Scottish Cup Draws

1 hour ago, ATFC said:

League places only tell part of the story when it comes to shocks. I still reckon Darvel beating the Sheep is the biggest shock of the century. A lot of people genuinely hadn't heard of Darvel and it was live on the telly so that helped build the notoriety of the score in the national consciousness.

A part time non league side beating a professional top tier side should never happen. Darvel were more like a league 1 or 2 side in reality and Aberdeen were dog shit to the point I was telling folk that a tenner on Darvel wasn't as daft as it sounded. Even at that, it still had the sheer "WYF!?" value that you don't get unless it's a historically big and important team that comes a cropper. 

Brora beating Hearts should have had a similar impact but the COVID, not being on telly and Hearts being a Championship side detracted from it somewhat which is a shame for them. 

I mind looking out from the old house on the moray firth coast looking onto the sutherland coast and seeing wee red sparks go up from the fireworks. Listening on it to the radio and it was one of those that if you hadn't heard it you would never have believed it, for me it was more of a shock than the Darvel match. It almost seemed inevitable that Darvel would win what with everything happening at Aberdeen at that time.

2 hours ago, CountyinBorders said:

I mind looking out from the old house on the moray firth coast looking onto the sutherland coast and seeing wee red sparks go up from the fireworks. Listening on it to the radio and it was one of those that if you hadn't heard it you would never have believed it, for me it was more of a shock than the Darvel match. It almost seemed inevitable that Darvel would win what with everything happening at Aberdeen at that time.

Dons finished 3rd in league that season. It was a huge shock

1 hour ago, DanMan said:

4 WoSFL teams left in the draw.. Think we will get 2 into the next round. 

Never take anything for granted travelling to the far north. Dodgy weather, parks and officials can all be against you.

12 minutes ago, DanMan said:

Who said Clydebank were one of them? 😉

The bookies even though we are playing a team a tier above, away from home, with a shitload of travel to get there and that's without taking into account the other factors I mentioned.

Clydebank and Auchinleck are odds on with the bookies to advance the other two are heavily favoured to lose. 

Meadow would be my dark horse. They are at home, will have a big support and Colts have been struggling. 

Just now, clansman said:

The bookies even though we are playing a team a tier above, away from home, with a shitload of travel to get there and that's without taking into account the other factors I mentioned.

Clydebank and Auchinleck are odds on with the bookies to advance the other two are heavily favoured to lose. 

Meadow would be my dark horse. They are at home, will have a big support and Colts have been struggling. 

To be fair, for the players, travel shouldn't come into as they are going up tonight. For the fans, aye a pain in the ars3, but hey ho them's the breaks in the cup. Fancy Clydebank by a couple tbh. Also Talbot will go through (No doubt draw each other next round) If Medda turn up, they have a chance, but there form has been at best sketchy. Would like Threeve to pull off a shock, but after last weekend, can't see it.   

Back when Junior teams were first admitted to the Scottish you could get some really good odds on the likes of Clydebank up at a HL side but it's obvious these days that looking at tiers alone doesn't tell you very much about relative quality. 

Going up Norff is definitely a banana skin type of game though depending on how players feel after all that time on a bus or sleeping in a hotel bed instead of their own scratcher. 

Edited by ATFC

Just now, ATFC said:

Back when Junior teams were first admitted to the Scottish you could get some really good odds on the likes of Clydebank up at a HL side but it's obvious these days that looking at tiers alone doesn't tell you very much about relative quality. 

Going up Norff is definitely a banana skin type of game though depending on how players feel after all that time on a bus. 

Players are going up tonight, so shouldn't be an issue 

6 minutes ago, DanMan said:

HaHa..... All about the ......... timing.

As I said, no doubt Talbot v Bankies next round. 

I'm hopeful that Talbot's form has stabilised enough and home advantage helps us through. I expect it will be an ordeal of a match win or lose.

Bankies really should go through, it's unlikely but not inconceivable that Medda could pull off a shock, and I really can't see it happening with Theave but wish them all the best. 

12 minutes ago, ATFC said:

I'm hopeful that Talbot's form has stabilised enough and home advantage helps us through. I expect it will be an ordeal of a match win or lose.

Bankies really should go through, it's unlikely but not inconceivable that Medda could pull off a shock, and I really can't see it happening with Theave but wish them all the best. 

I think you’re a secret Bankies fan 😛

51 minutes ago, ATFC said:

@Jordi1977 keeps popping in here. Shhhh!

54 minutes ago, Eadie is God said:

I think you’re a secret Bankies fan 😛

I have a sort of grudging respect for Clydebank which is about as positive as I'm likely to get about a rival side.

Yeese are having a very good season and it seems like the things that were lacking before have been put right. If you go out tomorrow I'll be shocked but only one team losing is likely to shit upon my weekend feel good factor and that is the Bot.

(*I also like to see rob roy lose but I rarely mention that on here). 

Edited by ATFC

For what it's worth... I just can't see us getting a result tomorrow. This one has come up at just the wrong time for Broxburn. Last couple of games have been hard work to watch, bit of a defensive injury crisis, just started tweaking a bit with the formation and strikers have just gone off the boil a little. After the East Stirling game in the league, we've toiled... yes it was only about 3 weeks ago, but this game seems to be coming on our downward trajectory at moment.

Had this game come around the time of the draw, I would have fancied our chances a bit more.

Gutted I can't make it... pesky family commitments! I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think best we'll do is make it difficult for Talbot before giving away a couple of soft goals.