Falkirk Vs Queens Park

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The two things aren't actually related in any way. I'm sure you know that though. 

"I suppose that’s what it’s going to be like this season - dodging hammer throwers."

He seemed to be implying that there are numerous unskilled, physical teams that are going to try to disrupt Falkirk's total football, that seemed more like the chat from a team relegated from the premiership than one just promoted from league one. Mibbe I've just picked him up wrong?

Not for us tonight obviously, but it’s a shame what Zak Rudden has become as a player. He was a massive shining light in a dogshit Falkirk team, scoring 12 goals at this level as an 18 year old. Thought he’d kick on and at least become maybe a bottom end Premiership striker. However, he was honking tonight and has been the last few times I’ve watched him. Runs about a lot, but totally ineffectual.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

Great to get off to a winning start when we weren't at our best and with Nesbitt out. Think tonight was always going to be slightly nervy with first game back in championship, flag unfurling, BBC there etc. thought QP were poor and we should have been further ahead at HT.

Still creating plenty of chances but the lack of composure in the final passes and shots needs improved.  Thought Hogarth was solid tonight as were the defence.

Think we might play a lot better next week away at Dunfermline.

1 minute ago, ALJAGS76 said:

"I suppose that’s what it’s going to be like this season - dodging hammer throwers."

He seemed to be implying that there are numerous unskilled, physical teams that are going to try to disrupt Falkirk's total football, that seemed more like the chat from a team relegated from the premiership than one just promoted from league one. Mibbe I've just picked him up wrong?

If I were setting up to beat Falkirk, I'd aim for physicality and rough stuff. 

Point was though, where we were playing last season bears no relevance whatsoever. The way to disrupt midfielders like Tait and Spencer from running games which they absolutely can do, is to get right in their faces. We absolutely will face that this season, owing to the fact that its a pretty obvious way to go 

6 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Zak Rudden

Carthorse or donkey?

He’s certainly filled out. Had a couple of chances and left his foot in a few times. Would still have him as back-up for MacIver. 

57 minutes ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Some genuinely horrible refereeing there....the free kick on half time the obvious candidate in a "what the f**k was that for" performance 

Give it time, there are plenty of numpties who referee games in the Championship, its a recurring theme….

9 minutes ago, Darth Crabbit said:

Give it time, there are plenty of numpties who referee games in the Championship, its a recurring theme….

Indeed but at least tonight there was not a decision that had a bearing on the outcome of the game. It will not always be so.

Thought we were really poor tonight. Starting Ujdur in his first actual game of football since January should have been a massive red flag for us, and along with Ferrie the two of them were utterly shambolic for the first goal. 

We probably should have been more than one down at half time, but an absolute screamer from Dom Thomas was cancelled out while I was still celebrating it. Thought in the second half we tried but all we did was lay bare our squad limitations. If we want to have any hope of doing anything other than fight against relegation we need two defensive additions and another striker as soon as feasibly possible. 

Thought Thomson and McGregor were excellent, Kerr solid and Thomas made up for some poor decisions with that goal. The rest have to take a look at themselves.

Just now, Dave said:

Thought we were really poor tonight. Starting Ujdur in his first actual game of football since January should have been a massive red flag for us, and along with Ferrie the two of them were utterly shambolic for the first goal. 

We probably should have been more than one down at half time, but an absolute screamer from Dom Thomas was cancelled out while I was still celebrating it. Thought in the second half we tried but all we did was lay bare our squad limitations. If we want to have any hope of doing anything other than fight against relegation we need two defensive additions and another striker as soon as feasibly possible. 

Thought Thomson and McGregor were excellent, Kerr solid and Thomas made up for some poor decisions with that goal. The rest have to take a look at themselves.

Ferrie kept you in it after tbf. His save from Maciver was f**king magnificent 

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Ferrie kept you in it after tbf. His save from Maciver was f**king magnificent 

He absolutely did. And that is Ferrie in a nutshell. Making absolute worldie saves but then having absolute brainfarts, by parrying half-hit shots back into the box.

Thought Queens Park were poor and we were well on top especially in the first half. Queens had more of the ball in the second but didnt really threaten - wonder goal aside - and we were pretty comfortable.

Spencer or MacIver MotM for me. The former absolutely ran the show in midfield and the latter relentlessly bullied Queens defenders all over the park. We missed Nesbitt tonight but Oliver did ok in his role. McKenna looked good when he came on, wonder if he might start next week. 

Good crowd at over 5.5k and the backing we gave the team right from the first minute was excellent.

Hopefully Donaldson was just taken off as a precaution as his injury flaring up would be the only real negative from the evening. At least we've got an extra day to recover now before our invasion of EEP next week. It's good to be back 

4 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Was that the laddie with the dreads that came on playing down the left? He was scarily fast. 

aye, he's quick but we've not seen much more of him unfortunately
Initial impressions he actually reminds me of how Jai Quitongo played for us in L2, where he can get down the wing and beat his man (if not someone else's as well), but then lacks confidence to do much with the ball afterwards
Hopefully all that changes once he's had a few more minutes

Oh and for all you Falkirk fans talking about physicality, QP were probably the least physical team over the last couple of years in the championship. Just wait until Dougie Imrie's thugs get their hands on yous, you'll think we're saints

Just now, starshot131 said:

Oh and for all you Falkirk fans talking about physicality, QP were probably the least physical team over the last couple of years in the championship. Just wait until Dougie Imrie's thugs get their hands on yous, you'll think we're saints

Will they dive as much as you as well?

You can’t go away from home against decent Championship sides with one centre half and a bench full of children and expect to magically emerge victorious. So many square pegs in round holes. I don’t blame Davidson or the players. The recruitment strategy should have been in place in January and we appointed Haughey’s nephew in law, or whatever, at the beginning of June. 

Ludicrous goal by Thomas and thought Kerr and McGregor stood up well. Davidson badly needs reinforcements to bolster the squad and the players need to be freed up to play in their actual positions. 

Falkirk were decent, if not spectacular, which is pretty much what I’d expect from about seven of the teams in the league. Expect they’ll probably be top four. 

Edited by an86