Bands that were everywhere and then disappeared

6 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I think The Auteurs just came up at a shitty time. Just prior, there was a little trend of two bands tipped to go supernova, one did and one didn't - Oasis/Whiteout and Suede/Adorable are the ones that spring to mind. When The Auteurs came thru it was in the middle of that New Wave of No Wave thing, with such luminaries as These Animal Men (and to be fair, Speed King was a decent song) and S*M*A*S*H. Those two might be decent candidates for this thread too. 

The Auteurs' lead singer, Luke Haines, spends his days making solo concept albums with offbeat themes, about the Baader Meinhoff gang, or Chris Evans becoming a religious martyr in an alternative history England, or miniature scale model villages. I suspect this is more in line with what he always wanted than just being a popstar in the nineties.

44 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Tones & I. That Dance Monkey song was everywhere in 2019. 

However thankfully I don't think they've done anything of note since.

I assumed the COVID pandemic was divine punishment on humanity as a collective for allowing such a fucking awful song to become so big.

to be fair if you'd had a youtube video get 2 billiion views you'd probably be doing f*** all as well 

1 hour ago, Venti said:

Mansun seemed to vanish.

Still think they are good.

Don't look into that one too hard either, unless you want a fair bit of disappointment. Singer's lost his shit quite badly. 

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Don't look into that one too hard either, unless you want a fair bit of disappointment. Singer's lost his shit quite badly. 

Thinking back to my Indie Disco days of my 20s, off the top of my head we've got The Datsuns, The Automatic, The Klaxons, Ladyhawke and MGMT. No idea if any of them are still going 

1 hour ago, Venti said:

Mansun seemed to vanish.

Still think they are good.

I posted this on the Motherwell thread, pointing out that we didn't need Hollywood Erik to make a decent video.....

19 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Jeff Beck was everywhere and then nowhere.

I totally get the HiHo Silver Lining joke. 

He hated that song despite it being his biggest hit.  

Saw him live in Edinburgh on the "There and Back" Tour in 1980.  Technique, tone and finesse were awesome .

6 minutes ago, Dan Electro said:

I posted this on the Motherwell thread, pointing out that we didn't need Hollywood Erik to make a decent video.....

Might be a Mandela Effect but I'm sure the singer was on Gamesmaster or Games World,

Just now, Deanburn Dave said:

I totally get the HiHo Silver Lining joke. 

He hated that song despite it being his biggest hit.  

Saw him live in Edinburgh on the "There and Back" Tour in 1980.  Technique, tone and finesse were awesome .

Latterly, Radiohead disowned Creep. Initially, it wasn't on your debut album. So, why release it on later releases of Pablo Honey.....?

7 minutes ago, Venti said:

Might be a Mandela Effect but I'm sure the singer was on Gamesmaster or Games World,

Erm, perhaps, oddly, of a different generation, matey.....

In order, Blondie albums listened to, in chronological order: 

1. Blondie

2. Plastic Letters 

3. Parallel Lines

4. Eat to the Beat

(From eight to 13 ish; had older brothers and sister).

Almost enjoyed most guitar bands of 1994 to 1998; not even Menswear or Marion are cringe for myself today.....

(Apologies if slightly off topic.....)

1 minute ago, Dan Electro said:

Erm, perhaps, oddly, of a different generation, matey.....

In order, Blondie albums listened to, in chronological order: 

1. Blondie

2. Plastic Letters 

3. Parallel Lines

4. Eat to the Beat

(From eight to 13 ish; had older brothers and sister).

Almost enjoyed most guitar bands of 1994 to 1998; not even Menswear or Marion are cringe for myself today.....

(Apologies if slightly off topic.....)

Too far.

The chancers chancers. Talentless poser hanger on twats. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Too far.

The chancers chancers. Talentless poser hanger on twats. 

Fine! Please point me to a sharper guitar tune today versus Stardust, that isn't The Last Dinner Party, even, via PM. I absolutely love my music.....

34 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Thinking back to my Indie Disco days of my 20s, off the top of my head we've got The Datsuns, The Automatic, The Klaxons, Ladyhawke and MGMT. No idea if any of them are still going 

MGMT are still going and are inexplicably popular. Moreso in America, I think. 

The Automatic were great but suffered from a line-up change and a record company and I found this earlier this year when I looked them up In search of The Automatic, the band that scored a monster hit then disappeared - Wales Online

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

MGMT are still going and are inexplicably popular. Moreso in America, I think. 

The Automatic were great but suffered from a line-up change and a record company and I found this earlier this year when I looked them up In search of The Automatic, the band that scored a monster hit then disappeared - Wales Online

Glad to hear, MGMT were a fine band probably unfairly grouped with all the other bands around that time when they really were so much more 

47 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

MGMT and Ladyhawe both still get a good playing on my Spotify. 

I'll add Morchebba to that list but don't know if they'd be considered as being "everywhere" at any point

Edited by Spyro