Scotland squad to face Poland (H) and Portugal (A)

If I had a pound for every time there was no confirmed broadcaster ahead of Scotland playing Poland, I’d have two pounds. 

Which isn’t a lot, but it’s funny it’s happened twice. 

12 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Okay nearly 29 - in 3 and 1/2 months time.

The point is why not select him years ago and wait till this point?

He's not exactly going to be hanging about long.

I just find it bizarre.

It's not a financial investment that's being made. If he does the job don't give a hoot how old he is.

48 minutes ago, The Master said:

If I had a pound for every time there was no confirmed broadcaster ahead of Scotland playing Poland, I’d have two pounds. 

Which isn’t a lot, but it’s funny it’s happened twice. 

Daily Record buying the rights confirmed

I know it's the internet, but is it really too much to ask that when a poster gets someone's age wrong they can just admit to being wrong and we can all move on? Is that really too much to ask? Really?

2 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

I know it's the internet, but is it really too much to ask that when a poster gets someone's age wrong they can just admit to being wrong and we can all move on? Is that really too much to ask? Really?

Think it's all a bit of a piss take to do with a well shared argument about a players age from twitter or something. I can't remember the exact player it was about.

3 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

He’s a lot nearer 29 than he is 28. 

3 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Images of the decade:" He's 28 until he becomes 29. That's how it works" :  r/Gunners

I thought the media was quite interesting alongside the squad. My reading is that The Nations League is being used primarily as preparation for the World Cup qualifying campaign. The purpose of the upcoming games is to put the National Team in the best place to be successful in that. Clarke has suggested that involves building a deeper 'talent pool' of players and the squad perhaps points to an alteration in our approach. 

I think I touched on it before the Championships in the summer that maybe we’d freshen a little bit going into this campaign, just have a look at one or two different players, try and give ourselves a deeper pool of talent and that’s the way it is.

https://youtu.be/o8xL2z03Ji0?si=70AMr4ahJSKGCNam

The last time we had a disappointing summer was probably when we lost to Ukraine in the play-off games. From that, we reset, we pushed again and we had a really good qualifying campaign for Euro-2024. That’s what we have to do again. I touched on it before that after one campaign’s over, so the Euro-2024 campaign is over, we’re now building towards the campaign to qualify for 2026. These Nations League games is a good opportunity to look at a number of players and that’s what we aim to do.

https://youtu.be/ue9zMGP639w?si=Y1OWKyOFd75wMCEp

I think it's just important that we get ourselves moving again, trying to move forward, trying to be better, trying to improve and that, whatever happens in the Nations League campaign, we come out of that ready for the World Cup qualifying campaign in 2025.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/ive-earned-the-right-steve-clarke-reveals-when-scotland-tenure-likely-to-end-as-he-addresses-euros-fallout-4758616

The concepts previously discussed around attempting to get closer to the pot-1 teams doesn't appear to be in focus. That's understandable given the defeats suffered against England, France, Spain, Netherlands and Germany. I think the conclusion is that we can compete to a point with those nations if we play defensively (Spain) or for periods in games (The Netherlands), but we can't compete on a consistent basis especially without our very best players. 

McInnes said Robby McCrorie is likely to pull out with injury - he has been on the bench for us for the last couple of weeks because he has a hip injury which affects his kicking. Maybe McCracken is the replacement, or maybe he's just been called in to help out with training.

I'd have expected either Liam Kelly or Craig Gordon to replace an injured goalkeeper. It continues the theme of trying to expand the talent pool and moving away from continuity at least on the squad fringes.

56 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'd have expected either Liam Kelly or Craig Gordon to replace an injured goalkeeper. It continues the theme of trying to expand the talent pool and moving away from continuity at least on the squad fringes.

Think it confirms that Clarke doesn't see a future even in the short term for Gordon. 

On 27/08/2024 at 23:13, Butters Scotch said:

What's being on a sky billboard advert got to do with anything? Literally meaningless. 

The point was that it was clear from a young age Bale was going to be international calibre. He was the only Welsh player on there and I don't think it was for his looks.