Next permanent manager of the Conservative and Unionist Party 2024

Who will be the next Tory leader?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but.

There is an immigration issue that people want to ignore because it is wrought with difficulties and that issue is integration.

I’ve had a few attempts at what to write after that last line but am having trouble expressing it well enough so I will leave it at this, if immigrants cannot/do not want to integrate it will cause problems and the feelings that have seen a marked increase of support for the like of Farage will not go away, they may well intensify.

How's your Spanish coming along?

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but.

There is an immigration issue that people want to ignore because it is wrought with difficulties and that issue is integration.

I’ve had a few attempts at what to write after that last line but am having trouble expressing it well enough so I will leave it at this, if immigrants cannot/do not want to integrate it will cause problems and the feelings that have seen a marked increase of support for the like of Farage will not go away, they may well intensify.

Context is important here.

If there's a large number of people setting up home in the home counties or big cities, as expatriates for a few years then they'll be indistinguishable from internal migrants from our declining towns in most ways and are unlikely to cause many problems. 

There's possible issues where immigrant populations start to coalesce around an area. But they're only possible issues. Peaceful and happy living side by side is possible, and probably the norm. Occasionally tensions will spill over. 

Some people (not saying you) use a lack of integration as a dog whistle for just being different. 

Of course Muslim refugees don't go to the church on Sunday or the Tuesday pub quiz. They might still be interested in local politics, the school board etc or happy to stop for a chat. Not getting shitfaced doesn't equate to being mad for Shariah. 

30 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Context is important here.

If there's a large number of people setting up home in the home counties or big cities, as expatriates for a few years then they'll be indistinguishable from internal migrants from our declining towns in most ways and are unlikely to cause many problems. 

There's possible issues where immigrant populations start to coalesce around an area. But they're only possible issues. Peaceful and happy living side by side is possible, and probably the norm. Occasionally tensions will spill over. 

Some people (not saying you) use a lack of integration as a dog whistle for just being different. 

Of course Muslim refugees don't go to the church on Sunday or the Tuesday pub quiz. They might still be interested in local politics, the school board etc or happy to stop for a chat. Not getting shitfaced doesn't equate to being mad for Shariah. 

Relatively few folk go to church on Sunday, probably similar percentages that go the the Tuesday pub quiz.

I don’t see people who primarily identify by their religious affiliation as likely to integrate as folk who don’t.

For the record that does not just apply to Muslims or even immigrants.  Jehovah’s Witnesses are another similar bunch who want to segregate rather than integrate.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

How's your Spanish coming along?

Bueno.

Even if it wasn’t I’d feel a lot of affinity with the locals here including the local migrants.  We have done nothing in our 33 months here to make any bonds with the ‘expat’ community.

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

He's the favourite to win, and I hope he does. He'll keep the loonballs unelectable. 

I read a bit that the grandees would rather avoid him because his Richard Desmond £1bn property planning escapades didn't get much press coverage and there's a whole lot more related to that that could be fired at him as new news. 

ETA - I'm pretty sure Bad Enoch could go toe-to-toe with him in a dribble-off. 

Edited by carpetmonster

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Badenoch is positively wholesome and rational compared to this creepy c**t.

Genuinely burst out laughing at this.

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I watched Tutankhamun and Badenough getting grilled lightly at the conference today, Tutenkamen got more enthusiastic applause. Jenp***k and Dimmerly on stage tomorrow.

I can’t see any of these nicknames names sticking. 

21 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

I can’t see any of these nicknames names sticking. 

No, maybe Dimmerly but probably not. I just couldn't be arsed checking the spelling of the first two.

Maybe not the right place but this made me chuckle. Karma's a bitch Gullis.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/gullis-suggests-schools-wont-employ-him-because-hes-a-former-tory-mp/

This may not have helped his teaching aspirations 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cx728nx758go.amp

Edited by Swordfishtrombone
Spelling

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Badenoch is positively wholesome and rational compared to this creepy c**t.

He'll win, since Badenoch has pissed just about everyone off with her maternity leave comments. I see she's doing her usual shtick and picking fights with people, claiming she's been misinterpreted. A deeply unserious politician. 

I've said it before, but Jenrick being a total piece of shit went under the radar because he wasn't a ranting lunatic like Braverman. Like Braverman is spouse is Jewish, which might explain some of his bizarre comments on the subject. 

Cleverly and Tugendhat are too lefty for the membership so we can exclude them. 

Jenrick has a lot of baggage that might come back to haunt him and it seems his wife has represented some questionable characters.

He might win back support of many of those who supported Farage last time around, then again it might turn into a battle of who can be nastier to foreigners.

36 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Jenrick has a lot of baggage that might come back to haunt him and it seems his wife has represented some questionable characters.

He might win back support of many of those who supported Farage last time around, then again it might turn into a battle of who can be nastier to foreigners.

Jenrick is famous for having those cartoons painted over.  If I wanted to piss him off I would wear a t-shirt with a cartoon on it.