Horrific car hire models experienced

I had to borrow my mate's Spesh Rockhopper full suss (or maybe a stump jumper.....whatever the full suss version was) after my tourer got nicked. Can't understand why people commute on anything with suspension at all. It was like sitting on a lazy boy, but it felt like every bit of power was absorbed by the bike like it was made of marshmallows. Slower than that time I rode into the Storm.Arwyn headwind.

Hired a Smart car in Spain and took it up into the hills. Ridiculously steep and tight hairpin bends. I shat it when the front wheels started slipping on a steep corner and I could feel the thing lifting up at the front with a sheer drop to the side and behind me. 

Not a hire car but I was given a loan of a company car when mine was being fixed - a Renault Megane. Enough said.  

ETA - This was 20+ years ago so maybe it's been improved. 

Edited by hk blues

Had some wee piece of shite from a car club recently maybe a corsa or something and it kept trying to stop me changing lanes on the motorway. Eventually figured out what was going on and switched it off. That and having a beeping panic attack when parking, but still being at least a foot away from anything. Stupid gadgety c**t of a thing. 

49 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Had some wee piece of shite from a car club recently maybe a corsa or something and it kept trying to stop me changing lanes on the motorway. Eventually figured out what was going on and switched it off. That and having a beeping panic attack when parking, but still being at least a foot away from anything. Stupid gadgety c**t of a thing. 

Can I ask what you normally drive?

16 minutes ago, coprolite said:

A qashqai

Well that's that theory quashed by a quashqai then - I was trying to tee up a cheap joke about Audi/BMW drivers.

The hired Corsa wouldn't have been complaining about your changing lanes on the motorway if you'd been using your indicators...

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Well that's that theory quashed by a quashqai then - I was trying to tee up a cheap joke about Audi/BMW drivers.

The hired Corsa wouldn't have been complaining about your changing lanes on the motorway if you'd been using your indicators...

I was taught not to when pulling back in. 

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Not a hire car but I was given a loan of a company car when mine was being fixed - a Renault Megane. Enough said.  

ETA - This was 20+ years ago so maybe it's been improved. 

With a mere ninety brake-horsepower available, progress is too leisurely to be called fast, but on the motorway in fifth gear the Megane's slow pace really becomes a pain. Uphill runs become power sappingly mundane, while overtaking National Express coaches can become a long drawn out affair.

Not my words, hk, the words of Top Gear Magazine.

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Would that have been the one about indicators being a delete option ?

Edited by beefybake

36 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Would that have been the one about indicators being a delete option ?

Where I now live people not using their indicators is very much the norm.  I include the police, civil guard and ambulance drivers in that.

I still indicate as I did when driving in the UK though I have adapted to one other practice, namely staying in the inside lane when going round a roundabout simply because it’s dangerous not to do so.

For the benefit of the old fogeys - you’re supposed to indicate when pulling back in. A lane change is a lane change.

Were people also taught back in the day to indicate right when going straight on at a roundabout? Because that would explain a lot.

5 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

For the benefit of the old fogeys - you’re supposed to indicate when pulling back in. A lane change is a lane change.

No you’re not. Google it. 

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

No you’re not. Google it. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158#:~:text=Rule 133,and when clear%2C move over.

Lane discipline

Rule 133

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158#:~:text=Rule 133,and when clear%2C move over.

Lane discipline

Rule 133

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.

Yes move over, not back. I’ll go with the Highway Code, which doesn’t mention anything about indicating to move back in. 

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/using-the-road-overtaking.html

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

• not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
  • use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
  • not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
  • move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in

We have different models over here but the worst I have had was a Ford Focus that I had rented to drive to Toronto (about 4 hours so not a particularly long drive). It was a 1L 3 cylinder turbo engine that had terrible turbo lag, but worst of all the seats were so uncomfortable they felt like park benches so by the time we got to Toronto I was in excruciating pain

Edited by senorsoupe