England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Netherlands 🇳🇱

throbber

8 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yes, but Rangers were inevitably always going to win something eventually. It's entirely possible for international teams who consistently produce great players to somehow consistently fail to win tournaments.

Is it though? Netherlands won in 1988, Portugal, Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Argentina and Brazil have all won since then.

Who does that leave from major nations? Croatia and Belgium have had a couple of goldenish generations but they aren't in the same league.

I think England will win a few in my lifetime. The current crop is young enough that they could actually win a few in the next 10-15 years.

I'm resigned to it tbh 

That said, hopefully Spain batter them on Sunday 

Edited by MarkoRaj

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

Diddy tournament anyway. There are not even any South American teams in it.

And Scotland still managed to get beat by an Argie!

I think Spain need to give them a hiding for their own good really to manage where they actually are.  They've got to 2 euro finals where the knockout draw has been kind to them. 

Euro 2020 they played a weak Germany, Ukraine and Denmark AET in pretty much a home tournament. 

This year they've got past Slovakia AET, Switzerland on penalties and have been lucky tonight against an average Dutch side with some ridiculous refereeing. 

It’s weird that Switzerland and now Netherlands have changed their game plan against England to try and stifle the opposition instead of playing the way they have in the rest of the tournament. I’ve no doubt Spain will play to their strengths instead of worrying about England.

10 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

They'll win something. They're as well just getting it over with on Sunday

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Exactly my thoughts. Just win one and we can all move on.

Winning it on Sunday doesn’t stop them from winning more in future. I’d rather they won as little as possible.

17 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Does anyone in the English media ever talk about to run of teams Southgate has faced in knock-outs?

For all the Cruyff/Total Football Mythology, Netherlands are also a team who have won f**k-all, basically. This result tonight + against a shite Germany team in decline are probably Southgate's only standout major tournament big results.

It's just got an air of inevitably about an England win on Sunday. Spawned their way through the tournament being absolutely shite and facing shite teams. They played better tonight but were helped but a very generous penalty. Can only hope Spain win but my money is on England 🤢 if I lose my cash then happy days as that means Spain have done us proud 

Slovakia 1st effort on goal in the 96 min..drag it to ET

Switzerland 1st effort on goal in the 82nd min to drag it to pens then win by one pen

Holland 1 effort on goal 2nd half in the 91st min..after getting a pen when Kane kicks his own feet

It very rarely happens in the game but when your name is on a trophy nothing the others can do..they have won it-likely on pens after a 0-0 on Sunday. 

Just now, Utdtillidie2 said:

What do you do about a problem like Gareth?

Lose and he’s out. Win and do you sack the most successful manager you’ve ever had?

He'll walk they won't have to sack him either way

Just now, Utdtillidie2 said:

What do you do about a problem like Gareth?

Lose and he’s out. Win and do you sack the most successful manager you’ve ever had?

Not if he’s persuaded to leave. I get vibes he might chuck it after this, and going out on a high might only make that worse. 

Just now, Jambomo said:

Not if he’s persuaded to leave. I get vibes he might chuck it after this, and going out on a high might only make that worse. 

I they win I can’t believe he won’t stay on for the WC especially with this squad they have.