England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Netherlands 🇳🇱

throbber

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Of course there's an element of that.  I wouldn't suggest otherwise.

The side that goes first wins something like 57% of the time I think.  That's a significant advantage.

Yeh definitely.

Wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you btw, just think it's interesting from both angles.

They used to say penalties is a lottery, now it's something that you can work on.

There's an element of fortune as well as good preparation and skill - when both teams are at the top level it has to come down to intangibles like kicker order etc

13 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Wonder if they’ll be this arrogant later tonight if the Dutch beat them. 

Like any fan it's "game on" now for Merson, but this England team is playing at a level where they could easily lose this as win.  Where he and James see England beats me. 

18 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Not that the team will need motivation for a semi final, but the English press just gives more and more of it. 

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Dimwit England fans in the comments thinking that Sky have given away state secrets via a crudely photoshopped water bottle.

Some folk aspire to be footballers, managers, directors of football or coaches; my dream is to be the guy who tells goalkeepers what to do when facing a penalty.

59 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

They used to say penalties is a lottery, now it's something that you can work on.

There's an element of fortune as well as good preparation and skill - when both teams are at the top level it has to come down to intangibles like kicker order etc

Yes the 'lottery' thing got endlessly trotted out by people who should have known better.  Terry Venables clung to it whenever he was asked about Euro 96, and the ad hoc approach his side took. 

You still hear remnants now when pundits talk about how you can't recreate the pressure of a shoot-out in training.  Obviously, that's true, but by that logic, no professional golfer would ever  practise four foot putts.  The reality is that they do.  Endlessly.

It helps ensure they rarely miss them, even when under intense pressure.

I'm not keen on penalty shoot-outs really, but they do involve clear football skills, and although luck plays a part - just as it does in the regular game - the 'lottery' notion is lazy and ridiculous.

38 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes the 'lottery' thing got endlessly trotted out by people who should have known better.  Terry Venables clung to it whenever he was asked about Euro 96, and the ad hoc approach his side took. 

You still hear remnants now when pundits talk about how you can't recreate the pressure of a shoot-out in training.  Obviously, that's true, but by that logic, no professional golfer would ever  practise four foot putts.  The reality is that they do.  Endlessly.

I'm not keen on penalty shoot-outs really, but they do involve clear football skills, and although luck plays a part - just as it does in the regular game - the 'lottery' notion is lazy and ridiculous.

If you haven't prepared for a penalty shoot out by practising taking them or drawn up a list of potential kickers or put said kickers in order of taking them it probably could be described as a lottery.

49 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Johan Cruyff used to say the same thing. It's true to a certain extent. How many players score 99% of penalties then miss the biggest one of all? Talking your Baggios, your Lampards, your Jorginhos. 

Nowadays they have literal neuroscientists working on recreating the brain patterns that are present during times of high stress and how players can minimise it.

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Remind us Paul, how did England get on against Iceland again?

9 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

. How many players score 99% of penalties then miss the biggest one of all? 

I can't imagine that many regular penalty takers have a 99% success rate over a long period at all.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

In fairness, Le Normand and Carvajal will be back... I doubt Mbappe gets half and hour to land one on a French head from that side with Carvajal. Mbappe is good but hes not Kieran Tierney

I forgot Carvajal was suspended last night. I wondered if he was injured. That will help the Spanish defence significantly. 

Hopefully the Dutch do the business tonight and it's a moot point. 

2 hours ago, Glen Scotia said:

I'd love to see Spain rip them a new one but let's not give these arrogant, loud tossers a day out in the final

Mon the Dutch

I’d also like to be able to watch the final without “Ferdy” and “Meeks” being a pair of over excitable man-children. Get them out now please.

47 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Ironically…

First Dutch guy throwing a stool is needing a few visits to the gym, he throws the stool about 2 feet.