Southport stabbings

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There are posters on here who appear to have limited capacity to understand that issues might have a complexity beyond someone being an ‘arsehole’.

You, being a Brexit voter, I assume would fall into this bracket.

5 minutes ago, Plumpy said:

No, what people are saying is two kids have been murdered and you blaming funding and resources. Again what is the cuts that caused this atrocity ?

You know something, this is a highly emotional subject, i think im going to just take a wee step away from this thread because its clear folks cant actually understand the points being made. 

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You, being a Brexit voter, I assume would fall into this bracket.

Not sure the relevance.  Oh wait, there is none, you just don’t have anything relevant to say.

3 minutes ago, Sheas_cake said:

Presumably when said person has been thoroughly psychologically examined and chucked into somewhere like Broadmoor as a result. 

So Peter Sutcliffe was not an arsehole?

"Mental health" is such a wide catch all and thrown around too easily. 

It's clear that a human being who can slaughter children has something not right about them. But all to often in crime mental health it rolled out to defend it minimise the guiltys role. 

Murderers are likely psychopaths and apart from a psychotic break caused by likes of schizophrenia there's very few conditions that would see someone playing kids in the street.

There are families facing a level of pain I hope none of us here ever have to feel.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Where do you draw the line when it comes to acts of violence, though? At what point does an arsehole become not an arsehole, but instead merely someone with mental health issues? 

The line is usually drawn by the courts, doctors, psychiatrists etc 

Not all arseholes have mental health issues, but I'll stick my neck out and say an arsehole who stabs multiple young children is highly likely to be seriously unwell, mentally.

16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If you apply that logic universally then the suggestion here appears to be that with infinite money to spend you would have a completely non-violent society.

I don't think anyone is arguing that tbh.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that while it wouldn't completely eradicate incidents or individuals like this, more and better funded services should identify and mitigate.

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Not all arseholes have mental health issues, but I'll stick my neck out and say an arsehole who stabs multiple young children is highly likely to be seriously unwell, mentally.

Potentially, but they'd still be an arsehole either way.

The line is usually drawn by the courts, doctors, psychiatrists etc 

Was Peter Sutcliffe an arsehole?

Edited by Todd_is_God

21 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You know something, this is a highly emotional subject, i think im going to just take a wee step away from this thread because its clear folks cant actually understand the points being made. 

It worse than that. They understand it full well.

They have made this their entire P&B persona and now feel the need to grandstand on the most extreme issues in their commitment to the bit.

Ironically accusing others of not treating the subject with sufficient gravity.

There's plenty studies now showing that the dopamine hit of online attention doesn't need to be positive. It's the engagement that matters. 

51 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Is it really such a leap to suggest that someone who stabs children to death may not be in the best of mental health?

According to social media that depends on their skin colour.

6 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Probably, but I'm not assuming anything until we know what's on his hard drive.

39 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Was Peter Sutcliffe an arsehole?

More of a sadist than an arsehole, but I don't really think the two cases are comparable.

Sutcliffe's crimes took place over a very long period and his admission of guilt came well before his claim that 'God told him to do it'

He was convicted of multiple murders by a jury of his peers who rejected his defense of diminished responsibility and the psychiatric reports stating he was a paranoid schizophrenic.

34 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Anyone making it a ethnicity thing obviously thinks he could be Muslim.

Unconscious racial bias IMO.

I'm not so sure there's anything unconscious about it. 

The far right brigade are absolutely desperate for him to be a Muslim. 

You can be mentally ill and a good guy, you can be mentally ill and an arsehole. Nobody is saying that the cuts to the NHS and other services excuse his actions, nobody is saying that him having the best medical care possible would have prevented this.

This comparison is probably a stretch but people rightly condemn Hamas, IRA etc for the crimes they commit but never think about why they’ve committed them and why they can justify it to themselves. They need to take the emotion out of it and look at why he did it, what about his life caused his condition, whether he was failed by family, school, doctors etc. Work that out and try to stop similar things happening to other people in the future.  

7 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Is arsehole a medical term these days?

Yes it is. Like the Glasgow Coma Scale and the Bristol Stool Chart, the Airdrie Arsehole Thingmy is the universal tool for all arsehole measurements.

Reference earlier to lack of money in social services meaning people don't get help, I remember talking to social workers and council types about ten years ago and the chat about budgets.  The consensus was social care is a black hole that no amount of money will ever fill. It's the first council department to go over budget every single year. The amount of need out there far exceeds any resources that could ever be made available.

https://www.countycouncilsnetwork.org.uk/councils-call-for-honest-discussion-on-what-they-should-be-expected-to-deliver-as-new-data-reveals-local-authorities-spend-two-thirds-of-their-budgets-on-care-services/

For councils across all of England with social care responsibilities, both children’s services and adult social care now consume 65% of a local authority’s entire budget on average up from 57% in 2014.