El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

Just now, accies1874 said:

I don't have a problem with the likes of Dixon being unprofessional while his country are playing in a final, the issue is that it's being broadcast to the whole UK. 

That was way over the line for me.   By all means want them to win,  but sulking like a 5 year old on commentary is pathetic

6 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Hahaha pretty much.

I called it in this thread during the game. He was always going to be criticised for not going for it, despite the fact he'd likely have taken a beating if he had tried to match them.

We've all seen it here before with our teams losing to the bigot brothers.

And then you get the tactics nerds showing off their intellect...

No no, you're all wrong it's more complicated than a simple choice between two options what Southgate really should have done is struck a balance between the two and take a poke in the eye, and an atomic wedgie...  Click like and subscribe for more top quality analysis throughout the upcoming prem season and don't forget to ring the bell

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

14 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Nah, a Scottish victory is far more pleasureable than an English defeat. Beating Spain, the time Marshall saved that penalty - those are brilliant. Watching, and hoping England lose is a sideshow. An entertaining, gives you something to talk about sideshow. It’s about one or two dislikeable individuals in their team. It’s about the OTT punditry we are subjected to, but it’s a sideshow. A Sideshow Bob…. What a run and cross he put in. 😎

This.  All the knicker-wetters who would totally support Scotland if we were in the same position imagine there's 6 million people absolutely seething at the whole situation and wishing death upon anything English.  I don't doubt there are some like that out there, but the vast majority likely see it for what it is - fucking funny.  That's the limit of it for me.  I'd rather England didn't win, and it's hilarious they didn't.  Would I have taken us getting to a quarter final and going out with pride if it meant England won the whole thing?  Probably, to be honest.  

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Don't know about him, but I definitely did.

It actually makes this outcome even more glorious, in that I wasn't anticipating it.

Whenever they equalised I thought they were going to win, but Spain were clever about scoring first by waiting until the second half, so not giving England as long to get back in it.

But I was worried for a wee while.

20 minutes ago, PWL said:

100+ people still on this thread on a Monday morning. Delicious. 

English colleague just asked me if I got more pleasure from an English defeat or a Scottish victory.

I genuinely don't know. 

I think a Scotland victory over a top nation wins that debate for me. I was in Paris for THAT match/goal and was buzzing for weeks afterwards. I think the ultimate would be us beating them in a meaningful game, the country nearly went into meltdown when we drew with them in 2021.

Living down here, I do love trolling the local oiks. When they get beat, the meltdown is exceptional. They can't handle the truth that they really aren't any good. I REALLY enjoy that.

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

The main takeaway from this game is how much more developed tactically and mentally other countries are in comparison the UK. And I mean that in terms of individual players, not managers and coaches (although that's also evidently true). Zubimendi and Fabian running rings around the most expensive midfield of all time. Was an absolute piece of piss for them. England is up there with any country in the world on a technical ability perspective, but they don't have the minerals or game knowledge that yer Spains, yer Italy's of this world do.

I realise the Scottish Premiership is a million miles away from last night but what I've noticed is players off the ball, either attacking or defending are basically doing what they feel like, whereas if you watch a team like Spain everyone runs into a position to receive/defend the ball in either an attacking or defensive position.  There is a team work and fluidity to it all that enables teams to get players into the box and defend without losing their shape.

One of the reasons Scottish football is so poor is no one is available for the ball half the time.  We play like the ball is infected with the plague and the worst thing that can happen on the field is actually receiving the ball.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

13 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Whenever they equalised I thought they were going to win, but Spain were clever about scoring first by waiting until the second half, so not giving England as long to get back in it.

But I was worried for a wee while.

I didn’t get that vibe from the England players after the goal - I think their celebrations were a bit flat for a late ish equaliser.

49 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Do they, though?

I get that a lot of England fans blame Nigel Cardigan for the defensive tactics - but it maybe possible given that England were shit for 95% of their game time, that they have over-rated their own talents and under-rated those of, say, individual Spanish (or German, or French) players?

image.png.a2c66038669374a4736f65639e6b221c.png

It's called the EPL PR bubble and media brainwashing.

It was quite funny after they equalised shearer was getting very excited that the momentum had shifted and all that. I think that was pure hope tbh, as although they got a lift for a couple of minutes the Spanish never really looked rattled by it at all. 

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It was quite funny after they equalised shearer was getting very excited that the momentum had shifted and all that. I think that was pure hope tbh, as although they got a lift for a couple of minutes the Spanish never really looked rattled by it at all. 

Disagree. Spain did look rattled. England had the momentum. However, for some reason, they then sat back which handed it back to Spain who made the most of it

45 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I don't have a problem with the likes of Dixon being unprofessional while his country are playing in a final, the issue is that it's being broadcast to the whole UK. 

To be fair, that’s an STV problem. They’re a separate broadcaster, but chose to take the ITV coverage across the tournament.