Scotland's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Scotland's next permanent manager?  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I think I understand you now, but still, that's bare minimum stuff surely, like getting praise for turning up to work on time.

I always say that for fans the teams maximum results wise is their minimum expectations wise. I think we've done the minimum by qualifying for every other tournament which is the requirement in his contract last we know of. I think we've done more by making 2 out of 3. I think we've done more with the bigger picture stuff. That's how I see it. I assume that's how the board see things given the existing contract runs until 2026 and their recent public statements regarding Clarke.

Qualifying from the group at Euro-2024 would have been a cherry on top. That's how I see it and I know fans aren't going to like that, but I think it's reasonable and has a basis behind it.

Edited by 2426255

The issue with Moyes is that there's probably a decent chance he ditches us the first time a #Barclays club flashes their knickers at him.

Left field jonny foreigner with tactical expertise and international experience for me pls.

Clarke will stay tho.

This isn't a work in progress. It's a team which has one way of playing and which usually can't play that way because one or more of the essential personnel are injured or suspended. It's also a team which hasn't won a match against professional opposition in ten games. Farcical to suggest it's on course for anything other than another fucking double-header with Israel or Montenegro or whatever for second place in the next qualification group.

Moyes was absolutely brilliant in Europe with West Ham, a Europa League semi final loss against Frankfurt after Aaron Creswell had a brain fart, winning the Conference League and then losing to Bayer Leverkusen in the QF of the Europa League last season. 

He made West Ham a formidable outfit in Europe ridiculously quick, his set up against sides over two legs could rarely be faulted. However if people thought SC made changes too late in the game, they'd have similar feelings towards Moyes, last year on average he was the last manager to make a change (66th minute).

The issue with him as I have said in other threads, him taking the Scotland job is career suicide. There is going to be at least one EPL side that will reach out for him this year, I can't see him having any interest whatsoever in the job. 

13 minutes ago, Thumper said:

This isn't a work in progress. It's a team which has one way of playing and which usually can't play that way because one or more of the essential personnel are injured or suspended. It's also a team which hasn't won a match against professional opposition in ten games. Farcical to suggest it's on course for anything other than another fucking double-header with Israel or Montenegro or whatever for second place in the next qualification group.

There's always an element of work in progress, problem solving and evolution with a team. Scotland are a work in progress in the sense that we're trying to break new ground: be consistently competitive against pot-1 teams. We haven't found the solutions for that.

We have shown we have a team to qualify for tournaments consistently and compete consistently with pot-2 teams. So that aspect is the finished article. We can avoid slip ups against pot-5 teams and do what is expected in that respect. I don't think you can discount the progress that's been made in getting to this point.

We all know we are finding it hard to make the final step, but are we expecting it to be a breeze? Fans are miles off in my opinion. Expectations have been increased by the success and achievement we've had and then all that gets forgotten about and we enter victim of your own success territory.

Edited by 2426255

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

What's the point in the discussion then? How do you know what's realistic and what isn't?

Think you’re missing the point of P&B…

Someone who isn’t a complete shitebag and first thought is always to go after the opposition in every game. 

Bielsa would be the dream but he’s at Uruguay with some cracking young talent to come through so will probably be there for a couple of campaigns. 

Sampaoli would be a poorer version of Bielsa but at least has the same style. 

Someone who can also overhaul the whole system and bring in a load of staff at every level would be Rangnick. Give him big money, even it means outside investment, a long term deal and tell him he’s in charge of everything. Him being the manager would be an added bonus on top of all of that. 

Joachim Lowe another who is be asking if there would even be a chance he’d consider it. 

We all know though it’s Moyes, McInnes or O’Neill. 

Merry Christmas. 

I think the SFA need to at least be open to the idea of a foreign manager. I know they had their fingers burned with Vogts which has scared them off the Johnny Foreigner, and understandably so to an extent because that was a really painful period, but let’s be honest that was 20 years ago now and both Burley and Levein were just as poor. I think the shortlist should include both Scottish and foreign coaches (and possibly some from other home nations).

The sort of track records I’d be looking for include one or more of:

- Someone with success managing a top half club in the top 5 European leagues.

- Someone who has taken a club from a smaller nation and done well in Europe.

- Someone who’s managed international teams and has a decent tournament record.

The overall profile I’m looking for is someone who has gotten the best out of an existing set of players. I’ve got no interest in the guy who got double promotion from the French 3rd division because a sugar daddy ploughed money into the club. Instead, I’m looking for the traits that I think make a good international manager. Who has shown the ability to punch above their weight with a no frills squad?

I’d also slightly favour an older coach because we don’t want a coach who’s at risk of leaving for a club job. In particular, I have no interest in a 30 year old hipster’s choice coach who is using us as a stepping stone to the #Barclays, or someone that’s using us to rebuild their reputation after a failed stint elsewhere (which is unfortunate as Graham Potter would be great fit). 

Some immediate names that spring to mind.

Herve Renard has won AFCON’s with two different countries, including the unfancied Zambia. He also took Morocco to their first World Cup in 18 years, and took Zambia to their first AFCON QFs in 14 years (before winning the next one). Hes a true winner in international football.

Moyes - Don’t get me wrong this would be continuity Clarkeball, but I do think he would execute that strategy better.

Rafa Benitez maybe but he’s a big spender who hasn’t managed internationally.

Lagerback is too old.

Slaven Bilic would be brilliant but I can’t see him giving up the Saudi moneybags.

Russell Martin will do it one day but too ambitious for now.

The unemployed name that plays attacking football I’ve not seen mentioned might be the best choice of the lot though. Maurizio Sarri.

3 hours ago, Cheese said:

The issue with Moyes is that there's probably a decent chance he ditches us the first time a #Barclays club flashes their knickers at him.

Left field jonny foreigner with tactical expertise and international experience for me pls.

Clarke will stay tho.

Maybe an Argentinian? 🇦🇷 

Why is there a long list of Scottish managers with almost zero success (never mind experience!) at international level?

Realistically Moyes is the only Scottish name on that list worth considering. The rest is a who’s who of absolute dross.

I’d much rather go for an experienced manager who has found success with other small nations, or clubs on a limited budgets.

If it was any other job on earth, that is EXACTLY who an employer would be looking at. Narrowing the list on nationality alone would get you thrown out of a role within the recruitment process. 

I doubt we need to concern ourselves too much with the potential candidates that we think may be in the running.

The job is Clarke’s to vacate, unless it goes horribly wrong during World Cup qualifying.

Even then, you would imagine we would be able to clinch a play-off spot now we are in with the tier 1 nations of the nations league. 

I would be genuinely surprised if the SFA binned him.  Given some of the names mentioned, it might be better to keep him too.