Cumbernauld Town Centre

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

How shite does this look? 

An image of a town with buildings and people cycling

TBF you slap Cumbernauld onto any image of a town/city including the most beautiful and folk will be thinking it looks a bit shite

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Astounding, even in a fluff piece it just looks utterly bleak from every angle, now I know there's the benefit of hindsight but how the f**k nobody stopped to question this at the time is astounding.

28 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Astounding, even in a fluff piece it just looks utterly bleak from every angle, now I know there's the benefit of hindsight but how the f**k nobody stopped to question this at the time is astounding.

Remember at this time there was a distinct possibility of a motorway going through the (Edinburgh) New Town.

https://www.iaia.org/news-details.php?ID=16

52 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

TBF you slap Cumbernauld onto any image of a town/city including the most beautiful and folk will be thinking it looks a bit shite

To be fair, the scampi in a basket in the rooftop Berni Inn looked decent.

27 minutes ago, Caro-Kann said:

Remember at this time there was a distinct possibility of a motorway going through the (Edinburgh) New Town.

I remember seeing those plans before, didn't realise how slim the council vote was. It probably wasn't seen as that much more controversial as bringing the m8 into central Glasgow.

There was clearly an overwhelming obsession about cars that few stopped to think about the other consequences.

47 minutes ago, Caro-Kann said:

16 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I remember seeing those plans before, didn't realise how slim the council vote was. It probably wasn't seen as that much more controversial as bringing the m8 into central Glasgow.

There was clearly an overwhelming obsession about cars that few stopped to think about the other consequences.

This type of Corbusian 'Car Is King' philosophy saw it's apotheosis in New York under the aegis of Robert Moses. Compare the above film on Cumbernauld with Robert Hughes' scathing put down of Brasilia from his 'Shock of the New' series.

I loathe the original building with a passion. But you'd've thought they couldn't make it worse: so they built the Antonine Centre to prove you wrong.

And this new horror: at least the vape shops and empty units will be new I suppose.

I like the bit in the videos where they say that Cumbernauld has a history stretching back to Roman times, when it was a long mound of turf guarded by scantily clad soldiers.

So what they're basically saying is that Cumbernauld has a ca. 2000 year history of inhabitants saying "this is absolutely f***ing sh*t".