What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

Tempted to vote for Scottish Labour now.

Like what Sarwar says about no indyref this parliament, to recover from Covid.

I'm a Yes voter, but am ashamed that my team can still plan for an independence referendum at this worst of times. They really are irrational about independence and are putting me off. It isn't the solution to everything.

I like the background rumblings of Starmer, Findlay, Brown about looking again at Devo More or Devo Max. Hopefully something will come of that, and we'll see independence a good bit further down the road.

I'm a Yes voter, but am ashamed that my team can still plan for an independence referendum at this worst of times. They really are irrational about independence and are putting me off. It isn't the solution to everything.
I like the background rumblings of Starmer, Findlay, Brown about looking again at Devo More or Devo Max. Hopefully something will come of that, and we'll see independence a good bit further down the road.
This really is hopelessly obvious trolling. A more than generous 1/10.

On my way back from a wee shopping trip ( essential) I heard BBC Scotland at 12.00 announce that Anas Sarwar had won the contest. The  announcer said he was the first Ethnic minority person to become leader of a UK Political Party.  It may just be clumsy language, but has Sir Keir been told he has been replaced?  On the substantive issue of whether he can restore the branch office of UK Labour , he will be better at asking questions than Richard Leonard but it's a hard task in front of him.

13 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Here in Scotland, we seem to have a terrible inferiority complex.

It seems to be that anyone who has done well in life has to be brought down to the lowest common denominator.

Complete opposite in the US where success and wealth is respected.

Surely, we should all be aspiring to send our kids to private school which, in most cases, are infinitely superior to the state system, especially in Scotland.

Regards Sarwar, I was always a bit suspicious as to how his father was able to ditch UK politics and suddenly become a big cheese in Pakistan. Not a labour supporter but I think I’d be a bit put off by divided loyalties. Seems like a professional politician with not much in the way of beliefs.

Yes, my great mistake in life was not to be born to wealthy parents. No-one to blame but myself. All those kids that got better school educations than I did clearly earned that on their own merits. Perhaps if I'd been clever and hard working enough to pay over 20 grand a year for my own schooling I would know what terms like 'inferiority complex' and 'lowest common denominator' mean and be able to use them correctly in sentences.

And if there's one country we should be trying to emulate, it's the USA. That seems to be a perfectly balanced, happy place that's leading the world key metrics like life expectancy in which they are one place above [checks notes] Lebanon, just the 2.4 years less than powerhouse nations with famously healthy lifestyles like Ireland.

10 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Iain Martin is an excellent Scottish journalist and wrote the definitive book about the demise of RBS under the stewardship of Fred Goodwin. Well worth a read.

Also, a bit disappointed about your language here.

No, the definitive book about Goodwin's reign at RBS is Shredded by Ian Fraser.

Iain Martin is a hack who writes for a ridiculous embarrassment to journalism.

Starting to wonder if your account here is satirical. 

13 hours ago, St-ow! said:

Oooft.

You're not allowed different opinions on politics in here mate, keep on walking. Indy or die. 

Yes, my great mistake in life was not to be born to wealthy parents. No-one to blame but myself. All those kids that got better school educations than I did clearly earned that on their own merits. Perhaps if I'd been clever and hard working enough to pay over 20 grand a year for my own schooling I would know what terms like 'inferiority complex' and 'lowest common denominator' mean and be able to use them correctly in sentences.
And if there's one country we should be trying to emulate, it's the USA. That seems to be a perfectly balanced, happy place that's leading the world key metrics like life expectancy in which they are one place above [checks notes] Lebanon, just the 2.4 years less than powerhouse nations with famously healthy lifestyles like Ireland.
I saw a lovely post elsewhere, accompanied by pictures of "extreme" fast food:

"Americans eat like they have free healthcare"

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
2 hours ago, Pato said:
I dunno why everyone thinks that was a troll that's exactly what a Labour voter would say

Trust me - no, it fucking isn't. Not this one anyway.

It's the patter of the typical Scottish labour apparatchik.

In all seriousness, Scottish Labour's submission to the Smith commission was the shortest, and offered the least of any of the parties - and the language used throughout that document was dismissive of further devolution.

How anyone can take Labour seriously on the hoary old cliche of "Devo Max" is beyond me.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 13/02/2021 at 22:41, Granny Danger said:
Starmer coming under pressure from his own colleagues to attack Johnson on Brexit.  I can’t understand why he’s not doing this already.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/13/keir-starmer-facing-pressure-to-end-silence-on-tory-brexit-failures

Because he voted for the deal ffs

And is now after the votes of the Brexiteers in Northern England. Which seems  to involve wrapping himself in a fuzzy union flag coloured backdrop when he's talking bland pish about recovery (don't mention the war) bonds.