What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

Cowardly of the Labour MPs who simply didn't turn up and said nothing.

The Means Test - something Labour should loathe - always means that some people entitled to a benefit won't claim it and won't get it.

I suppose that jobby Ian 'Union Jack Suit' Murray is all over this lovely policy.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Wendy now works for the Scottish Government: as Higher Education Trade & Investment Envoy (appointed by Keith Brown) and a member of the Strategic Board for Enterprise & Skill.

Also on various international quangos and VP of Dundee University.

She was a 'management consultant' or something in London for a while, was she not?

What a deservedly forgotten figure she is.

11 hours ago, strichener said:

Apart from all those manifesto commitments that they haven't implemented.  Let's start with a Scottish Energy Company, scrapping Council tax, remove the burden of student debt, dualling of the A9, cut prison sizes, stop early release, 50p top rate of income tax, a legal right to treatment within 12 weeks etc. etc.  But never mind - baby boxes to all parents.  Woo hoo.

No party implements all their manifesto commitments - for a host of reasons. What few if any parties do is add new commitments because of austerity decisions taken by other parties. Such is the unique set-up of our country. 

I say this as someone who is no big fan of the SNP - currently or previously But to support the SG changing their spending plans because a Westminster party is making decisions that impact on - lets vulnerable members of society - that is quite the take to try and justify.

12 hours ago, I Clavdivs said:

"No Austerity under Labour" was the now empty,pre election Battle cry of London Labour in Scotland .

All 37 London Labour MPs in Scotland dutifully fall into line behind Westminster and vote for the Cuts.

Quelle surprise !.

IMG-20240910-WA0001.jpg

She's certainly got enough pounds stored to see out winter. She doesn't care about anyone else.

Who voted for her?

2 hours ago, Pocketman said:

No party implements all their manifesto commitments - for a host of reasons. What few if any parties do is add new commitments because of austerity decisions taken by other parties. Such is the unique set-up of our country. 

I say this as someone who is no big fan of the SNP - currently or previously But to support the SG changing their spending plans because a Westminster party is making decisions that impact on - lets vulnerable members of society - that is quite the take to try and justify.

So what you are saying backs upy earlier post.  Choices are made and the SNP have decided that it is more important that people in work can have free bus travel and free dental care than for people to heat their homes.

29 minutes ago, Sheas_cake said:

FTFY

Yeah, let's have all the pensioners sell their houses so that they can afford to heat their homes.  Can't see any issues with this at all. 🤔

At the same, Senga in her Evoque is getting free school meals for her sprogs, the child payment, free childcare and the child payment.

Edited by strichener

5 hours ago, strichener said:

So what you are saying backs upy earlier post.  Choices are made and the SNP have decided that it is more important that people in work can have free bus travel and free dental care than for people to heat their homes.

Have they thought about having a few less fancy coffees and avocado on toast?

Saw something on fudbook earlier, can't see it now. A pensioner emailed their Labour MP to ask what Scottish Labour were going to propose to mitigate him loosing his winter fuel allowance. The cvnt sent him a link to a leaflet alerting him to the signs of hypothermia.

I used to listen to James O’Brien most mornings but since Labour got in, his constant fanboying has meant I can’t listen. 3 hours a day of justifying Starmers actions unbearable. 

The LBC political editor said on his show today, people will get fed up of Labour blaming the Tory’s for every decision they make soon and he’ll be under pressure. 
He made a comparison of the note left in the treasury after Brown lost the election of no money left and Sunak bringing it up after the last election. 
The political editor had to explain that Labour are making decisions (like keeping the two child cap, winter fuel) rather than other ones(higher taxes on windfalls etc) and the public will get tired of the excuses soon. He seems to have become blind to bad government pretty quickly. 

8 hours ago, strichener said:

yes, backs up what you said if you completely ignore the points made since then. 

48 minutes ago, Pocketman said:

yes, backs up what you said if you completely ignore the points made since then. 

Whilst you continue to ignore that the SNP continue to make choices on what to finance.  I haven't heard yet but are they going to ignore parliament's will regarding free school meals for P6/7 or will they further reduce the funding for rewilding to pay for it?  Choices to be made.

Edited by strichener

"Looks like we're not going to qualify for that extra £200 per year bonus the government normally gives us"

"Aw, FFS. Right, I'll stick the house on the market to cover for that £16.67 we'll be down on next month's utility bill"

27 minutes ago, Sheas_cake said:

What Child Payments is Senga getting?

Child Benefit isn't even paid by the Scottish Government. C'mon man, this is basics 😂

Oops, looks like you don't even know the choices the Scottish Government have made.  Nor the difference between Child Benefit and the Scottish Child Payment. 

Always easier to speak from a position of ignorance.

50 minutes ago, BFTD said:

"Looks like we're not going to qualify for that extra £200 per year bonus the government normally gives us"

"Aw, FFS. Right, I'll stick the house on the market to cover for that £16.67 we'll be down on next month's utility bill"

If your using the plural then it is probably between 400 and 600 per annum and last year double that due to the cost living payments.  Your £16.67 could actually be £ 100 difference over last year.  A not insignificant sum, I'm sure you will agree.

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

If your using the plural then it is probably between 400 and 600 per annum and last year double that due to the cost living payments.  Your £16.67 could actually be £ 100 difference over last year.  A not insignificant sum, I'm sure you will agree.

They'd also have double the existing income. No idea why last year's temporary bonus would be applied to this year.

So, £33.34 to £50 per month down for a couple with two pensions and whatever additional income they have.

What's your problem with Senga BTW?

29 minutes ago, strichener said:

The Winter Fuel Payment is either £200 or £300 per household. The amount doesn't double if two household members meet the eligibility criteria.

1 minute ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

The Winter Fuel Payment is either £200 or £300 per household. The amount doesn't double if two household members meet the eligibility criteria.

I was wondering about that. Why would people require twice as much heating money for the same property?

Been trying to get my mum sorted out for Pension Credit lately, but she lives alone.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

I was wondering about that. Why would people require twice as much heating money for the same property?

Been trying to get my mum sorted out for Pension Credit lately, but she lives alone.

They should change this, so the miserly auld f**kers cram themselves in 20 to a three bar fire in Doris's front room, instead of cramming themselves in, 20 to a local library public seating area for the sake of a free heat and denying anyone else 2 minutes aff their feet🤬

The auld Wellgate public library was like God's waiting room for years. 

Edited by Boo Khaki

Labour say they won’t put more money into the NHS until there are ‘reforms’.

The NHS is a state funded public service, what sort of ‘reforms’ do you carry out to improve that service without increased public funding?

I’ve got ideas the direction this could be headed in but I hope I’m wrong.