What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

Loads of Labour supporters saying  Starmer is being sensible and Labour need to see how much dough is in the kitty before scrapping the 2 child benefit cap. Right Keith roll up the sleeves and go after all the companies that dodge tax, all the politicians that feathered their nests during covid, scrap trident, scrap the lords and they'd be more than enough to put food in innocent children's bellies. 

Surely some mistake. We were reliably informed that Starmer's Labour would be far more left leaning and progressive as soon as they got the keys to number 10? He welcomes ideas and debate from every wing of the party etc...

A special shoutout to the biggest coward of the lot.

image.png.cd4893cb818c1ccd6e3d8ba7b11cc099.png

I don't think Starmer is ideologically in favour of keeping the cap. 

That would imply an ideology. 

It's pure optics and keeping the floating voter sweet by "making tough decisions" that don't adversely affect them. 

8 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Surely some mistake. We were reliably informed that Starmer's Labour would be far more left leaning and progressive as soon as they got the keys to number 10? He welcomes ideas and debate from every wing of the party etc...

A special shoutout to the biggest coward of the lot.

I think that award goes to Torsten Bell, newly minted Labour MP, previously the head of The Resolution Foundation who had campaigned vigorously and publicly against the cap for years.

A snake.

10 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Loads of Labour supporters saying  Starmer is being sensible and Labour need to see how much dough is in the kitty before scrapping the 2 child benefit cap. Right Keith roll up the sleeves and go after all the companies that dodge tax, all the politicians that feathered their nests during covid, scrap trident, scrap the lords and they'd be more than enough to put food in innocent children's bellies. 

I’ve greenied your naivety/fantasy thinking.

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I think that award goes to Torsten Bell, newly minted Labour MP, previously the head of The Resolution Foundation who had campaigned vigorously and publicly against the cap for years.

A snake.

‘Torsten’ is an anagram of ‘snotter’ 

image.thumb.png.73cbf129689e40c8c08aa2e4ae9f3a38.png

Guess which way Kate voted? I suppose she doesn't specifically refer to the "two-child" benefit cap above and therefore that is one of the caps she supports. 

Another Labour MP (perhaps one of the Scottish ones) opposed to the cap tweeted that she remain opposed, the "struggle continues" but voted in favour of it to ensure "party unity". 

Could do with @Jedi2 to come back on here to help us simpletons make sense of what seems to be duplicitous behaviour by many Labour MPs, ruled by party first/self-interests. 

1 minute ago, Pocketman said:

Guess which way Kate voted? I suppose she doesn't specifically refer to the "two-child" benefit cap above and therefore that is one of the caps she supports. 

Another Labour MP (perhaps one of the Scottish ones) opposed to the cap tweeted that she remain opposed, the "struggle continues" but voted in favour of it to ensure "party unity". 

Could do with @Jedi2 to come back on here to help us simpletons make sense of what seems to be duplicitous behaviour by many Labour MPs, ruled by party first/self-interests. 

“party unity” = stay in Starmer’s good books and get some government job in the future.

It does not surprise me that only seven Labour MPs vote with the SNP, Starmer and his acolytes have done an effective job of weeding out anyone with left of centre leanings.

1 hour ago, Pocketman said:

She's playing 4d chess on an alternative plain in the multiverse. These new crop of lab lap dogs are smarter than you give them credit for and not just boots in power suits who's necks yoy couldn't redden wi a blowtorch.

6 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I kept dribbling my kestrel super down my chin as my tounge was firmly in cheek.

^^^ reported to RSPB

14 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Didn't realise Helen Lovejoy posted on here tbh. 

I'd rather a government ignored such emotive, single impact group pish and instead focused on the societal level drivers of poverty: such as rent controls and ending no-fault evictions, as a first step towards ending landlordism. I don't expect the Labour government to do that either, but the idea that ending the two child benefit cap is the best approach to tackling poverty is questionable to say the least.

Edited by vikingTON

On 18/07/2024 at 10:47, I Clavdivs said:

Before the GE election Anas Sarwar was talking big about "putting pressure" on Sir Keir,if Labour were elected ,to drop the Tories two child Cap on benefits.Since  the election we've heard heehaw from Anas on thus subject but lots from new Viceroy Murray saying naw...just naw .

Anyone surprised ? .

About as surprised as the Branch Office taking the Scottish electorate for idiots. Again.

Of the 37 Scottish Labour MPs, 36 voted with the government. One – Katrina Murray – did not vote.

I can't see what the big issue with this benefit cap, is it a good thing that people who can't afford to bring more kids into their families have them anyway making the family even poorer even if you include the removal of the cap. This isn't even one of those small benefits that have little cost, it's estimated to be £3.4 billion per year, 3% of the total budget for working age benefits.

If it does get removed will there be an alternative restraint of expanding families ? The government or tax/ benefit system didn't put these children into poverty, their parents did, the responsibility must be on them to provide adequately for their children.