What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

They’re all c***s.

That said I’ve dropped them an email offering my services.  ‘Lord Granny of Danger’ has a ring to it.

Tory prices.. sorry, process is a 1 or 2 million donation; plus a stint of 1 year as Tory treasurer then; your in.

Labour basically same; but cheaper. They are thirsty for donors and power. 100k might be enough to get the ermine.

Or you could attempt to get one on the strength of all your good deeds. You're just a bit too late to suck of BJ, for the lifetime peerage award. Must 've been a good one though. Top prize!

It's often touted as some 2nd house of legislative scrutiny, and whilst there might be some examples of that happening, it actually functions more as a private members club where they get to wine & dine at their leisure. All subsidised by the public purse, of course. There is little oversight of their activities. It's openly stuffed with dubious characters. A rank system of privilege.

The Labour Party's failure to reform Westminster is a massive red flag. The unwillingness to implement a PR system, when PR has been present in the UK for decades, just doesn't speak of a party that cares about fixing systemic problems. It's also weirdly backward. We know better ways to run a state than this. More functional, more deliberate and democratic.

In that respect ScotGov outshines UKGov.

5 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Someone get Mick Hucknall’s phone off him ffs. 

This latest outrage is over the release of the film, Oh Jeremy Corbyn: The Big Lie. I haven't watched it but I've read the basic premise to it and have mixed feelings. I sympathise with the broad direction of the film while not being a fan of every contributor or some of the framing. My biggest criticism is the choice of name. The term "The Big Lie" was coined by Hitler and used in Nazi propaganda. USA then used it in their anti-communist propaganda the following decade. It gladly fell into disuse for a long time until recently when the US has again been repurposing it for their politics, with both Biden and Trump using it. No UK left group should be aiding the Americans with this attempted rehabilitation of a Nazi propaganda term.

That said, a group of activists with little to no institutional power releasing a film is not the main story here. What's more worthy of considering is the establishment response. What I mean by the establishment is institutional power. So that's the Labour Party proper, not some long since excommunicated activists. It's the mainstream media, owned and directed by billionaires, not tweets by random individuals. Its highly-funded think tanks and lobbyists with a direct line to the media, therefore getting their concerns and interests promoted by that media. Its not grass roots organisations.

Democracy is a nuisance to this establishment. It is the one check on their power that the plebs have. Well a way to try and crush this nuisance is to undermine the plebs' belief in it. To undermine their belief in democracy. Do this by calling it something else. Call it infiltration. Respond to a mass democratic movement by calling it the doing of sinister "inflitrators", as Hucknall does there. 

Edited by FreedomFarter

The HOL in it’s current form is an abomination.

We need a second chamber, but the current system of those in power shoving as many of their guys in as possible, allowing them to shore up support, with them earning a packet for very little, is horrendous.

Noise is made about it every so often, but it’ll be a long time before voters see it an issue that sways their vote.

It’ll remain how it is for the rest of our lives IMO.

3 hours ago, Zern said:

Tory prices.. sorry, process is a 1 or 2 million donation; plus a stint of 1 year as Tory treasurer then; your in.

Labour basically same; but cheaper. They are thirsty for donors and power. 100k might be enough to get the ermine.

Or you could attempt to get one on the strength of all your good deeds. You're just a bit too late to suck of BJ, for the lifetime peerage award. Must 've been a good one though. Top prize!

It's often touted as some 2nd house of legislative scrutiny, and whilst there might be some examples of that happening, it actually functions more as a private members club where they get to wine & dine at their leisure. All subsidised by the public purse, of course. There is little oversight of their activities. It's openly stuffed with dubious characters. A rank system of privilege.

The Labour Party's failure to reform Westminster is a massive red flag. The unwillingness to implement a PR system, when PR has been present in the UK for decades, just doesn't speak of a party that cares about fixing systemic problems. It's also weirdly backward. We know better ways to run a state than this. More functional, more deliberate and democratic.

In that respect ScotGov outshines UKGov.

I don’t want to contribute any money or make any effort.  Sort of defeats the purpose.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t want to contribute any money or make any effort.  Sort of defeats the purpose.

Then may i suggest becoming Leader of the Scottish Tories, no effort needed.

1 hour ago, Zern said:

Then may i suggest becoming Leader of the Scottish Tories, no effort needed.

No leadership needed either. Must have knowledge of which tray to serve biscuits on at luncheon and the correct forms of address when speaking to superiors, though.

Guardian crossword setter upsetting readers with what is perceived as an infantile taunt.  Think they are being overly sensitive, Grauniad never could get things totally correct.

Clue: Increasingly weird Labour leader going after family. (7)

Spoiler

Solution: Kinkier

5 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Speaking at the same conference Ms Nandy confirmed Labour was committed to continuing the Right To Buy policy, which hands social tenants a large discount to purchase their home from the council.

They really are just Tories in a different strip. 

25 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

They really are just Tories in a different strip. 

Isn’t Nandy supposed to be one of the more ‘left wing’ members of the shadow cabinet?

Just waiting for reintroduction of the Poor Laws and establishment of Workhouses.