Round of 16 thread

JS_FFC

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

I suspect if Unkel says it a penalty. Its a penalty.

That's not to say the rules shouldn't be changed but it looks like the rules were applied correctly. 

As Clive and Ally were saying though, it’s the rules that are a mess. 

Just now, Jambomo said:

I might be on my own but I don’t think it was that bad a ref call, his arm was right angles out and it wasn’t that close. I’ve seen worse.

It’s the rule that’s the issue really, not the officiating. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

f716b9eec295def91a0747cff935c504.gif.10f7586eaee2fc30dd0ae7615cc9e4b5.gif

The Czechs got knocked out of this tournament thanks to the ball rebounding off the keeper and then an arm from 0.2 yards last week. Then they award that as a penalty to the attacking team. 

It's utter horseshit.

The rule with the Czech one isn't the same as for that decision - any touch on the hand from the goalscorer is always a foul, deliberate or not. A terrible rule, but it's black and white with no room for interpretation.

1 minute ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

What the f*ck is Anderson supposed to do there? The ball is hammered at him from about a yard away.

Not have his arms sticking out like that in the first place

I’m no fan of this modern interpretation but it’s been around long enough that defenders should have had enough time to learn 

Just now, craigkillie said:

The rule with the Czech one isn't the same as for that decision - any touch on the hand from the goalscorer is always a foul, deliberate or not. A terrible rule, but it's black and white with no room for interpretation.

Please don’t encourage him.  He knows this fine well. 

Just now, Savage Henry said:

That it hits sombody’s hand or arm is very rarely in doubt.  It seems pointless. 

We’ve had plenty of situations where VAR has poured over slow motion replays, looking for a touch. This clears that up. 

Now, you could argue that if you can’t see a touch (or evidence of it, such as the ball obviously changing direction) then it shouldn’t be a penalty. Which is probably fair enough.

Just now, DrewDon said:

Keysey's blog about this game, and particularly the English officials, has the potential to be one of the great literary works wanks. 

There

Just now, sparky88 said:

I suspect if Unkel says it a penalty. Its a penalty.

That's not to say the rules shouldn't be changed but it looks like the rules were applied correctly. 

This is entirely the wrong attitude though. Chopping and changing the rules every other year because IFAB says so does not make that penalty decision correct in any sporting sense. If the rules are changed next year it doesn't reinstate Denmark into this tournament - or the Czechs to the group stages.

VAR has contributed to the bogus idea that football is really about litigating how rules are applied, rather than actually interpreting rules to punish legitimate fouls and/or cheating. Most decisions are and should be subjective. 

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Honestly, it feels like handballs are a black and white rule altogether in elite level football now.