Round of 16 thread

JS_FFC

Can't say I'm the sort of person to sit down and watch every minute of the tournament, but general feeling for me is that it's all been a bit meh.  I remember previous tournaments delivering a lot more often.  

I’ve seen all Spain’s games. They’ve been excellent and I hope they win it. For me, Nico Williams is the most exciting player at this tournament, but the likes of Lamal and Rodri (Hampden huff aside) are also class and I hope they lift the trophy.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I might be on my own here but I don’t think it’s just the Euros, club football has gotten duller over the years. I think the coaching and heavy reliance on patterns etc and teams all trying to play similar styles (or within a few styles anyway) means there just isn’t much room for players to do exciting things or teams to vary what they do anymore.

No, you're not on your own.

This might not be a fair reflection, but I sometimes think the continental fans are more willing to accept heavily tactical, possession dominated football than we do in the UK where we're more willing to accept a higher risk more direct approach for the increased threat and excitement that it produces. The Peps of this world would see that as an uneducated neanderthal approach, but I prefer our more exciting "primitive" style to Pep's "Utopia" anyday ... and especially whilst trying desperately to avoid clinical hypothermia on a howling wet January day in Greenock, Methil or Arbroath (locations picked at random btw).

Edited by Otis Blue

4 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

While the free kick situation is correct, were they not extolling the volume and quality of goals from outside the box earlier in the tournament? 

3 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I don’t know what the stats are like now, but there was an abnormally high rate of goals from outside the box after the first couple of rounds.

Was there? I recall the two from distance by the Turks in their first game, and obviously the Germans scored a couple from outside the box against us but they were low into the corner which wasn't the sort of spectacular goal from distance I meant. Shaqiri's against us obviously but there wasn't a defender between him and goal as good a finish as it was. I've probably missed a few from games I didn't see to be fair.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I’ve seen all Spain’s games. They’ve been excellent and I hope they win it. For me, Nico Williams is the most exciting player at this tournament, but the likes of Lamal and Rodri (Hampden huff aside) are also class and I hope they lift the trophy.

Yip same here.  Cucurella has also been good and I’d love to see Yamal score; maybe he’s saving it for the final.  :rolleyes: