El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

9 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Handy map of countries to have battered Scotland since 2020:

image.png.12927eb6001bfe9ab9b563b3df328ca7.png

edit - Interestingly, the trail of batterings actually spans the entire continent.

What was the score in the Scotland v Scotland match? 

31 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We're much closer in standard to Annan that Scotland is to England.

Queen and England have won 8 out of the last 12 matches in both cases so "much closer" is stretching things but that's not the point. The point is that In your case there only are only 12

You've hardly played against each other and up until relatively recently you weren't even in the same league, never mind the same division.

There simply hasn't been time for a culture of rivalry to develop in Edinburgh people too young to remember these things directly know about "5-1", "7-1", "22 in a row", "6-2", "10-2", administration and an unconscious Pat Stanton pissing himself in his own taxi. 

And you personally always seem far more concerned with telling everybody how you much you dislike Rangers than saying anything about Annan

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Handy map of countries to have battered Scotland since 2020:

image.png.12927eb6001bfe9ab9b563b3df328ca7.png

edit - Interestingly, the trail of batterings actually spans the entire continent.

Not quite your still  missing the caucuses so I'm afraid that's not Blockbusters

Bob Holness

the "teams Scotland have beaten" map actually includes the caucuses but rather embarrassingly we haven't beaten France or Germany and haven't even played against Italy so there's an even bigger gap in the middle between Liechtenstein and Andorra

image.png.3cd8bd239c69997a8ca889cc9cb2c3b3.png

Our forthcoming nations league fixtures against Poland might help towards building a north south chain on either map
Croatia is already on the first one but could conceivably be a step towards connecting Austria to Georgia on the second. The Portugal games make no difference at all

As with diplomacy everything is made more complex by the Balkans

Ultimately this is a really difficult game even for the big sides until Russia is back in play

If any readers are too young to remember Bob Holness then don't worry this post isn't for you

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

42 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

And you personally always seem far more concerned with telling everybody how you much you dislike Rangers than saying anything about Annan.

Of course I do.

What sort of a person dislikes a local side more than the OF?

People suggesting we should just accept they're going to win and get on with it. Not on your or anyone else's Nelly, whoever she is. The joy of seeing Linekar, Wright, Ally McCoist, Rio Ferdinand, that bloke that wears the funny glasses, Ben Shephard, the bloke that does Lingo(except when famous people are on), Harry Kane, Hey Jude, Jordan Pickford, faces at fulltime or in the coming days after Spain have humped them will fuel my happiness until the day I shuffle off this earth and the other alternative I just cannot contemplate. It's not anti english bias on my part. I happily cheer on their Golfers. Tennis players, Athletes etc against any other nation than Scotland but I will never ever wish their football team to win a football match(unless as unlikely as it may seem they play Russia anytime in the future.)

5 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

People suggesting we should just accept they're going to win and get on with it. Not on your or anyone else's Nelly, whoever she is. The joy of seeing Linekar, Wright, Ally McCoist, Rio Ferdinand, that bloke that wears the funny glasses, Ben Shephard, the bloke that does Lingo(except when famous people are on), Harry Kane, Hey Jude, Jordan Pickford, faces at fulltime or in the coming days after Spain have humped them will fuel my happiness until the day I shuffle off this earth and the other alternative I just cannot contemplate. It's not anti english bias on my part. I happily cheer on their Golfers. Tennis players, Athletes etc against any other nation than Scotland but I will never ever wish their football team to win a football match(unless as unlikely as it may seem they play Russia anytime in the future.)

Pathetic.  Imagine wanting them to beat Russia

On 11/07/2024 at 13:56, Monkey Tennis said:

I do think this plays into it.  

It bugs me with the "Come on England" stuff tacked onto the end of unrelated programmes.  They do genuinely forget that they're broadcasting to the entire UK.  It's this thoughtless reading of the UK and England as synonymous which I'd imagine every non-English resident in the UK is familiar with.  

Again though, I can't help feeling I'm flailing around for things to be offended by, and to blame for why I'm so bitter and twisted.

They don’t forget - they just don’t care.

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

England haven't defeated us in our last two competitive matches. 

England didn't play against us in our last two competitive matches, tbf.

Despite decades of ABE, I’ve resigned myself to the fact that England are going to win a major tournament sooner or later. I’m still ABE obviously but as soon as Bellingham put in that overhead kick, I got the feeling that this will be the one. Too bad that despite the talent they’ve had over the years, the win will finally come in such am uninspiring fashion.

I’m anticipating a dull game. If England score first, it will end 1-0 to England. If Spain score first, 2-1 to England. The only hope is that Spain go 2 or preferably 3 up.

57 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Of course I do.

What sort of a person dislikes a local side more than the OF?

You're confusing animosity with rivalry

52 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Pathetic.  Imagine wanting them to beat Russia

Have I ever told you people about my deep love of Tolstoy, Perogi, Shostakovich, Pussy Riot, Tati and the talents of Anna Kournikova etc...

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

24 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You've been quite boring enough without taking this line of "argument" any further.

And yet you took it there.

Oh, and an insult too.  Good, good.

Anywaaay....

Spain are clearly a better team than England but it's the "anything can happen in a one-off match" angle which worries me. A spawney early goal or an egregious Kane or Bellingham dive to get a Spaniard red carded could set them on their way to the least deserved Euro championship win since the event was established.

Looking back at past joyous nights of English anguish, the Italy pens were probably the best (after England's coked-up gammon fans rioted and charged the gates of their own stadium, an event which IMO should have got them banned from playing at home and possibly even entering the next Euros) - but I also thoroughly enjoyed Croatia's SF win in 2018.

Up Perisic!  Fire the Mandzukular weapon!

Edited by VictorOnopko

7 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

Met a number of sound English boys when we were over in Germany from places like Sheffield, Blackburn and Liverpool. The one night we had guys in a pub doing the 'Scotland get battered' song to try and spark a reaction it was a group from Kent.

Definitely think the w**k/good guy border sits somewhere around Birmingham.

Ooft.  Embarrassing behavior from the South East bantz merchants.  Glad your interaction with the other lads went someway to cancelling our their antics and I hope you had a great time over there.