Aberdeen v Still undefeated in Europe St Mirren

17 minutes ago, jonty said:

You lost to Mechelen in 1987, not a great side at the time, 2-0 on aggregate. So not unbeaten in Europe (please amend the forum title) and very tinpot to celebrate being in Europe when it is early August. This reminds me of Gretna, buddies. Good luck tho! 👌

They were shit. Fantastic side but after they lost Jim Bett not the same. Alex Smith etc

2 minutes ago, jonty said:

They were shit. Fantastic side but after they lost Jim Bett not the same. Alex Smith etc

Talking to yourself is the first sign of madness. 

Dons have selection issues.

Clarkson, Polvara & MacDonald injured.  
Palaversa not match fit. 
Miovski unlikely to play with a Girona move very close. 
Duk AWOL

So, same X1 as last week, but likely to have to replace Miovski who I think will be left on the bench & only used if chasing a goal. 

How many changes will Saints make with Brann in mind?

This is the biggest test of Thelin so far, & with selection issues as well as a few players still to come in,  think it could end up being a score draw. 

We certainly couldn’t have made it Europe without Aberdeen last season. Those seven points from three games against them really were vital, thank you. 
The last two games between the sides were especially helpful. Last time out at Pittodrie in December we went up the road, missed a penalty, and still walloped them three zip. That was one of the most one sided away wins I’ve ever seen from us. Oor Barry was the manager then.
Then in March Warnock showed up in Paisley and they took the lead inside the first minute. They were still winning as the clock hit minute 95, only to lose to goals in the 96th and 98th minute. I’ve still yet to see another example of a top flight league game anywhere where a team was winning for 94 minutes of it and still, somehow, lost. Remarkable scenes, only Aberdeen.
However, with the deck so heavily stacked in their favour today, the latest Aberdeen manager - checks notes  ‘Jimmy Thelin’ - will surely manage to end our recent domination of this fixture. Comfortable home win. 

48 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

It's an interesting one. We probably made selection mistakes on Thursday, based on which you'd think we'd pick a slightly different line-up in Norway. Which makes me think we might play a similar team today, if that makes sense.

We obviously have injury issues of our own, which is complicating matters. Three of our best players in O'Hara, McMenamin and Kiltie all out. 

All that said, we do still have options in some positions, which is where we may see some rotation. I think James Scott might start today: he's been excellent off the bench against Hibs and Brann.

There's also a case for Iacovitti for Taylor, Tanser for Brown, and Olusanya might come back in up front. I'm not sure if Shaun Rooney actually ever stops running, even in his spare time, but depending on his fitness Bwomono might come in for him.

Idowu was brilliant against Hibs but anonymous against Brann (he wasn't the only one). I think he'll still start.

tl;dr it's pretty impossible to predict our line-up right now, but in a good way as we have the deepest squad I can ever remember us having.

Edited by Coventry Saint

With us having a few midfielders missing, i wonder if starting Iacovitti and moving Taylor into midfield may be worth a try. 

Taylor does like to venture forward with the ball and had a decent pass on him as well as a bit of pace. 

I tried to read this thread and gave up.

Car crash.

St Mirren > Aberdeen - but at Pittodrie and after a European game where the Saints were just chasing the ball for most of the game the Dons might sneak a win.

Thank you

Saints had the run-around on Thursday Brann slick passing really surprised me though can now understand why the finished second in the Norwegian league and currently second place half way through the season. So will St Mirren be jaded ? Probably yes can only see an Aberdeen win hope I'm wrong. 

11 hours ago, jonty said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 God doesn’t die. You are getting it well done 👍🏻 

Someone should tell Friedrich Nietzsche. (Except he's dead as well)

As for the game, the only thing I can say with any certainty is that it will be better than this match thread.

11 hours ago, jonty said:

How do you spell “paisley is a shithole”?

I had the misfortune of living and working in Aberdeen for 6 months, and can conclude that Paisley is like the French Riviera compared to Aberdeen, genuinely the most miserable city I’ve spent any length of time in. It had the cheek to charge extortionate rent prices, the roads in and out of the place are hellish, and worst of all the naan breads from Indian takeaways are round and about 10cm in diameter, not the big elephant ear shaped ones you get from West coast takeaways. Only thing it had going for it was white pudding suppers and easy access to a couple of good golf courses. 

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Dons have selection issues.

Clarkson, Polvara & MacDonald injured.  
Palaversa not match fit. 
Miovski unlikely to play with a Girona move very close. 
Duk AWOL

So, same X1 as last week, but likely to have to replace Miovski who I think will be left on the bench & only used if chasing a goal. 

This is the biggest test of Thelin so far, & with selection issues as well as a few players still to come in,  think it could end up being a score draw. 

It's a tricky one for us.

We've got players like Adeniran, Iacovitti, Smyth and Idowu who hardly kicked a ball last season and you can see they're still short of match fitness.

O'Hara being injured is a huge miss for us, as are Kiltie and McMenamin.

I'd have Adeniran in for CBM. However, I'd be looking for Adeniran to be playing in the Brann game, as it was obvious when he came on last week what a quality player he is.

Idowu will probably start, given his goal threat.

In defence possibly Iacovitti and Tanser will come in for Taylor and Brown.

We've got options up top, but unfortunately, bar Olusanya, none of them look particularly dangerous in front of goal.

Scott has had three assists in his last two games, so we might see him in from the start.

All pure speculation of course and probably completely incorrect.

As I mentioned earlier, we'll need to play way better than we did in midweek to get anything today.

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Taylor could easily play midfield. I would like to see him given the chance there.

I have thought this for a while. He is one of the few players we have who carry the ball forward. 

He can win the ball, pass and take the ball up the park. 

Cant see Robbo move his position though