What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

1 minute ago, A Diamond For Me said:

In another, more sensible, world, these people would be getting asked what they thought reasonable to give these lobbyists in exchange for these gifts.  I'm sure Phillipson really did just want her daughter to be able to go to a pop concert (and I can't imagine someone on a mere MP's salary could expect to buy such things for themselves), but whoever gave her those tickets wasn't doing so because they thought it'd be nice.   I can appreciate that Kieth obviously can't afford hospitality tickets for the football himself, but was the person who gave him those tickets really doing so because they just love how big of a Gunners fan Sir Kieth is.  What's the value of those gifts to the person giving them, what can they expect to get for their investment? 

Dougie Alexander was on GMS this morning saying they only did it to even the playing field with the Tories.

He also said they had drawn a line under it and it was time to move on.

Great day at the labour conference 

Protesters hauled out by the neck

Reeves telling everybody that they have ended all the public sector pay disputes whilst at the same time one union saying they have rejected the offer down south

And the freebie stories keep on dropping 

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

What pisses me off is that they keep quoting this £22 Million black hole was only found when they got into government.

That is a total lie, John Swinney in two of the debates said to Labour that there was a Black financial hole they would have to address when they got in.

What he got wrong was the amount as he said it was £18 Million.

It’s billions on millions. 

£22m isn’t worth bothering about in the UK finances

1 hour ago, I Clavdivs said:

Millionaire Sarwar and 158k a year  Viceroy Murray accepting freebie hospitality at Liverpool over weekend.....London Labour are beyond parody even after only a couple of months on office .

I honestly don’t get this - with the optics in the last week, who decided this was a good idea?

1 hour ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Feel free to expand on this gibberish.

He famously made list of a large number of communists, anarchists and anti colonialists and gave it to British intelligence agencies. He had reactionary views about the working classes and Irish people and was also an anti semite. He was also a police officer in colonial India. 

Edited by MazzyStar

8 hours ago, Wee-Bey said:

Incredible stuff and I'd absolutely encourage these idiots to keep digging holes.

Are these people spinning or stupid?

When the owners of an tax-haven hedge fund give you £4 million ahead of an election you're obviously going to win, it's not because they like your politics. 

On 22/09/2024 at 18:21, 101 said:

My kid wanted to go so I took a gift from a lobbying group, what a mental excuse. Why would her kid be there anyway given she is presumably working when there folk are trying to influence her?

The only way her daughter found out about the offer of tickets is because she told her. If she was considering turning down the tickets she wouldn't have said anything. Which means she always intended to take them.

Tories - OG version, not this lot - are winning the next general election for sure. This lot are halfwits who only won because they kept their mouths shut and the Tories had been in power too long.

Labour have just won a massive majority on the back of an undemocratic electoral system that saw them getting that huge majority by winning one third of the votes.  They have effectively eliminated any chance of dissent within their own ranks by selecting the biggest bunch of right-of-centre boot lickers to become MPs.

In other words Starmer is virtually untouchable for the next five years.  Labour can bear the brunt of the lost confidence and unpopularity from the general public that has already begin to materialise.

They will do what they want for the next two to three years without listening to anyone including the Trade Unions who fund them.  They will then try to offer sweeteners in the last couple of years of the Parliament and in all honesty it’s far too early to know if this will work or not.

Starmer won’t be too bothered either way, either a second term or some very nice, well paid sinecures that I’m sure he’s already laying the foundations for.

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Are these people spinning or stupid?

When the owners of an tax-haven hedge fund give you £4 million ahead of an election you're obviously going to win, it's not because they like your politics. 

In Streeting's case?  The latter.  Two literal planks would be a veritable intellectual powerhouse in comparison.