St Johnstone v Aberdeen, Monday 05/08/24

Just now, AJF said:

Of course, I’m just saying it sounded like it was Clement. It’s entirely plausible it was Boyd the song I heard was being directed at and I’ve not heard it clearly.

I can’t remember which rag it was that confidently reported Aberdeen fans singing the famine song when it was actually “Glasgow’s a shithole”, so to not alone in needing to make it all about the old firm.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

Of course, I’m just saying it sounded like it was Clement. It’s entirely plausible it was Boyd the song I heard was being directed at and I’ve not heard it clearly.

Sounded like Clement to me too on the telly, FWIW. And it annoys me that some of our fans resort to it - should be leaving all that nonsense well alone. 

The best alternative anyone singing that would come up with for orange would be Belgian, though, which would also be embarrassing. I'll go out on a limb and say it's not the most egregious example from the weekend, though...

Edited by Ampersand
Spelling

11 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Re-classifying the word Orange as sectarian is Naval gazing of the finest order.

At very worst it could be sectarian if used against someone specifically because of their protestantism. 

Used against Clement, who isn't overtly protestant and being Belgian is just as likely to be Catholic, it obviously has the other meaning which it has in the eyes of most normal people, as being synonymous with 'bigoted'. 

It has this meaning because everyone associated with 'orange' culture (as opposed to everyone protestant) is a bigot, and is rightly addressed to PC because he's the public face of a bigoted institution. There is nothing sectarian about that. 

Obvious why rangers fans wish to pretend otherwise, but it's the argument is completely insincere. 

Fair bit of whataboutery here.

If we’re going to pull up rangers and Celtic fans for this kind of shite, and rightly so, then can hardly shrug it off when other clubs do it.

Fair play a couple of Dons have called this out as unacceptable on here.  Aberdeen were on the other end of this not so long ago, and it was classed as sectarian by the police at the time. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47928279.amp

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47938458.amp

The "Sumo" chant felt very old school - almost expected 'Here We Go' to follow.

Sumo brings back memories of attritional cup ties with United in the late 80s/early 90s and targeting Paatelainen - who in one had the last laugh scoring a screamer winner in the 15th replay or whatever it was.

Mixu still got it when he then signed for us, and had some good crack with the fans about it - great player actually.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Re-classifying the word Orange as sectarian is Naval gazing of the finest order.

It's not the word orange itself, it's the context it's used in, clearly.

It's one of the reasons that Rangers get heavily criticised for bringing out orange tops. People say it's to do with the religious connotations so why would this be different?

Just now, AJF said:

It's not the word orange itself, it's the context it's used in, clearly.

It's one of the reasons that Rangers get heavily criticised for bringing out orange tops. People say it's to do with the religious connotations so why would this be different?

No. You're deliberately muddying the waters.

It's because the orange order is a bigotted hate group.

Calling someone an "orange b****" if they are a member of the Orange Order is reasonable. Calling someone it because of their (possibly perceived) Protestantism, even if there is no evidence they are a member is sectarian.

Edited by craigkillie

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

No. You're deliberately muddying the waters.

It's because the orange order is a bigotted hate group.

I've already put forward why I disagree with that. Orange is synonymous with the Protestant faith, not just the Orange Order.

As pointed out previously, McIness was previously targeted with the same abuse and it was branded sectarian. Are we to believe this was because people have a genuine belief that he is a member of the OO?

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

I've already put forward why I disagree with that. Orange is synonymous with the Protestant faith, not just the Orange Order.

As pointed out previously, McIness was previously targeted with the same abuse and it was branded sectarian. Are we to believe this was because people have a genuine belief that he is a member of the OO?

It all depends on context.

Rangers align themselves with the orange order. This is beyond dispute.

The OO is a bigoted hate group, which right-thinking people abhor.

You're cool with supporting a team that openly aligns itself with the Orange Order, so to my mind you've got to take it on the chin if someone calls you an OB.

If I were to call you an OB purely because I suspect you of being a protestant, then that would be a different story. But if it's because you're a Rangers fan, I have no objection.

If you were part of an openly fascist Lazio fan group, I'd have no objection to someone calling you a fascist c**t, and this is similar.

Edited by VincentGuerin

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It all depends on context.

Rangers align themselves with the orange order. This is beyond dispute.

The OO is a bigoted hate group, which right-thinking people abhor.

You're cool with supporting a team that openly aligns itself with the Orange Order, so to my mind you've got to take it on the chin if someone calls you an OB.

If I were to call you an OB purely because I suspect you of being a protestant, then that would be a different story. But if it's because you're a Rangers fan, I have no objection.

I fear this just treads closely to the argument that Rangers fans often disingenuously make where they claim F***** is just a term used for Celtic fans and is not religiously motivated.

Edited by AJF

Just now, AJF said:

I fear this just treads closely to the argument that Rangers fans make where they claim F***** is just a term used for Celtic fans and is not religiously motivated.

I can see why you'd like to continue to make nonsense claims and hope we're all stupid enough to buy them, yes.

As I've already said, if someone is calling you an OB as they think you're a protestant and that's it, then that's a different story.

When Rangers fans use ******, they mean catholic. I hope you're not going to insult us by kidding on we've got a bunch of keen historians of the UK and Ireland populating the stands at Ibrox.