πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡«πŸ‡·Games of the XXXIII Olympiad - Paris 2024 πŸ₯‡πŸ₯ˆπŸ₯‰

9 hours ago, forameus said:

Was watching the women's skateboarding earlier, and it was oddly melancholy to watch.Β  Lord of the Flies situation with most of them just being kids.Β  Think the Chinese athlete was 11.Β  Then it seemed like most of them took their turn to deck it.Β  One of them got up and looked completely lost after it like it was a primary school sports day.Β  Harrowing.

Still, every one of them doing a better job than I would have.Β  Probably a front-runner in my olympic sport of "when would I die competing in this event?"

Β 

I found the skateboarding quite uncomfortable viewing. Β Not because a bunch of children have more athletic ability than me, but because it seems a bit weird putting the hopes of a nation on an 11 year old, and holding them to standards of adults. Β 

10 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

What's this?

I'll have to go full-on athletics geek, so bear with me for a moment.

The current programme of T&F events is largely derived from semi-standardised, earlier sports. A lot of those used Imperial measures: furlong, quarter mile, half mile, mile; 16lbs for shot and hammer; 7ft diameter for shot and hammer circles.

However, from at least the early modern Olympics, there was tension between those and metric measurements. You can see this in the fact that the men's 400mH is run over 91.44cm barriers - or exactly 3ft.

For years, well into the 1970s, both Imperial and metric distances were run in Britain. Ranking lists appended "y" to indicate a "yards time". The conversion we used over one lap was that 400m would be about 0.3s faster than 440y.

Liddell ran the fastest time ever for a 400m race; but he wasn't as quick as the existing 440y WR - and to beat it "properly", he should really have been at least 0.3s, probably 0.4s faster.

32 minutes ago, sugna said:

I'll have to go full-on athletics geek, so bear with me for a moment.

The current programme of T&F events is largely derived from semi-standardised, earlier sports. A lot of those used Imperial measures: furlong, quarter mile, half mile, mile; 16lbs for shot and hammer; 7ft diameter for shot and hammer circles.

However, from at least the early modern Olympics, there was tension between those and metric measurements. You can see this in the fact that the men's 400mH is run over 91.44cm barriers - or exactly 3ft.

For years, well into the 1970s, both Imperial and metric distances were run in Britain. Ranking lists appended "y" to indicate a "yards time". The conversion we used over one lap was that 400m would be about 0.3s faster than 440y.

Liddell ran the fastest time ever for a 400m race; but he wasn't as quick as the existing 440y WR - and to beat it "properly", he should really have been at least 0.3s, probably 0.4s faster.

*Doffs cap* Tremendous pedantryΒ 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Elixir said:

That Mills bellend on his arse and crying about the French in his interview afterwards. Pleasing.

He's been put through to next round, they all have except the French guy.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

After giving the Hannah Green, Charley Hull and Rose Zhang group the big build up, two of them f**k it in the water off the first tee. Green the only one to stay on dry land.

Hull now +8 after 13 holes. I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest she's out of medal contention...

33 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Hull now +8 after 13 holes. I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest she's out of medal contention...

Seen an article earlier that she’s been told she’s not allowed to smoke while going round the courseΒ :lol:Β Wonder if the withdrawals are to blameΒ 

The skateboarding looks shite - it was the same in Tokyo. They never seem to do as big tricks as they do at say the X Games. Doesn't help that a childhood of playing Tony Hawkes means that I'm expecting them to be linking mental skills together while grinding off buses and flying down stairs. Also doesn't help that the commentators said "these are the best skateboarders in the World" then the first guy fell doing his first trick.Β 

48 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The skateboarding looks shite - it was the same in Tokyo. They never seem to do as big tricks as they do at say the X Games. Doesn't help that a childhood of playing Tony Hawkes means that I'm expecting them to be linking mental skills together while grinding off buses and flying down stairs. Also doesn't help that the commentators said "these are the best skateboarders in the World" then the first guy fell doing his first trick.Β 

A 51 year old should really question his life choices when he’s competing against (and losing to) pre teenage kids. Β 

10 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Greenied because I love snippets like that.Β  Did you know that Kate Bush and Daley Thompson recently celebrated their 66th birthdays on the same dayΒ  ?

I wanted that to say β€œbriefly dated”.

5 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Just saw Britain make a dick of the cycling. Wonders never cease

Looks like he was f**ked and literally fell off the saddle, some effort to keep it so close, there was 2 seconds between the teams in their qualifying times.

The reigning world champion Danish team made a far bigger c**t of it in the bronze medal race.

Edited by peasy23

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Britain were never winning that, even if they hadn't f**ked it up at the end.

The lad on Eurosport said he was gutted because this rivalry has been going on between England and Australia for years.

He's now dead to me.

Edited by jimbaxters