Spain 🇪🇸 v 🇫🇷 France

Scary Bear

If England face Spain on Sunday, who gets the most grief when they return to their club for the new season - Rodri for jumping around celebrating like a big fanny, or Bellingham for jumping around celebrating like a big fanny.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I thought the thing with Morata looked like a security guard trying to catch a pitch invader

I though that too initially

Tbf I don’t think it really matters who’s up front for Spain. Morata did hee haw today and is at best a decent not world class striker. They should have enough back up regardless of who’s up front.

The utter myth of Deschamps' success:

Euro 2016 (at home)

Beat Romania with an 89th minute goal. Beat Albania with goals in 90th and 96th minutes. Draw 0-0 with Switzerland.

Beat much weaker opposition in Ireland and Iceland in knock-outs, good win against Germany, then lose impotently on their home pitch against a Ronaldo-less Portugal.

World Cup 2018

Beat Australia with a late goal, beat Peru 1-0, draw with Denmark.

Argentina pushed France into playing a different game and actually having a go, they show their quality when they don't play Deschamps' tactics, win 4-3. Then beat Uruguay, Belgium and Croatia; good sides, but not greats and all limited in some ways. Par performances for that team.

Euro 2020

Beat Germany with an OG, drew with Hungary and Portugal.

Had a 3-1 lead against Switzerland, played conservatively, Switzerland came at them and scored twice, knocked out on penalties in the R16.

World Cup 2022

Beat Australia well, beat Denmark with a late goal, lose to Tunisia.

Did well enough beating inferior Poland, England and Morocco sides. Played shitty conservative Deschamp-ball in the final and go 2-0 down; forced to attack, they show their class and get back to 2-2. Repeat in ET, lose on penalties. They had a much better team than Argentina.

Euro 2024

Beat Austria with an OG, 0-0 with Netherlands, 1-1 against a dreadful Poland thanks to a penalty.

Beat Belgium with a last OG, beat Portugal on penalties after a 0-0, lose 2-1 to Spain. One goal from open play in 6 matches.

I'd say France have had the best starting 11 and bench in the world through that period and what do they have to show for it? One trophy and two blown finals. It's an absolute myth that Deschamps has been successful.

5 minutes ago, Utdtillidie2 said:

Tbf I don’t think it really matters who’s up front for Spain. Morata did hee haw today and is at best a decent not world class striker. They should have enough back up regardless of who’s up front.

One thing Morata does is to drop off and shore up the midfield.  It’s a part of his game that’s maybe overlooked but it provides options for Rodri, Ruiz and Almo.

Posted (edited)

@GordonSyou’re selling them a little bit short for the World Cup triumph in 2018, you glossed over the Belgium win like it was nothing when they were the number one ranked team at the time were they not?

Edited by throbber