes sour pus increasingly annoying and his quip at the ref no matter how justified defected from the real reason we lost...his tactics!

Agreed. His short answers to legitimate questions were unnecessary. Showed how thin skinned he is. 

He is absolutely at fault for how the games panned out and should face the questions and criticisms that come his way in a dignified manner. Got Nigel Pearson vibes from him at times.

13 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

I think I see something in Hendry others don't. He always seems to get pelters but I think he was far and away our best defender over all 3 games 

Aye I thought Hendry was good especially against Hungary. McKenna was decent aswell I thought.

They could definitely be a partnership for the future(under the right manager).

Overall though, we're crying out for a goalie, a centre back or two, a couple of wingers and a striker who plays with confidence.

I swear if I see one more person saying it’s down to a lack of quality.

There should be a note at the top of this page listing all the worse squads that have out performed us at tournaments over the last decade.

12 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

There should be a note at the top of this page listing all the worse squads that have out performed us at tournaments over the last decade.

We expect so little and yet constantly get less..

Iceland... unbeaten in the group in 2016. Northern Ireland .. made the knockout stages.

We go in aiming for 4 points out of 3 games in what was hardly a group of death. And finish with 1. Having stunk the place out at the last Euros too.

Edited by FalkirkBairn2021

Before the tournament started, it was a bit concerning to hear some soundbites coming from the Scotland camp via player interviews (e.g. ''It's been a while since we qualified for two consecutive Euros, so we're here to enjoy ourselves first and foremost'').

If we qualified for a third consecutive Euros, would we hear similar quotes yet again? There comes a point when you've got to acknowledge that progress is imperative. We don't want the reputation of being some sort of jolly japester nation who opposition fans love but who provide nothing on the actual pitch and don't seem to care about it very much.

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

Before the tournament started, it was a bit concerning to hear some soundbites coming from the Scotland camp via player interviews (e.g. ''It's been a while since we qualified for two consecutive Euros, so we're here to enjoy ourselves first and foremost'').

If we qualified for a third consecutive Euros, would we hear similar quotes yet again? There comes a point when you've got to acknowledge that progress is imperative. We don't want the reputation of being some sort of jolly japester nation who opposition fans love but who provide nothing on the actual pitch and don't seem to care about it very much.

Our mentality was summed up when we were bodied by Ukraine at home in that WC playoff only to see fucking Wales dispose of them later .

We're far too happy to be there. As long as the fans 'on manoeuvres ' have a guid drink all is well 

4 hours ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

I thought Hungary were terrible given they absolutely had to win and we are pisspoor. 

Saw them give Germany loads of trouble in game 2 and expected more of the same. They were 15 seconds away from Hungarian p and b mauling them. 

But they did win.

6 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

As long as the wacky funsters win the imaginary off the field trophy, why should the actual football matter? 

It’s hard to believe that this time last year we were reaching almost 1978 levels of optimism about this tournament, expecting to at the very least be able to get out of the group.

Being over here has been great, meeting other supporters from all over Europe. Visiting Munich, Koln & Stuttgart and being welcomed by the locals. Enjoying the beer and the food. Driving on the autobahn and having other Scots and Germans tooting and waving at the flags on our car.

The only downside had been the performance of the football team. 

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

But they did win.

With a last second goal. Because we played a 1-9 formation for the last 60 seconds.

It should have been 0-0.. and they should have been booting themselves all the way home that they didn't do enough

Just now, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

With a last second goal. Because we played a 1-9 formation for the last 60 seconds.

It should have been 0-0.. and they should have been booting themselves all the way home that they didn't do enough

Hungary were shit, but completely out did us from a tactical perspective which is some doing from us. 

As well as the other examples, Australia's squad is mince and they got out of the WC groups with 6 points and gave a good account of themselves against Argentina in the knockouts.

Lack of quality is not an excuse for such a pathetic effort.

5 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

If your Auntie had balls she'd be your uncle.

If I was Hungary's manager, here's my post match analysis.

We were great, very patient, we knew their plan and their weaknesses. Chances came and were missed, but I had every confidence we'd get one. We allowed them possession and hit on the break, like we've done in other games.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

The game finished about midnight here (Crete) and I'm just up (lazy git) so I've not had much chance to go over last night's match in much detail, so here's my knee-jerk reaction. I've only read the previous 2 pages here.  Some neutrals started watching the game, but drifted away. There was nothing happening to make them want to stay.

We were far too cautious.  When I watch Scotland I'm not expecting them to play like fkkn Brazil, but to watch the ball constantly going sideways between 4 at the back was mind-numbing.  Frankly we were boring.

UEFA could have rented out the wings for a herd of cows to graze on and our "attacking play" wouldn't have inconvenienced them in the least. Some Scottish millionaire needs to set up a "wingers" factory.  Our lack of guile going forward was grim.

As for the manager's future? I don't know. Maybe last night is too recent to give a verdict. It looked to me that the team were definitely sticking to a plan, even although after about 20 minutes it was clear that the plan wasn't working.  If there was no plan B, that's down to the manager. He seems to have a genuine rapport with the squad, but that clearly isn't producing the performances required at this level.

Maybe keep him. If he fails to get us to the World Cup, he can always be sentenced to life imprisonment on Rockall.  If there's another genuine contender who actually sees something in the available players then aye, give them a go.  I'm in my 60's. I'd like to see us get to the second phase even once before I'm offski!

I'm 71, I'm not going to see it now. Thought that last night was going to be it.

My thinking never was that great...

21 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

It is lack of quality. Lack of ability across the squad leaving glaring weaknesses. The lack of being able to play keep-ball and control a game at this level. The lack of tactical awareness to stop fucking up. Those "worse squads" found a way. We never do. Ever.

We live on the back of "we never make it easy, eh?" which is meaningless when you fail every single time.  We do win the comedy scotsman award that the tourists just love. 

It is not just a coach. 

16 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Hearts fans on social media are imbeciles.  Most of them  on here seem to realise Adams is a much better option for this team than an overweight Shankland, but on Twitter they seem to want Clarke hung, drawn and quartered.  

Even as a Hearts fan watching the Switzerland game in the boozer I was going to strangle the next person to go on about Shankland.

Poor “game management” in all three games imo. Last night going from being fairly conservative to all out hung ho with no middle step was always going to be high risk. The timing of subs, changes in formation etc across all three games has been rotten. 

27 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

We expect so little and yet constantly get less..

Iceland... unbeaten in the group in 2016. Northern Ireland .. made the knockout stages.

We go in aiming for 4 points out of 3 games in what was hardly a group of death. And finish with 1. Having stunk the place out at the last Euros too.

Yes, after an absolutely heroic display by Mikey McGovern kept Germany to a 1-0 win.

Compare that to our embarrassment in the opening game- on paper our side much superior to NI's back then. They really had the right attitutude to that game which we sadly lacked.