Olympic Football 2024

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and there’s very strong arguments that (men’s) football should be nowhere near the Olympics, but it can still throw up some decent games. 

The men’s competition starts on Wednesday, with the women a day later. 

All games will be live on Discovery+, who are doing a £3.99 offer for the duration of the Olympics, but may also be free to Sky Q/stream subscribers. There’s also popup Eurosport channels on Virgin Media.

Wednesday’s fixtures:

IMG_5567.thumb.jpeg.e65196b740e0a82e4b43a48b519535e5.jpeg

Thursday:

IMG_5568.thumb.jpeg.d962bbb43d6d491ef8ceb1652ab1e3a0.jpeg

10 minutes ago, The Master said:

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and there’s very strong arguments that (men’s) football should be nowhere near the Olympics, but it can still throw up some decent games. 

The men’s competition starts on Wednesday, with the women a day later. 

All games will be live on Discovery+, who are doing a £3.99 offer for the duration of the Olympics, but may also be free to Sky Q/stream subscribers. There’s also popup Eurosport channels on Virgin Media.

Wednesday’s fixtures:

IMG_5567.thumb.jpeg.e65196b740e0a82e4b43a48b519535e5.jpeg

Thursday:

IMG_5568.thumb.jpeg.d962bbb43d6d491ef8ceb1652ab1e3a0.jpeg

Is there a reason some countries are listed as u23 and other not? I thought it was an u23 tournament, with each country allowed a small number of exceptions.

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Is there a reason some countries are listed as u23 and other not? I thought it was an u23 tournament, with each country allowed a small number of exceptions.

The men's is U23, the women's is the full national teams.

More interested in the women's, especially as there is a Villa contingent. Always seems odd to me that the men don't give a shit and there are sixteen teams in the men's event, whereas it's a big deal for women's football but they only get twelve teams.

If I was in charge I'd reduce the men's to just eight teams in a straight knockout, but no under-23 teams, it's the full squads, and clubs aren't allowed to ban players from taking part. With it only being three games and played at a time when most big leagues would only be playing pre-season games anyway, I don't think they could complain too much.

The women treat it seriously and their clubs don't seem to moan so extend that competition to sixteen teams with a normal group stage.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

10 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The men's is U23, the women's is the full national teams.

Curious that some of the men's teams have U23 in their name and others don't, though.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Curious that some of the men's teams have U23 in their name and others don't, though.

I think it’s just a quirk of the BBC’s fixture system. 

At some point, for whatever reason, those teams will have been entered in the system with “U23” and whatever feed is providing the fixtures is triggering them to appear. 

Teams that aren’t in the system with “U23” are presumably just defaulting to the country name on its own. 

13 minutes ago, The Master said:

I think it’s just a quirk of the BBC’s fixture system. 

At some point, for whatever reason, those teams will have been entered in the system with “U23” and whatever feed is providing the fixtures is triggering them to appear. 

Teams that aren’t in the system with “U23” are presumably just defaulting to the country name on its own. 

Ah OK, ta. The BBC get their fixtures from Opta (as does Sky Sports and the SPFL, among others) and they do a pretty poor job. 

An absolute disgrace that Israel are being allowed to compete here, given that Russia and Belarus have explicitly been banned because of their involvement in the war in Ukraine.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

An absolute disgrace that Israel are being allowed to compete here, given that Russia and Belarus have explicitly been banned because of their involvement in the war in Ukraine.

The Israeli FA even have member clubs in the settlements FFS. They're participating in apartheid.

FIFA postponed its decision on suspending Israel until it got legal advice. Apparently the legal advice says that not only can they suspend Israel, under their statutes they're obligated to.

Belarusian athletes have to publicly state that they are against the war in Ukraine to be allowed to participate in the Olympics, while the Israel Olympic team has many athletes who have directly participated in war crimes and a report in May said that at least 270 Palestinian athletes had been killed since October last year.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Argentina have just scored a mental equaliser 15 minutes into injury time :lol:

ETA - It looks like some Moroccan fans are running on to scrap with Argentina players.

The game was suspended for an hour and now the “equaliser” has been ruled out for offside :lol: 

12 minutes ago, The Master said:

The game was suspended for an hour and now the “equaliser” has been ruled out for offside :lol: 

The end of the broadcast did seem a bit off. The commentators were trying to pass off the fans running onto the pitch as exuberant fans looking for selfies, when you could clearly see them fighting with the Argentina players iin the background.

On 23/07/2024 at 00:49, Bully Wee Villa said:

More interested in the women's, especially as there is a Villa contingent. Always seems odd to me that the men don't give a shit and there are sixteen teams in the men's event, whereas it's a big deal for women's football but they only get twelve teams.

If I was in charge I'd reduce the men's to just eight teams in a straight knockout, but no under-23 teams, it's the full squads, and clubs aren't allowed to ban players from taking part. With it only being three games and played at a time when most big leagues would only be playing pre-season games anyway, I don't think they could complain too much.

The women treat it seriously and their clubs don't seem to moan so extend that competition to sixteen teams with a normal group stage.

Love this idea. I'd do it as a reboot of the confederations cup

6 x continental winners

1 x host

1 x world cup winner

If anyone "qualifies" twice, then the holders get a shot.

We've now been deducted 6 points and members of our coaching staff have been suspended by FIFA for 12 months

My embarrassment at our federation has been upgraded to anger. Heads need to roll and they need to roll significantly higher than just Bev Priestman and her coaching staff.  The players (who didn't do anything wrong) have been royally fucked over by the actions of coaches and other members of the useless pile of dogshit that is the CSA.