Your car history

My second car was a Hillman Super Minx.  Quite powerful for its time and incredibly comfortable.  I bought it for £85 and got £65 for it after a guy crashed into the side of me.

When decelerating it used to jump out of third gear.   It was easy to get used to and remedy by holding on to the gear stick!

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

When decelerating it used to jump out of third gear.   It was easy to get used to and remedy by holding on to the gear stick!

As an aside I don’t think I’ve driven a manual since the mid 1980s although I learnt to drive in a column shift Chrysler Valiant.

4 minutes ago, Eednud said:

As an aside I don’t think I’ve driven a manual since the mid 1980s although I learnt to drive in a column shift Chrysler Valiant.

I started to drive an automatic for the 1st time last July. 

Mini metro (Vanden Plas)

Rover 213

Astra 1.2

Sunny 1.6

Mazda RX7

Vectra 2.5 V6

Ssanyong Musso (Company)

Lexus GS300 (My best should never have traded it in)

BMW X5 (Worst, wanted rid of it after 2 days, kept it 3 months)

Fiat Stilo

Volkswagen Phaeton

Toyota Soarer

Ford Ranger

Mercedes C350e

Jaguar i-pace

Hyundai Santa-Fe

Still have the Santa-Fe and Soarer. 

Other cars that I have owned but used by my wife - 

Ssanyong Rodius, Honda Insight, Chrysler Voyager, Lexus Rx450h, Peugeot 5008.

Have also owned a few others such as the MG TF and some kit cars used for fun.

Edited by strichener

Had a raft of Vauxhalls back in the day. A couple of Novas, 3 Astras, and a Vectra all SRI/GSI type stuff. 

A Rover I bought for 25 quid as an mot failure that needed welding. It had a K series engine and flew along. 

A couple of quick Seat Ibizas 1 petrol 16V rally edition and a 160 bhp diesel that was a fucking rocket. 

A Ford Focus that was good fun to drive on country lanes. 

Currently rocking a Seat Leon estate which is a dad car with a fiddly control screen. 

Passed my test in October 1997 and used my mum's car(s) for a bit until I was "grown up enough" to buy and pay for my own. My history is something like: 

D reg white Nissan Micra bought for £200 from my mum's cousin in 1998. Had this for about two years but it was weird having the indicators on the right and wipers on the left of the steering wheel. Sold to a scrappy for £50 in 2000

K reg red Volkswagen Polo, bought in 2000. Traded in in 2001, 3 months after having to pay £600 to get a new petrol tank. 

V reg blue Ford Fiesta bought in 2001. Nothing special about this but it got me out and about around Scotland following Falkirk more. Was the first car I bought on finance

53 plate maroon Rover Streetwise. Horrible car, should never have bought it but I wanted to have something different to my pals, it was definitely different! 

09 plate silver/grey Corsa. Was the first and only car I've bought brand new. Kept it for 8 months and sold to we buy any car so I could start saving for a house and shared my partners car with her

12 plate grey Meriva is the first car my partner and I bought together, was a decent car and I liked the way the back doors opened. 

64 plate "Bocarai Blue" Mokka. Bought in the same week my son was due as we needed a bigger car for the travel system and is the car we brought him home from hospital in. I was also travelling Falkirk to Kirkcaldy every day for work at the time so it being diesel made financial sense. Liked it a lot but traded in in 2017 when I moved jobs closer to home and we needed to save some cash. 

64 plate white Meriva. Purely to cut running costs from the Mokka. For the mileage we do it was definitely worth buying, but it was a nightmare going uphill. Electrics went in September 2020

Current car is a 19 plate Tucson. Best car I've ever driven. Haven't had any issues with it.

Edited by FK1Bairn

Christ first car was an L reg Austin maestro, a true shed on wheels, manual choke was probably the most advanced thing on the car. 

Ran OK until I got clocked at 103 going up daviot hill on A9 (fecking caravan of caravans for most the journey and back teeth were beyond swimming and looking for a life guard).

Next was an astra, then partners mother lent it to a friend for a few days as it was a shared car. Never seen it again. 

Got a Nissan micra to myself after punting said partner and her family into the sea. (traded a Ps3 for it) 

1l electric kermit the frog green thing that had a screwdriver starter kit after the key snapped in ignition 

Then was my civic, loved that thing to bits. It met its end due to rust, nothing like a test centre sending a screw driver through the chassis around the fuel tank to upset your day. 

Emergency car buy of a Renault grand scenic, fucking hate this thing, had it 5 years now, rule 1 of cars is don't buy French, rule 2 is don't buy French cars with technology. 

On the soft lookout for something different. 

Also have access to my wife's yaris. That's an interesting car. Nae power, nae space but a touch on the fun side on windy roads. 

17 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Some of the "wee Sengas" that hung out by the secluded car parks then were probably still around in your day, but 25 years rougher and more than slightly shop-soiled.

Wid.

12 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Folk on here are either 150 years old or changing their car every year. 

A jag to a 2CV ffs 😂

Some of my cars only lasted a few months (the Orion, and the later Citroen).

2 hours ago, Eednud said:

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I started to drive an automatic for the 1st time last July. 

Driving an automatic is like making love to a beautiful woman…

IMG_2188.jpeg.bec3368ae0a7cf11fb7f9267394de496.jpeg

2009-2011 05 Renault Clio. Stereotypical Renault electrics.

2011-2014 09 Vauxhall Astra. Solid car.

2014-2016 58 Seat Altea XL. Great car, wife wrote it off.

2014-2016 57 Renault Megane. Renault electrics, again. 

2016-2019 16 Fait 500X. Decent.

2016-2019 66 Vauxhall Corsa. Red with white racing stripes. Loved that car.

2019-2024 66 Nissan X-trail. Solid family wagon, but in last 6 months needed too many repairs.

2024-… 70 Seat Tarraco. Like it so far, though a bit heavy on fuel.

Wife also has a fiat 500, 23 plate. She loves it, I’m less keen. It’s her second one of them. 

Austin Princess - 1850 stock tuned engine with bald tyres and no suspension. Interesting

Renault 5 - 950cc - teaches you humility on the road

Austin Maestro - meh

1972 VW Camper - needed too much welding but me and the missus shagged all over Tayside & Fife in that thing 

VW Passat - rust bucket. Alternator would fall off and bump along the road behind you. 

VW Golf Driver - great wee car. Had a lumpy bonnet where a piston tried to jump through.

VW Jetta - meh

Mazda something. - meh. Suspension came through the boot when I hit a pothole.

Ford Sierra - meh

Fiat Uno - meh

Subaru Pickup - excellent but thirsty. Rough, tough man's car.

Fiat Doblo van - bright yellow, 51 plate lease - the first new vehicle I'd ever had.

Ford Scorpio - bucket

Everything since has been a company car and I've lost track. Worst of them was a Ford Focus. Best was a Mitsubishi Outlander (just a great car). 

Latest is a Rav4 PHEV. Pretty good, exceptionally smooth. Very similar to the Outlander but more modern tech. Looks like Fisher Price designed the interior though. 

Some less familiar types…

1976 Ford Mustang II, Blue, 2.8L V-6 and a 4-speed. Pig of a car without air conditioning and a radio in the Louisiana heat.

1973 Ford Mustang, White, 5.7L V-8 and a 3-speed automatic. A beached whale, even with that big V-8.

1987 Ford Mustang LX, Blue, 5.0L V-8 and a 5-speed. Fast, really fast.

1991 Mazda Miata, Silver, 1.6L I-4 and a 5-speed. Brilliant car.

1993 Toyota MR-2, White, 2.0L Turbo and a 5-speed. Smooth, comfortable and fast.

1994 Chevrolet Corvette, Black, 5.7L V-8 and a 6-speed. Fast and comfortable…but squeaked like a mouse and creaked like old stairs.

1995 BMW 325iS, Blue, 2.5L I-6 and a 5-speed.  Close to an ultimate driving machine.

1997 BMW Z-3, Black, 1.9L I-4 (later supercharged by me) and a 5-speed. Fun car made more fun by the blower.

2000 Porsche Boxster, Red, 2.7L Flat-6 and a 5-speed. Fun car, not worth the cost to own or insure.

2001 Acura CL-S, Black, 3.2L V-6 and a 5-speed automatic. Meh, but comfortable.

2003 MINI Cooper S, Red, 1.6L Supercharged I-4 and a 5-speed. Fun, and even more fun after increasing boost pressure.

2006 Acura TSX, Blue, 2.4L I-4 and a 6-speed. Honda can make a killer manual transmission, and this one was one of the best ever. Great car, based on the Euro Accord.

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth, Black, 1.4L Turbo I-4 and a 5-speed. Not fast, but loud and proud…you have to love a car with no mufflers stock from the factory.

2015 Honda Accord EX Hybrid, Black, 2.0L I-4 plus an electric motor and a CVT. Great mileage and a solid family car.

2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, Black, 2.0L Turbo and a manumatic. Excellent driving car, with the temperament of an Italian mistress, and the reliability of a Lada. Clarkson was right, you have to own an Alfa once.

2020 Honda Accord Touring Hybrid, Silver, 2.0L plus dual electric motors and a CVT. Smooth and comfortable with great mileage.

1991 Honda Beat (JDM Import), Yellow, .656L I-3 and a 5-speed. Without a doubt the smallest, lowest power, slowest, least practical and silliest car I’ve even owned. It’s also the most brilliant car I’ve ever owned, and if I could only one of them again, I’d chose the Beat. Puts a smile on your face when you open the garage, and is a joy to drive, mainly because you have to drive it like you stole it just to stay up with traffic. You haven’t had fun till you’ve blasted up to the 8,500 rpm redline three times to get to just 55 mph.