Raith Rovers' Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Raith's next permanent manager?  

482 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

Pretty sure Mr Klopp would jump at a less stressful position 🤓

Clip Klopp I hear

Coming up Pratt Street as Starks Park gets near.

Alas! He, it's not going to be .

Probably just the steps of another managerial donkey. 

Edited by embow

32 minutes ago, Clangers said:

Under almost all contracts you would need to pay them the full amount, with  the caveat being that they can also take you to employment tribunal if you put them on gardening leave, as you have actively reduced there future employment.

Happens at my work a lot, it’s almost impossible to remove someone without grounds of misconduct (deliberate). They spend 6 months in the house then get fully paid off and both parties sign a NDC

I'm afraid you're incorrect. That may happen where you work but it is not common. Most contracts include mutual termination clauses which dictate what notice is needed and what compensation will be paid, if appropriate. If the termination is not contractual (eg not gross misconduct, for example) there are still several ways to part ways; the most common being a compensation agreement, where parties eventually agree the position is untenable and a compensating sum is agreed, along with a confidentiality agreement. Sounds like this is what happens where you work, but the company is playing safe by taking longer to get rid.

I used to be an HR Director.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm surprised more Raith fans aren't questioning what went on. What have Murray and Barrowman fell out about? The reasoning of it being results since turn of the year doesn't wash because you can't then back the manager with money, get to the first game of the season and lose and then say, 'Aw, yeah, this has been building since January' it just screams incompetence. So what's the falling out about? Is it pettiness or does Barrowman genuinely have your best interests - or was he affronted and just bulleted Murray?

It wasn't that long ago he was in the press saying he wanted Murray to stay when the media were speculating about Hibs.

Hence why I posed the question was it a mutual termination

Not knowing the t&c of his contract or employment law but surely its not straight forward  to sack somebody for the reason given.?

Edited by Rovers_Lad

4 minutes ago, Oceanlineayr said:

I Reckon you need to use the definitive Peter Grant portrait. 

20124778-e1624291938568.jpg

That’s my PTSD kicking in again, will need next season in the Seaside to recover 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning he spoke openly about not wanting to be a manager again, and preferring the relative security of a more background role like "Director of football", before he became Newcastles "Head of Coach development".

I'd imagine we won't see him manage up here any time soon, if he ever does at all.

Either role carries about as much kudos and gravitas as the role of ‘Chief Assistant to the Assistant Chief’

23 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Hence why I posed the question was it a mutual termination

Not knowing the t&c of his contract or employment law but surely its not straight forward  to sack somebody for the reason given.?

A football manager can always be sacked for poor performance - however subjectively defined - but the amount of pay-off has to be negotiated and agreed on to avoid a protracted legal dispute. I believe Morton only fairly recently stopped paying Gus McPherson after binning him nearly three years ago. But if we didn't sack him, we'd have been relegated without trace so the cost-benefit fully worked out on that decision. 

Talk of break clauses from certain (not all) Raith fans smacks of wishful thinking when the reality is likely going to be a significant pay-off, though less than the full value of his contract. It's not as if the current backers are known for their parsimony either.

2 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

think the close season was the time to do it,

I think you might have got McCabe if you had let Murray go after the playoff and given McCabe the time and budget to sign who he wanted, he was also out of contract then. As it is I dont think he'll go now when he won't have much opportunity to sign players but will be held accountable if promotion isn't secured. I dont think he'll be our manager next season but I dont think he'll go to Raith either. 

9 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

I used to be an HR Director

Did you get the sack?

How long was Murray's contract? If it was less than 5 years there won't  be much room for reduction. If you get a lump sum for that amount it's usually  reduced a bit because you're getting it in advance. It's about applying  multiplier/multiplicand to his lost salary. In short contracts you might not do that.

He'll obviously take a lump sum in this case as he could potentially lose out by taking another job within the next few months. If I was him I'd be looking for at leat 2 years. 

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Did you get the sack?

How long was Murray's contract? If it was less than 5 years there won't  be much room for reduction. If you get a lump sum for that amount it's usually  reduced a bit because you're getting it in advance. It's about applying  multiplier/multiplicand to his lost salary. In short contracts you might not do that.

He'll obviously take a lump sum in this case as he could potentially lose out by taking another job within the next few months. If I was him I'd be looking for at leat 2 years. 

A comp agreement then? Which is what I said.

He'll be looking for 2 years but unlikely to get it when the contract has approx 2½ years left.

Depends how good the lawyers are.

The biggest obstacle to McCabe is the fact he was offered a new contract in the summer - but we don't know the clauses involved I'd be very surprised if it was not flexible for him to move to any club he wanted.  I think some Airdrie fans are being a bit too romantic about McCabe here.  He will not be your manager at the end of the season whether he goes to Raith or not and Airdrie will not win the league because they have a worse squad than last year.  I'd argue Raith, Ayr, Partick and maybe even Falkirk have better squads and could offer him higher wages with bigger backing and a bigger fanbase. 

It would be a surprise if he came to Stark's Park, but I don't think it's impossible.

Not really surprised Murray has went, but I wasn't expecting it so early in the season. Something must have happened.

Would be surprised if its McCabe. Assuming Rovers have had to pay out compo for Murray(who just signed a new deal)compo to airdrie plus offering McCabe a better deal than what hes getting is quite a bit of money.

On Thomson did he not resign from Kelty hearts saying he wanted a bigger job? Also did Courts not leave after a falling out? Not sure what the relationship is like between the kelty hearts contingient on your board and those two?

I'm surprised Robbie Neilson hasnt been mentioned before. Rumours are he wants back to Scotland. 

Edited by Fifes Elite Force

15 minutes ago, Starksdynamo said:

The biggest obstacle to McCabe is the fact he was offered a new contract in the summer - but we don't know the clauses involved I'd be very surprised if it was not flexible for him to move to any club he wanted.  I think some Airdrie fans are being a bit too romantic about McCabe here.  He will not be your manager at the end of the season whether he goes to Raith or not and Airdrie will not win the league because they have a worse squad than last year.  I'd argue Raith, Ayr, Partick and maybe even Falkirk have better squads and could offer him higher wages with bigger backing and a bigger fanbase. 

It would be a surprise if he came to Stark's Park, but I don't think it's impossible.

As mentioned before I'd imagine his pros and cons list for the Raith job will look something like this:

Pros: Will get a relatively higher wage and likely higher transfer/player budget moving forward.

Cons: Absolutely won't get the free reign he has just now, can't rebuild squad for numerous reasons, lots of ageing/older players who won't/can't play to his philosophy, unfit and injury prone squad, trigger happy owners, cousin there who literally left the club to get away from him, potentially difficult dressing room, sideways move.

I suspect you're right about his contract likely having certain clauses built in, but would suspect that they would relate to teams in the top league/England and not fellow championship teams, given he's just signed a new contract, you'll be looking at decent compensation and given you'll absolutely be splashing out 6 figures to Murray, doing the same again might even be beyond you baked goods sales budget.

On paper, it doesn't seem likely, but you never know with football.

Edited by cb_diamond

10 hours ago, moses1924 said:

I think you might have got McCabe if you had let Murray go after the playoff and given McCabe the time and budget to sign who he wanted, he was also out of contract then. As it is I dont think he'll go now when he won't have much opportunity to sign players but will be held accountable if promotion isn't secured. I dont think he'll be our manager next season but I dont think he'll go to Raith either. 

this is probably the most sensible post I've read. same as Broony at Ayr -too late now