El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

58 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I do think this plays into it.  

It bugs me with the "Come on England" stuff tacked onto the end of unrelated programmes.  They do genuinely forget that they're broadcasting to the entire UK.  It's this thoughtless reading of the UK and England as synonymous which I'd imagine every non-English resident in the UK is familiar with.  

Again though, I can't help feeling I'm flailing around for things to be offended by, and to blame for why I'm so bitter and twisted.

I’m with you on this as I have been trying to work out exactly what it is that makes the idea of England winning a trophy so abhorrent. 

I genuinely believe that if we had our own studio coverage and commentators it wouldn’t feel half as bad. We all get wound up by the “assumption “ that everyone tuning in is desperate for an England victory. A Scottish panel providing coverage for a non partisan audience would solve a lot of the issues I have. I think the reason we don’t get this is not down to money it’s about establishing a cultural narrative.

Currently, there probably aren’t as many dislikeable characters in the England team as there have been in the past. However that is cancelled out for me by the number of diving cheats they now deploy. Kane plays every game looking to buy fouls, Saka and Foden go down in a slight breeze and Bellingham (who is definitely a fantastic talent) comes across as an entitled arsehole who also spends the 90 minutes trying to con the ref. Yes other teams do it but I’d say England are the worst by some margin. So basically they have the advantage of a large population a heavily monetised league, multi millionaire football stars but they are dreadful cheats. 

I think the main thing for me, the thing I fear about the whole thing is how it will leak culturally into everything for decades. In years gone by you saw the England team in a live match or in Top of the Pops. If they win this thing half the tv adverts for the next year or so will have an England dynamic and the players will be eulogised on a daily basis . They will be turning up at awards ceremonies, guest appearances on Ant and Dec , Bellingham will get to present his own tv show etc. Now I by and large don’t watch that sort of tv anyway so I could avoid it.

But like a lot of the guys on here my missus watches normal TV shows, so there is going to be no escape- trapped in an Anglo- centric propaganda machine . 

Edited by Stevie Kirk

16 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I’m with you on this as I have been trying to work out exactly what it is that makes the idea of England winning a trophy so abhorrent. 

I genuinely believe that if we had our own studio coverage and commentators it wouldn’t feel half as bad. We all get wound up by the “assumption “ that everyone tuning in is desperate for an England victory. A Scottish panel providing coverage for a non partisan audience would solve a lot of the issues I have. I think the reason we don’t get this is not down to money it’s about establishing a cultural narrative.

Not Scottish, and unsure if i've mentioned it already but I have been catching most of this tournament on the Irish channel "RTE" and brother.... What a difference. 

Not buying this "they're all so likeable" shite.

Pickford is the worst kind of "eccentric" character who revels in being annoying. 

Kyle Walker, Phil Foden and Kieran Trippier are LOVE RATS. 

John Stones shills for Oral B on TikTok. 

Declan Rice has a Celtic-minded first name. 

Jude Bellendham conducts himself like a pound-shop Zlatan Ibrahimovic. 

Harry Kane is as bad a diver as you'll ever see in football. 

I'm sure Mark Guehi is a dick anaw. 

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Anyone who thinks Foden has been better than Williams so far in this tournament needs to have their eyes surgically removed.

Williams has undoubtedly been on better form in the tournament so far, although Foden’s first half performance last night is levels above anything we’ve seen from Williams.

My post wasn’t about current form though that goes out the window in finals. 

Is my memory playing tricks or did we not have our own studio presentation for Scotland games at the 1982, 1986 & 1990 World Cups? We definitely had Scottish commentators - Archie for the BBC and Jock Brown STV. I'm sure I remember Dougie Donnelly and Arthur Montford presenting the coverage. Perhaps not for all three. I'm sure the Sweden game, which I was at but watched when I got back, was an all Scottish affair. I think Jock had moved to the BBC by then. This year we got Scottish voices from the BBC but had to suffer Sam Matterface from ITV for the first game.

3 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

We'll get one soon enough when Charles goes. Still a Spain win for this poster.

Agreed. If you're asking me, would I deny tens of millions of people a bank holiday, purely to avoid an English win being prevalent in a media that I actively avoid anyway, and get a few minutes of scoring points of one particular English mate then the answer is categorically yes. 

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Aye, I always think he comes across as a decent bloke.

Kane does come across OK in interviews, and is obviously a great striker - which makes it all the more galling that he spends so much of his time on the pitch diving, screaming, rolling around, and haranguing the ref.

38 minutes ago, East Calder Lion said:

Starmer hinting at a bank holiday if England win.....Jeezo tough choices!

Will happily work and also lose the bet I have on them to win it, thank you very much. 

Given I live in England, work will be quite enjoyable if they lose. 

Given that there wasn't a bank holiday when the english women won the Euros it's probably unlikely to happen. In any case I can well imagine the bald speccy one turning down Starmer's proposal for a UK wide Bank Holiday.