Motherwell v Ross County - 03/08/24

At the start of the season I am keen to see our first goal, our first point, our first win.  Hopefully some of these come on Saturday, then the season is really started.

8 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

There are a few I haven’t heard much of, as of late.  Is Allardice injured again?  Sheaf seems to be well down the pecking order now.  

Sheaf & Nightingale are back training with the squad this week after knocks.

Allardice wasn't great preseason, looked a bit sloppy imo so many he's a little behind too.

Grieve & Denholm looked good on Saturday so I'd expect them to play a part on Saturday.

3 hours ago, ropy said:

At the start of the season I am keen to see our first goal, our first point, our first win.  Hopefully some of these come on Saturday, then the season is really started.

Keeping in mind last season, I’d be happy to see our first well worked throw in.   

31 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Keeping in mind last season, I’d be happy to see our first well worked throw in.   

From a Motherwell perspective in this regard, BALMER MUST START. 

Actually looking forward to Saturday, despite the shite I witnessed against Clyde and Thistle. The midfield will  basically pick itself with the lack of available numbers in there at the moment, but interested to see who gets the nod in defence and attack in the first 'real' game of the season.

Going to be positive and predict a decent performance and  2-1 home win. Absolutely no reasoning behind it other than early optimism for the season ahead. If you can't set yourself up for crushing disappointment going into the season opener, when can you?

Edited by 'WellDel

It's probably not a mentally negative take to say that if we have to name the same XI as last Sunday, we'll lose. I don't think we will but will Seddon and McGinn be sharp enough to make the difference? Balmer would also be a boost but hard to say why he's not been playing.

That might give us a decent chance of conceding only once and even with the most uninspired midfield of all-time, we could always nick one to salvage a draw... but that'll be the best we can manage, we - and our peers fwiw - just can't cope with five or six starters being injured or not 100%.

It's Friday which means it's been a few days since I saw a Motherwell game. I am back to being 100% positive now.

Revised score 2-0 to the well. 

19 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

From a Motherwell perspective in this regard, BALMER MUST START. 

Actually looking forward to Saturday, despite the shite I witnessed against Clyde and Thistle. The midfield will  basically pick itself with the lack of available numbers in there at the moment, but interested to see who gets the nod in defence and attack in the first 'real' game of the season.

Going to be positive and predict a decent performance and  2-1 home win. Absolutely no reasoning behind it other than early optimism for the season ahead. If you can't set yourself up for crushing disappointment going into the season opener, when can you?

Absolutely agree re Balmer, however just don’t think he will start him. More likely to play SODs RCB that play him. I just don’t get it tbh. 

Feeling underwhelmed for this season if I am honest. Hopefully Stama gets some game time and actually gives us some optimism or he plays Miller in the middle and doesn’t waste him on the left.

Halliday will start as we have no other options unfortunately. Yawn.

Don't quote me on this but I thought  saw signs saying they were there for 3 weeks

That may have been Airbles road though. 

55 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Can any of the locals tell me if there are still roadworks on Hamilton Road? It took me forever to get away on Sunday. 

No idea how the game will go but if we play like we did on Sunday we'll lose.

I turned right at the park to go up Airbles earlier today. Didn’t go up Hamilton road but could see signs at the crest of the hill at Braedale/Jet. Still one lane from lights to M74 join. Don’t know where you’re going but M8 via Ravenscraig may be a good shout.

Looking forward to the start of the league today and going into it in an upbeat mood this season. We haven't performed well in the group stage of the league cup but it was always more about giving players game time. But to come through our group with 4 wins with having 2 teams in our group who I expect to be serious contenders for the championship bodes well.

Have been impressed by the summer signings with the exception of Lammie and Telfer who the jury is still out on. Macleod has impressed on his step up. With 3 goals in a game and a half Ronan Hale looks like he could fill the void left by Simon Murray's departure. Wright, Grieves and Denholm have looked good and lokking forward to see what Chilvers brings to the team.

I expect a tight game but I think we can come away with a 2-1 win 

As many have said f we start with most of the team from Sundays game. Then our chances of a positive result are much diminished. 

I would hope for at least 6 of our 11 new signings to start rather than 3. If not then what is the point. Most other teams seem to be able to start their summer signings. 

I am the least optimistic I have been going into the 1st game of the season. But I am often wrong and hope that today is no different 🙏.

Im not usually pessimistic at the start of a season, but I think we will struggle today.

Im quite pleased with the business we have done over the summer, but too many of the new recruits are either injured or not fit enough to start.

That leaves us with the guts of the squad that struggled last season.

No idea how strong County will be but they always seem to find a way to bring in players that at the very worst dont weaken them.

Im going for a tight game with only one goal in it either way, but wouldnt be surprised at a draw.