League Two Season 2024/25 Predictions

4 hours ago, doulikefish said:

It's the diddy cup most use it as pre season so I wouldn't use that as guide 

Peterhead been gubbed so far in the League Cup aye??😉

12 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Peterhead been gubbed so far in the League Cup aye??😉

Same as last season. One point from the four games. We 're useless at  pre season friendlies.It's just to get minutes in the legs so we can do things like pumping you 3-0 at Methil in the first league game.

Edited by Pedro Cabeza

Every season, in every division, there's a team who do well in the League Cup groups, their fans get all excited about the season and fans of other clubs tout them to win things yet when the season starts their team turns out to be utter shite. Every year without fail. East Fife looking good for it this year. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Every season, in every division, there's a team who do well in the League Cup groups, their fans get all excited about the season and fans of other clubs tout them to win things yet when the season starts their team turns out to be utter shite. Every year without fail. East Fife looking good for it this year. 

Forfar won three of their four group games last season. A perfect example.

Still very early, squads being assembled but I think the vibes from clubs are starting to become apparent.

1. Clyde

2. Spartans

3. Peterhead

4. East Fife

5. Elgin

6. Stirling

7. Forfar

8. Stranraer

9. Bonnyrigg

10. Edinburgh City

Still a bit early to predict as squads not complete but my guess is 

1.  Clyde, obviously chucking the cash around like confetti in an attempt to buy the league title. 🙄 

2. East Fife,  looking good so far in League Cup and big Dick knows how to build a team.

3. Peter Heid. The Blu toon were best of the rest last season and will be up there again.

4. Spartans. They were very poor in the playoff final against Dumbarton and lack another striker to partner Henderson.

5. Stranraer. Will be the surprise team this season imo. Got a fright but happily saw off EK in the playoff. 👍 

6. Elgin. Improved form in second half of season and will look to continue that.

7. Bonnyrigg. About the usual position here for Rose, made some decent signings.

8. Forfar Athletic. I don't know much here, except their fans seem pessimistic.

9. Stirling Albion. I'm only keeping them off the bottom as everyone knows Edinburgh are understrength for league football.

10. Obviously Edinburgh City, everyone knows the score. A midtable Lowland league standard squad going to find it difficult to win many games. 😟 

Edited by Tenkay

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tenkay said:

1.  Clyde, obviously chucking the cash around like confetti in an attempt to buy the league title. 🙄 

I can only hope it goes better for us than it did for Edinburgh, for whom it took five years of doing so to scrape their way up via the playoffs, only for the club to promptly shart its pants and almost cease to exist.

Other than Clyde being the clear favourites, I think it's hard to call the closest challenger(s); I expect three of East Fife, Elgin, Peterhead and Spartans to round out the playoffs alongside the aforementioned, but it's hard to really tip any for the title. East Fife had a great Bunnet Bounce last season but tailed off thereafter, and haven't meaningfully strengthened; Gallagher will probably prove to be a big miss for Elgin but they have done some good business and improved enormously under Hale last season, to the extent that they are my dark horses; Peterhead have lost McKee and Ritchie, and the squad doesn't look any stronger than last season's; Spartans have lost Armstrong and at best look like being only as strong as last season, if not a touch weaker.

Stirling have some decent players and with some luck could maybe force their way into a tussle for fourth, but much of the recruitment has centred around off-cuts and gambles on young players, so their season could go either way. Forfar's form in the second half of last season was actually pretty decent, as disgusting a side as they were, and they'll probably be safely in the lower mid-table area again. Stranraer may well improve a bit what with having such a young squad but they've lost some key players and, despite having signed some decent replacements, it's hard to ignore just how bad their form was for the majority of last season and I expect that they'll struggle along again. Bonnyrigg will probably suffer the same fate; there's a bit less shite kicking about now, but I don't think Elliot's brand of football will stick on that pitch and their squad remains a very average one.

That leaves Edinburgh, who will be capable of the odd result here or there by dint of their youthful exuberance, but as the game progressed on Wednesday, the chasm between their squad and Clyde's was laid excruciatingly bare and The Citizens' paucity of talent was really tough to behold. I think it'll take a minor miracle, some serious investment, or perhaps both for them to avoid the bottom spot. Good riddance!

Edited by the_bully_wee

Unashamedly bull(y wee)ish about Clyde this season. That's a strong squad and I'll be disappointed not to win the league. Not expecting a procession, but I think over 36 games Clyde should be good enough.

Spartans were always likely to build on their first season up and I'd expect them to be strong and to mount a challenge, and Dick Campbell will almost certainly have East Fife doing well, so they could be up there too. They've made some interesting signings too.

Edinburgh badly need to add players to the squad they have just now. If not, it's hard to see them avoiding the play-off.

Edited by DoingThe42

I think people placing our chances anywhere between 3rd and 9th shows just how hard it's going to be to predict how Stirling will do.

The league cup games so far suggest we might be further ahead than I'd hoped but the squad is both thin and young and I can't see us being consistently good enough to secure a playoff spot.

A few injuries could see us fighting to avoid the bad playoff.

Clyde's squad looks a cut above anyone else's in terms of quality. I'll be surprised but delighted if they don't win it.

1. Clyde

2. Spartans

3. Peterhead

4. East Fife

5. Stirling Albion

6. Stranraer

7. Elgin

8. Forfar

9. Bonnyrigg Rose

10. Edinburgh City

Here’s my hunch so far, we’re still desperately thin on numbers and I’m still not sure where we’ll be but I’ll go:

1- Clyde

2- Spartans

3- East Fife

4- Peterhead

5- Elgin City

6- Stirling Albion

7- Stranraer

8- Bonnyrigg Rose

9- Forfar Athletic

10- Edinburgh City

i’ll also predict that both Clyde and Edinburgh will be comfortably clear/adrift of the rest.

On 19/07/2024 at 18:32, Tenkay said:

Still a bit early to predict as squads not complete but my guess is 

2. East Fife,  looking good so far in League Cup and big Dick knows how to build a team.

3. Peter Heid. The Blu toon were best of the rest last season and will be up there again.

4. Spartans. They were very poor in the playoff final against Dumbarton and lack another striker to partner Henderson.

5. Stranraer. Will be the surprise team this season imo. Got a fright but happily saw off EK in the playoff. 👍 

6. Elgin. Improved form in second half of season and will look to continue that.

7. Bonnyrigg. About the usual position here for Rose, made some decent signings.

8. Forfar Athletic. I don't know much here, except their fans seem pessimistic.

9. Stirling Albion. I'm only keeping them off the bottom as everyone knows Edinburgh are understrength for league football.

10. Obviously Edinburgh City, everyone knows the score. A midtable Lowland league standard squad going to find it difficult to win many games. 😟 

Where have Clyde found this influx of cash to make them title favourites? Have they found some rich American backers like Wrexham?