Queen's v Cove

I'll take that, first home game and a win (given our horrendous home form of the previous few seasons). Sounds as though we might have been a bit lucky at the end with Cove hitting the bar late on ... but given our big injury list, a win's a win.  Good for the confidence going into the big derby with Annan.

Thought we deserved at the least a draw but if you look at the wider context of having a bench with 1 or 2 SPFL appearances between them a lack of creativity no one willing to beat a player and never really testing their keeper I suppose it is what it is. Doyle should be permanently made the captain. 

It’s very early but if we don’t win next week I really can’t see where a win will come from. 

Edited by Watson Nimrod

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A poor game.

A poor performance.

A good result.

They say a sign of a good team is that they can play poor and still win .

1st half especially Cove had all the ball should really have been ahead at the break .

2nd half we looked better with Cochrane on and Benji up top at least then we had the option of going long rather than that slow passing that was getting us nowhere .

Walker made a difference as well.

We need to be miles better than that hopefully our injured players are not far away from being fit.

16 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A poor game.

A poor performance.

A good result.

Sums it up really. I appreciate we've got important players missing but there's really no excuse for not doing the easy things like playing a simple pass to a teammate instead of gifting it to the opposition. I couldn't really see us coming back after going behind but we looked far better once we started to press the Cove defence. A win at Palmerston is rare so really shouldn't be too down. 

4 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Thought we deserved at the least a draw but if you look at the wider context of having a bench with 1 or 2 SPFL appearances between them a lack of creativity and no one willing to beat a player I suppose it is what it is. Doyle should be permanently made the captain. 

It’s very early but if we don’t win next week I really can’t see where a win will come from. 

In agreement with you here, a game where neither team really did enough for a win in my opinion and we were, to say the least, slightly lucky to take the 3 points.  "Attritional" is probably the word I'd use to describe it, certainly not a game that will live long in the memory

That said, from the games I've seen this season it's clear that the players are understanding the roles that Murphy is giving them.  None of this "not following instructions" crap that Bartley peddled last season.  Felt a bit sorry for Doherty today, he may be limited but you could see what he was trying to do even if it rarely came off for him.  I like what I'm seeing of Hewitt now though.  I'm not sure if Benji isn't 100% match fit but he looks very laboured at times?  Kennedy is so one-footed it is unbelievable! 

Due to our injury problems we're basically relying on two traditional wingers getting into positions to score the goals for us, so hopefully McIntosh isn't far away from returning. 

Upwards and onwards as we look forward to taking on the runaway league leaders next!

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

Yes I have seen McKechnie this season. That’s my point. 

Explain your point to me? 

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A poor game.

A poor performance.

A good result.

Going to argue that was a pretty good performance tbh. As I said at HT, we are so lacking in numbers just now that if we can stay near the top until our players are back then I'll be absolutely delighted. We also got 3 points from a game today that we'd have lost by HT last season. The defence yet again was pretty solid but for a couple of lapses. We got a rare win at home and even rarer, we came from behind to win a game and all in the same half. I'd also have to say it was a brilliant performance from Murphy. He could clearly see we needed a bit of fight in the middle and got Cochrane on at HT. I was gobsmacked Walker didn't replace McKechnie at the same time but he held on and got that sub spot on as well - literally changed the game for us. 

I'm not any way saying we played to a standard that I want to see (particularly at home) in an attacking sense. But folk need a wee bit of a reality check going by the shouts today. We have two young lads playing who aren't good enough to be regulars IMO. We don't have a striker. And we're missing two of our best midfielders. 

Absolutely delighted with the outcome today and a hard fought win. Cove can feel hard done if they want but the reality is Stewart again had very little to do. 

Brydon comfortably my motm followed by Walker's game changing introduction. 

9 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Sums it up really. I appreciate we've got important players missing but there's really no excuse for not doing the easy things like playing a simple pass to a teammate instead of gifting it to the opposition. I couldn't really see us coming back after going behind but we looked far better once we started to press the Cove defence. A win at Palmerston is rare so really shouldn't be too down. 

Tbf, we only really lost the ball after we hoofed it long at the request of the (constantly moaning) support. 

That was enough to get football banned today, that was absolutely awful. I seen queen's play better and get beat. A positive  from today- reasonably solid at the back, Benji got better as the game went on but still not back to his best(hopefully he saves his best for next Saturday)

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Explain your point to me? 

Going to argue that was a pretty good performance tbh. As I said at HT, we are so lacking in numbers just now that if we can stay near the top until our players are back then I'll be absolutely delighted. We also got 3 points from a game today that we'd have lost by HT last season. The defence yet again was pretty solid but for a couple of lapses. We got a rare win at home and even rarer, we came from behind to win a game and all in the same half. I'd also have to say it was a brilliant performance from Murphy. He could clearly see we needed a bit of fight in the middle and got Cochrane on at HT. I was gobsmacked Walker didn't replace McKechnie at the same time but he held on and got that sub spot on as well - literally changed the game for us. 

I'm not any way saying we played to a standard that I want to see (particularly at home) in an attacking sense. But folk need a wee bit of a reality check going by the shouts today. We have two young lads playing who aren't good enough to be regulars IMO. We don't have a striker. And we're missing two of our best midfielders. 

Absolutely delighted with the outcome today and a hard fought win. Cove can feel hard done if they want but the reality is Stewart again had very little to do. 

Brydon comfortably my motm followed by Walker's game changing introduction. 

Ok, you're very much in glass half full mode, so fair enough.

Yes, we're missing players and yes, Stewart had little to do.  It's not as if their keeper was terribly busy either though.

Delighted to escape with the points.  The hope has to be that chamging personnel allows us to be a lot better soon though.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ok, you're very much in glass half full mode, so fair enough.

Yes, we're missing players and yes, Stewart had little to do.  It's not as if their keeper was terribly busy either though.

Delighted to escape with the points.  The hope has to be that chamging personnel allows us to be a lot better soon though.

Absolutely I am. Their GK was busier than I expected tbh. I won't lie, at 1-0 down I really couldn't see anything other than a defeat for the reasons I've already said. 

To come away with 3 was outstanding. There seems to even be a different attitude from the players the now as well. If we grind out results while playing 'poorly' I'll be over the moon all season. 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Tbf, we only really lost the ball after we hoofed it long at the request of the (constantly moaning) support. 

So the players take their instructions from the fans, I'd be having a word with them if I was Murphy. We lost the ball on several occasions, not when we hoofed it forward, but by failing on several occasions to play simple passes which were either cut out by the opposition or played straight to the opposition by midfield and defence. I'm relieved and happy we managed to scrape the win, and it was a scrape, but missing better quality players isn't the whole reason for that mostly disjointed performance.

Just now, Fae_the_'briggs said:

So the players take their instructions from the fans, I'd be having a word with them if I was Murphy. We lost the ball on several occasions, not when we hoofed it forward, but by failing on several occasions to play simple passes which were either cut out by the opposition or played straight to the opposition by midfield and defence. I'm relieved and happy we managed to scrape the win, and it was a scrape, but missing better quality players isn't the whole reason for that mostly disjointed performance.

What was the reason for such a "disjointed" victory then? 

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Didn't say the victory was disjointed, some of the play certainly was. 

And what do you think the reason for it was if it's not down to our lack of numbers?