Dullest Tournament

Ludo*1

7 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Teams need to get back to playing wingers, two up front (a big lump and a wee quick guy preferably) and crosses into the box and players regularly trying 30+ yard thunder b*****ds. 

The woke mob have taken this from us 

Bobby Williamson got loose again. 

I have only seen brief VPN streams, yet the electricity & 4G keeps dropping here. Sounds like I've not missed much. Do see some highlights tho.

Am certainly happy to have avoided most of the Scotland games, though sadly did see the Germany thrashing. The only Scotland match I saw.

In England & Scotland we play FAR TOO MANY GAMES. The players when they arrive at such a tournament are already knackered. 

Only those with good entire squads and some players rested (maybe due to league injury that they recovered from just in time for Euros)

Copa América has been far more entertaining, though admittedly spoiled by some poor VAR decisions.

Are the leagues in England, Scotland, Spain, Italy, Germany etc. going to reduce match numbers so the players will be fresh & ready come tournaments like this? Somehow doubt it 😞

1 hour ago, Sonam said:

Are the leagues in England, Scotland, Spain, Italy, Germany etc. going to reduce match numbers so the players will be fresh & ready come tournaments like this? Somehow doubt it 😞

If they do clubs will just arrange more friendlies in Saudi 

I think the fact the last euros was only 3 years ago and the last world cup was only 18 months ago rather than 4 years and 2 years means some of the players are absolutely knackered with a lot of football crammed into a shorter period.  

On 06/07/2024 at 00:22, Groundhopping Adventures said:

World Cups and Euros and fueled by nostalgia. Italia 90 almost has hagiographical recollections in England when it reality it was negative and dreadfully dull. 

1990 still wins worst tournament for me, aside from the bantz opening game and us beating Sweden it was mostly horrific (England's quarter and semi finals were exciting TBF).

9 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

1990 still wins worst tournament for me, aside from the bantz opening game and us beating Sweden it was mostly horrific (England's quarter and semi finals were exciting TBF).

My personal highlight was the John Barnes rap, which still gets dusted-off today.  I would like to see more effort on this front, for future tournaments.

It's all the woke, bald fraud Guardiola's fault.

At the elie level, tactics now are either a variation of tiki taka or combating it. Robot players, machine football.

On 06/07/2024 at 00:22, Groundhopping Adventures said:

World Cups and Euros and fueled by nostalgia. Italia 90 almost has hagiographical recollections in England when it reality it was negative and dreadfully dull. Euro 2021 was a shit show that England love because of the final. People talk fondly of 1970, yes Brazil were excellent, but mostly because it was the first World Cup in Colour. I know several people younger than me who think the 2010 World Cup was wonderful. It was rotten. 

Euro 2004 will always have a special place in my heart as it was the first tournament I could watch properly (wee bit young for 98 and 2000 and the 2002 World Cup was on during the night), was it that great, not really. Memorable moments aye but not especially wonderful. 

Nostalgia definitely plays a part in these chats.

FWIW I loved 2002 - all games kicked off at 6am, 8am, 10am and 12.30pm UK time so was ideal for me having just finished 1st year at uni and bugger all else to do.

On 06/07/2024 at 00:34, BFTD said:

I remember the South African World Cup being OK, but probably because I'd already seen far worse by then.

Not great; not terrible either.

2010 really was terrible. I blame the vuvuzelas.

Italia 90 was a poor world cup.

The highlights were Pavarotti, Cameroon beating Argentina with Roger Milla and Chris Waddle taking a penalty that hit Saturn.

2010 was also dugshite.

These Euros have been boring though.

No one mentioned France 98 yet which shows you’re not footballing folk like I are.

Possibly the best World Cup in history. Followed two years later by the best Euros. 

South Africa was ok if you kept the telly on mute.

It’s already been said, but the ridiculously long domestic season plus Champions League/Europa competitions has led to overtired players. Simple as. Even the Guardiolaball would have been more dynamic if the players had legs left

Unpopular opinions thread for this, but I actually liked the vuvuzelas in 2010.

At the football that is - not so much the drunk twats with them on the streets here after the pubs closed.

Just now, Zetterlund said:

Unpopular opinions thread for this, but I actually liked the vuvuzelas in 2010.

At the football that is - not so much the drunk twats with them on the streets here after the pubs closed.

You’ve smoked all the drugs. There are no drugs left. 

3 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

You’ve smoked all the drugs. There are no drugs left. 

No doubt it was insufferable in the stadiums but I liked the atmosphere it created for TV anyway.

image.png

19 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

No doubt it was insufferable in the stadiums but I liked the atmosphere it created for TV anyway.

image.png

I'm kinda with you on this. One of the things I like about World Cups is how the atmosphere in the stadiums can seem different in different parts of the world. South Africa definitely seemed different, and I found it pretty easy to block out the low-level buzzing. Might have been different if it was higher-pitched.

1 minute ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

When he was Hibs manager he said something like if you want to be entertained then go to the pictures.

I think Alan Durban ex-Stoke manager gave us “if you want entertainment, go and see the clowns”.

It’s a difficult one. As a neutral you generally just want entertainment. If you support one of the teams, most people will put winning first, with winning in style second.

It’s maybe because the sides filled with elite footballers at the biggest clubs have gone down the shitefest route, that the tournament has left some with a bad impression - but take France, England and Belgium out and it has been one of the better tournaments in recent memory.  

12 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Bobby Williamson got loose again. 

f**k no. He would be loving this tournament. If you want entertainment go to the cinema.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd class this tournament as OKish.

Thanks for listening.

I've enjoyed it so far. Despite some decidedly poor games

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

1990 was a fairly memorable World Cup but at the time I didn’t think it was that good. I was basing that opinion on how good Mexico ‘86 World Cup was in comparison.

Looking back on the 1990 World Cup with the various nostalgic documentaries - the one on the Cameroon team was especially memorable, and the England team one was decent too - I appreciate it a bit more now.