Scotland's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Scotland's next permanent manager?  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Russell Martin is probably going to be free soon. He has a positive style and is more affordable than Moyes. 

I would prefer a foreign coach but it is unlikely that the SFA would be brave enough to go for someone that might upset the applecart. 

There is zero chance that the gimps in charge at the SFA would do anything remotely outside the box whenever the time comes. It will be whatever Scottish manager (or potentially British if they have some sort of Scotland link) is available.

On 29/06/2024 at 01:32, Chripper said:

At the moment we're expecting a manager to turn coal into diamonds.

As a Chemical Engineer who studied Industrial Chemistry, there is an established process to convert graphite into diamond.

Synthetic diamonds have been used in industry since, at least, the 1970s.

Unfortunately, that industrial process involves pressure, something that, recently, Steve Clarke has shown, cannot handle.

This fact manifested in his recent petulant pressers and post match interviews.

None of those names are too inspiring really, Moyes has the most experience and has managed at the highest level of anyone we could realistically afford. Has managed teams where he has got the best out of his resources so think he would be an ideal fit but the fitba on show would be rather dull but as long as he would get results then I wouldn't give a f**k. 

Hiring outwith the Scottish football landscape, there's obviously a bit more risk to that but would be open to any coach that knows what the f**k they are doing to build a winning team at this level. 

1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

None of those names are too inspiring really, Moyes has the most experience and has managed at the highest level of anyone we could realistically afford. Has managed teams where he has got the best out of his resources so think he would be an ideal fit but the fitba on show would be rather dull but as long as he would get results then I wouldn't give a f**k. 

Hiring outwith the Scottish football landscape, there's obviously a bit more risk to that but would be open to any coach that knows what the f**k they are doing to build a winning team at this level. 

Donno mate, Herve Renard would certainly get me interested. That's all by the by tho.

1 hour ago, Dan Electro said:

As a Chemical Engineer who studied Industrial Chemistry, there is an established process to convert graphite into diamond.

Synthetic diamonds have been used in industry since, at least, the 1970s.

Unfortunately, that industrial process involves pressure, something that, recently, Steve Clarke has shown, cannot handle.

This fact manifested in his recent petulant pressers and post match interviews.

Here's your manager right here Dan Electro, he's met the criteria laid out 🤣

I'd happily go with a foreign coach. But given the parochial dustbin that is the football media in this country, combined with some insular cultural aspects, I'm not sure anyone from abroad would fancy sticking it out for too long.

5 minutes ago, ogoftheskye said:

I'd happily go with a foreign coach. But given the parochial dustbin that is the football media in this country, combined with some insular cultural aspects, I'm not sure anyone from abroad would fancy sticking it out for too long.

Donno Its a pretty good salary for such a low pressure job. You can win 1 game out of 13 against Gibraltar and still be supported by the media and some fans. It's a pretty good gig tbh.

Break the bank and get Jurgen Klopp.

He can lead us to the next World Cup then Euros, then he can leave and take the Germany job.

Why not aim big for once.

Next manager definitely needs to have some enthusiasm, and less of the ‘we’re Scotland, we’re shite’ attitude!

17 minutes ago, dstuart82 said:

Break the bank and get Jurgen Klopp.

He can lead us to the next World Cup then Euros, then he can leave and take the Germany job.

Why not aim big for once.

Next manager definitely needs to have some enthusiasm, and less of the ‘we’re Scotland, we’re shite’ attitude!

Jurgen Klopp Lol GIF by Liverpool FC

2 hours ago, Old Bing said:

Donno Its a pretty good salary for such a low pressure job. You can win 1 game out of 13 against Gibraltar and still be supported by the media and some fans. It's a pretty good gig tbh.

You won't get that blind support if you're a foreign coach though. That's the problem 

Do people genuinely forget that Scotland qualified for the previous two European Championships?

There's nothing blind about being loyal to the best manager we've had in two decades.

We haven't won in seven competitive games. Big deal.

Apart from Germany and Spain, the other 5 matches were close.

Be careful what you wish for.

Knowing the SFA they'll appoint Alex McLeish.

6 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Do people genuinely forget that Scotland qualified for the previous two European Championships?

There's nothing blind about being loyal to the best manager we've had in two decades.

Are you completely ignoring the fact that the euros are 24 teams now (i.e., much easier to qualify for), that Clarke has been blessed with by far the best talent pool of Scottish players for several decades, and that both tournaments were an abject failure?

20 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Are you completely ignoring the fact that the euros are 24 teams now (i.e., much easier to qualify for), that Clarke has been blessed with by far the best talent pool of Scottish players for several decades, and that both tournaments were an abject failure?

We're in a group of 24 of the best countries in Europe.

Jesus wept.

Really? We once had a midfield of Darren Fletcher, Scott Brown and Barry Ferguson. With McFadden up front.

That's better than the current midfield.

Don't be disingenuous by suggesting that this is the golden era of Scotland. It's not.

We could easily go another 20 years without qualifying for anything.

I suppose the mob mass hysteria and being in the echo chamber is funner than seeing Scotland up against the biggest and brightest.

Edited by Chripper

17 minutes ago, Chripper said:

We're in a group of 24 of the best countries in Europe.

Jesus wept.

Really? We once had a midfield of Darren Fletcher, Scott Brown and Barry Ferguson. With McFadden up front.

That's better than the current midfield.

Don't be disingenuous by suggesting that this is the golden era of Scotland. It's not.

We could easily go another 20 years without qualifying for anything.

I suppose the mob mass hysteria and being in the echo chamber is funner than seeing Scotland up against the biggest and brightest.

Scott Brown or Barry Ferguson is better than Billy Gilmour? Hahahaha

Folk need to cut the manager some slack.

Most national squads would really miss players such as Tierney. Hickey and Ferguson. .... and add to that long term injuries to Aaron Patterson, Ben Doak etc over the last wee while.

To a nation like Scotland with of our relatively small player pool, these injuries have been particularly damaging.

They also happened to coincide with an extended period of us playing teams ranked well above us.

It's really no surprise then that we have struggled over the past wee while.

I would hope it's a temporary situation. A few key players back and we are vastly improved. At  full strength we are a different team.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Failure to qualify for the Euros in their current format would be dreadful.  It was when Strahan managed it.