πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡«πŸ‡·Games of the XXXIII Olympiad - Paris 2024 πŸ₯‡πŸ₯ˆπŸ₯‰

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Imagine being that drunk at the Olympics. Bit of a minter really.

It’s the only way you can cope with Steve Cram to be honest.Β 

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

He looked unconscious. Β 

He did a full 180 in the air and landed really hard. He was stretchered off in a neck brace. L'Equipe are reporting that he regained consciousness before being taken to hospital

Video in spoilers here - think it's a slightly different angle to the one in the live BBC broadcast, and makes what happened a bit clearer.

Spoiler

Β 

Β 

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Β 

Marginal gains innit?

Β 

I seen this shared online yesterday and does get you thinking about some of these American performances. They are always quick to point finger at Jamaica / China etc.Β 

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/news/wada-statement-reuters-story-exposing-usada-scheme-contravention-world-anti-doping-code

Apparently it's desperately unfair to be disqualified for not making weight in Wrestling "it was only 100 grams" and she'd been "starving herself and cutting her hair" to make weight. Eh, tough?

On 04/08/2024 at 12:53, Jambomo said:

I actually am going to apologise for saying this. I got into a debate and got annoyed which led me into stating things that on reflection I actually don’t think.

Khelif is a woman. She was born that and identifies as that, so I was wrong to say I didn’t know her gender, in that regards. She’s also not done anything wrong through this whole thing, she is just being the person she is, I feel sorry for her that she’s been brought into this debate.

I do feel though, that there is still some questions to be answered about those people who have both male and female sex characteristics and how this is reflected in sport, which has long been defined in biological sex categories. The debate though, is much more difficult and complex than β€œIs this a man and is this a woman?”

There is a section of men in society that I think have the desire to say β€œDon’t even ask the question on this or you are bigots” to women. I strongly suspect this is not because they care about any of the athletes in question. That’s why I got annoyed, because I felt the arguments here were taking that turn.

Anyway, I felt bad about what I wrote and so I wanted Β to say that.Β 

I'm glad to see this post and totally commend you for it. I'm going to address your second last paragraph though as I feel it is aimed a little at me.

I love boxing. It's my favourite sport. Have boxed a bit myself despite being relatively shit and stay up to all hours watching it.Β 

There's so much to hate in boxing. Saudi sports washing, awful judging, coke addled spectators at big fights, awful rhetoric in the build up to some fights talking about catching bodies when numerous boxers have lost their lives, widespread use of PEDs, convicted women beaters like Chisora being hailed as heroes and most importantly, the very existence of Tony Bellew.

Beyond all that, I love it and to see it be used by people with no genuine interest in the sport (I'm not saying you here at all btw) as a pawn in a quite frankly disgusting culture war against trans people - by both men and women - is sickening.Β 

Without any real evidence and reading on the matter, Imane Khelif has basically been at the centre of a global witchhunt. No boxing fan wants to see a man fight a woman. However, there is zero credible evidence that Imane Khelif is a man or trans and has been branded as such with such confidence and arrogance by influential figures and millions of people who should know better.Β 

Those who were "concerned" about the first fight didn't show the same concern for Andy Ruiz fighting a multiple time drug cheat on Saturday. They didn't give a shit about such a brilliant young man like Pat Day dying on a Usyk undercard. Or the former partner of Chisora being humiliated and assaulted by him.

They scream fairness for Carini and her dreams. Where is the fairness for Imane Khelif as her very essence of being is called into question on no credible evidence at the moment where she is fulfilling here lifelong dream since being a little girl?Β 

Again, none of this is aimed at you at all, I know you didn't mean that - it's just made me really frustrated and sad to see what is a genuine issue being used and peddled by bad faith actors to bully a woman who has worked her whole life in a dangerous sport to achieve her dreams to further push their agenda - she is just the latest battleground in their shitty war. I hope you can see that was my point of view and that it's unfair to claim it was a man attempting to shut down debate.Β 

Edited by JMDP

Good start for Katarina Johnson-Thompson in the heptathlon, putting her in the lead.

A couple of good races tonight - Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone v Femke Bol is the big clash in the women's 400m hurdles and then Noah Lyles going for the spint double in the mens 200m.

I feel its worth mentioning in the boxing debate, and it might not add much to it, maybe even seem a bit petty, but Carini IMO acted f**king despicably in her fight with Khelif. An absolute minter for which she should be shunned from the sport. Pure opportunistic bigotry on her part. Saw an out where she could play the victim and grabbed it with both hands on the most cowardly way possible.Β