"So farewell to the heather and the glen
They cleared us off once and they'd do it all again
For they still prefer sheep to thinking men
Ah, but men who think like sheep are even better
There's nothing much to choose between the old vain and the new
They still don't give a damn for the likes of me and you
Just mind you pay your rent to the factor when it's due
And mind your bloody manners when you pay"

As SNP members we have no excuse, been in government too long, mistakes and scandals happened, family with a small retail business in the central belt,also SNP, we're telling us weeks before of the Labour groundswell so we were not overly surprised.

I'm sure a lot of labour votes were driven by the thought that Labour will revamp the Benefit/Social Security System which given the country's financial situation will not happen.

Now for a rethink and reshape.

Lack of money is one of the biggest reasons for the SNPs poor showing, without it they could hardly run a campaign at all

History will show one of the most pivotal points in Scottish history was the Weirs' picking their lucky numbers in the summer of 2011. From that win they donated millions to the SNP which enabled them to run lavish campaigns which produced stonking election wins and almost won the referendum - at one point the Weirs' donations were the vast majority of SNP and Yes funds. When those donations turned into loans and then dried up altogether because they felt disillusioned with Nicky (pick your own reasons, I'm not derailing this post with mine), the SNP had to find money from other sources, but it wasn't enough - hence the 600k scandal that took down the Murrells and the lack of campaigning since as their election machine ran out of steam - which will get worse with the loss of 30-40 sets of short money from Westminster. 

It's not like Northern Ireland where it's all a bunch of parochial parties, here they have to fight offshoots of larger UK parties who can divert funds and project recognition into the fight. I don't think the SNP will get above 20 mps again, they haven't the brute financial clout any more to campaign to that level.

1 hour ago, orfc said:

Lack of money is one of the biggest reasons for the SNPs poor showing, without it they could hardly run a campaign at all

History will show one of the most pivotal points in Scottish history was the Weirs' picking their lucky numbers in the summer of 2011. From that win they donated millions to the SNP which enabled them to run lavish campaigns which produced stonking election wins and almost won the referendum - at one point the Weirs' donations were the vast majority of SNP and Yes funds. When those donations turned into loans and then dried up altogether because they felt disillusioned with Nicky (pick your own reasons, I'm not derailing this post with mine), the SNP had to find money from other sources, but it wasn't enough - hence the 600k scandal that took down the Murrells and the lack of campaigning since as their election machine ran out of steam - which will get worse with the loss of 30-40 sets of short money from Westminster. 

It's not like Northern Ireland where it's all a bunch of parochial parties, here they have to fight offshoots of larger UK parties who can divert funds and project recognition into the fight. I don't think the SNP will get above 20 mps again, they haven't the brute financial clout any more to campaign to that level.

If thats true and i dont know. Then with the finances as bad as they are allegdly now, then there wouldnt seem much hope for them unless someone else wins the lottery

Edited by ScotiaNostra

5 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

If thats true and i dont know. Then with the finances as bad as they are allegdly now, then there wouldnt seem much hope for them unless someone else wins the lottery

https://www.ft.com/content/908eff25-065a-45b3-87d3-981cbcb3d6ff

Paywalled but the headlines enough

You can see why grabbing a few hundred quids worth of stamps is a believable ruse

On 05/07/2024 at 10:37, orfc said:

I had honestly never considered or thought of this and have no idea if it’s true or not but my seat was relatively close and I got at most two bits of election literature from the SNP during the entire campaign. I had assumed that it might have been down to my MP, Joanna Cherry, being unpopular with party activists but maybe it was the money.

The SNP, even now, must have far more members and activists than any other party on Scotland though, surely? Have they all chucked it?

38 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The SNP, even now, must have far more members and activists than any other party on Scotland though, surely? Have they all chucked it?

Standard minimum price for SNP membership is only £1 per month, far less than Labour (£5.71/month), Tories (£3.25/month) and Libdems (£1.25/month)

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I had honestly never considered or thought of this and have no idea if it’s true or not but my seat was relatively close and I got at most two bits of election literature from the SNP during the entire campaign. I had assumed that it might have been down to my MP, Joanna Cherry, being unpopular with party activists but maybe it was the money.

We're in the same constituency. To be fair, I got hardly any leaflets through the door and wouldn't have guessed an election was going on from what I saw around here. I think the only sign of life I saw from Labour was a leaflet through the door on the actual day of the election. The SNP might not have been spending money, but I didn't seem like anyone else was either.

2 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Standard minimum price for SNP membership is only £1 per month, far less than Labour (£5.71/month), Tories (£3.25/month) and Libdems (£1.25/month)

Labour having a higher minimum membership price than the Tories is certainly something I would never have considered.

What an odd strategy by them.