Stirling Albion v Elgin City

On 08/08/2024 at 00:08, MrBeeno said:

The Binos squad is not as young as some people seem to think.

Agree to some extent but we really need the injured players back. Last weekend we had four 18 year olds on the bench - I’m guessing the ages of Weir and Reilly. The midfield is fairly youthful but quite an experienced defence and attack. 

14 hours ago, Beepee67 said:

IMO i feel the only reason we still have Hilson & Milne is the fact they were 2 yr contracts when we signed them,, I'd have no complaints if both left in the summer & it freed up a bit of cash to re-invest

Hilson & Milne back in training last night so might be on the bench rather than half-time draw duties. There were a couple of missing players but not sure if that's injuries or not available - will see on Saturday.

it's younger than recent years for sure. Darren Young loved his veterans.

Much as we moaned about Hilson and Milne last season, they should both be effective League 2 players. 

if we can get it right, it could be a good blend of youth and experience. 

Really looking forward to tomorrow now. lets hope we get a decent crowd. C'mon the Binos..

57 minutes ago, SA45 said:

Hilson & Milne back in training last night so might be on the bench rather than half-time draw duties.

Noticed that also, when I was picking my Season Ticket up, I saw both players in the car park. I tend to agree with @WattersIsGod here in that they should be good players for this level, I’m certainly not writing them off.

1 hour ago, headthebaw said:

Anyone know why Harry Wright wasn’t in the squad last Saturday?

I think AM might have mentioned he was injured in his post match interview but i may be misremembering...

Possibly the most pivotal match in the history of both clubs. Of all the skills that DC has a 30yd thunderbolt is not the one that springs to mind.

I therefore will expect the unexpected.

Good to be back home today & on the grass.... going to be difficult conditions & a spectacle spoiler with the wind but it's the same for both teams 

3 points on the board is always a good start, I think today will be a tougher test, but the lads should take confidence from last week.... it wasn't the prettiest performance against ECFC... but taking the positives from the game Josh Kerr absolutely strolled it...Sula complemented him well,, Ricky Waugh looks good in the middle of the park & Roy & Carrick never stopped working,, I'm expecting Harley Ewan might miss out today with injury so will see who replaces him...  he might move Crane inside & bring Hilson LM... or could bring Jack Harkness in at RB with Geach moving alongside Sula & Josh Kerr into CM .... just my own thoughts 🤔

No matter what... 3pm Forthbank crossing white line that desire to play for the binos, effort & teamwork with a willingness to keep going will always be appreciated from the stands 👏 👏... from nothing we have built a sqaud, let's show the rest of the league we are not going away in SPFL2.... C'mon the binos 🇵🇪 💪

Why not us  💪

Well that was all a bit grim.

Really scrappy first half. Poor goal to lose from Harry Wright being too weak on the ball in the middle to start the attack to the defence being so easily carved open.

It's a lot more patient build up than we were used to under Darren young. We look comfortable enough playing it out from the back but there seems no idea what to do in the final third.

We also seemed very reluctant or unable to go down the left at all first half especially.

The 3 at the back worked better with Geeks on the left I thought. Seemed like pretty much a 3 4 1 2 formation with Wright behind the strikers.

He was a bit better second half and his dribble and shot was probably the best chance we made. Josh Kerrs header cleared off the line was about the only other decent one.

Roy and mckinley did little to suggest they'd be an effective partnership but tbf their service was woeful.

The midfield is the problem really. Need to find a betrer balance and have someone in there who can actually win a header.

Another frustration today was that the opposition coped much better with the conditions. The number of times multiple.playets misjudged the bounce or flight of the ball was unreal.

Pie of the week was good at least.

Can't grumble about the final result. We were well off it. Had a decent period towards the end of the first half and for a spell at the start of the second, but the changes halted any momentum we had and Elgin could have scored another (I thought the disallowed goal was onside!)

I’ve delayed posting so far, because I really don’t know what to say about the performance today.

Do I think it was as bad as some people have stated (here and at the ground)….no, but it certainly wasn’t good either. 

AM obviously wants us to play, I thought for long spells we did well on the ball, yes, first touch and weight of passes, let us down at bits but I thought we were quite easy on the eye and you could see what they were trying to do. The problem came in the final third, we just had no quality service or any ideas on how to get through quite a rugged Defence. Elgin were happy to allow us to play, and for it all…what did we have….an effort from Wright and a header off the line. It kind of summed it up. As the game wore on, the intensity levels never really upped and we still never got enough balls in the box, but Carrick offered more energy, playing in a deeper role when he came on.

The Midfield is the issue. The balance is wrong. They’re all lightweight ball players, with the exception of Crane, who was simply off it today (this things happen), but it’s something that needs addressed. I’m sure had Hilson, Milne and Davidson been fit, they’d be in, but they’re not and the players who are, are having to learn and learn quickly. I thought Waugh played well, probably our best player once again, he‘S got a bright future with what I have seen so far.

It’s early days and I still have faith that we can have a positive season, the football will certainly be enjoyable under AM and co.