Motherwell Vs Hearts - 25/08/24

I thought we were brilliant today and if not for a couple of wonder saves from Gordon we could have been out of sight at halftime. Other than for 10 minutes after they scored we were never in any danger.

That's also got to have been Hallidays best performance for us and it was some finish from Sparrow. All in all a very good day.

Up the 'Well!

Great result and a much better performance.

We had a lot more threat going forward with Maswanhise on the left. Created a few half decent chances from open play but really it was set pieces today. Superb balls in. Hearts were playing such a high line that it was easy to get the run on them. If they were going to do that they have to be much better drilled and relying on offside calls.

We kept Hearts quiet aside from the little burst when they scored and the ten minutes after. Kettlewell made the right subs with Sparrow and pushing Wilson (who was excellent again) into midfield.

Still concerns about scoring goals from open play. Robinson just doesn't look like he will ever score.

Hearts sign bottom 6 players, look like a bottom 6 team. I wonder if Shankland's big move to Rangers is going to happen?

On 22/08/2024 at 21:47, Tony Wonder said:

Yeah. Wouldn't mind a look at Salazar as well.

Funny GIF

I enjoyed my look at him, tbf.

That's more like it. Feels like an eternity since I walked out of Fir Park after a performance like that. Lovely stuff. 

All these players and we can't seem to fit them into a coherent team. We're shoehorning them into positions where we are not getting anything out of them and just look ponderous and shite.

It's worrying how much of a fall off from how we looked 6 months ago with practically the same players and added apparent upgrades.

3 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

I missed the game today as I was travelling back up from seeing New Order in Manchester last night. That was the finale as part of their usual Joy Division encore and I have to admit it crossed my mind as I caught the end of the game on the radio.

2 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Tbf I thought Salazar was fine for 70 minutes, his use of the ball was good then was he clearly struggling to keep the pace and should have been taken off earlier. 

Agree. He looked fine if not amazing, and considering it was his first game in about 3 months I think he looks decent. He absolutely should've been off earlier though, he was absolutely blowing out his arse and it's likely led to his slack pass. Made no sense to keep him on when we could've moved Kingsley across and put Oyegoke on.

In general we look so fragile, thought we started fine and had a couple of chances, though our final ball was poor. Then for 5 minutes before and after the opener we were an absolute rabble.

We just look like we are going to conced at every set piece and we've gave away some comical goals in every game we've conceded. Naismith needs to pick a defence and stick with it. Changing players and the shape week to week doesn't work when you're in a rut. 

The 3rd goal is an absolute killer, you work hard to get back into it, have time to get back on level terms and then you give that away under no real pressure. Awful stuff.

Motherwell fully deserved their win. Miller is a player. 

2 hours ago, Desp said:

I enjoyed my look at him, tbf.

The speed he left the pitch was hilarious - as was the level of cheering he was getting from the East Stand.

2 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

Why did Naismith play Spittal so deep ? He was fantastic for Motherwell last season and he didn't play that position once .

Trying to shoehorn too many "creative" players into the team at the detriment of any solidity or cohesion. 

To be fair, I only listened to it. But I found myself agreeing with Michael Stewart, which is never a good thing. Square pegs, round holes.

Just play a 4-2-3-1 with one of Dhanda or Spittal in behind Shankland. Vargas and Oda/Forrest either side. Devlin and Boateng more defensively minded. It's not difficult!

Hearts are all over the place, he's changing it far to regularly and 3-5-1-1 or whatever that was today doesn't work.

We dropped into a back five and just conceded 75% of the pitch. Players look like they don't understand the game plan if there is one.

Motherwell pressed and hassled us, totally outworked us and if we'd taken anything from that game it was a steal.

Great parking suggestion earlier minus the pitbull just about having my son fir lunch!

8 hours ago, Aylo vanal said:

Great parking suggestion earlier minus the pitbull just about having my son fir lunch!

Sorry about Andy Halliday. He just seemed to be really up for this particular game. 

9 hours ago, Darren said:

Just play a 4-2-3-1 with one of Dhanda or Spittal in behind Shankland. Vargas and Oda/Forrest either side. Devlin and Boateng more defensively minded. It's not difficult!

It certainly wouldn't seem so but Stewart was also spot on with the comment related to this about Shankland playing in the area Dhanda and Spittal would seem suited for and leaving you with nothing where a normal number nine would be.

Obviously you can tell Shankland to stay up but he improved exponentially by turning himself into the guy who drops deep... asking him to stop doing this (particularly if the rumours about what you might offer him to extend are true) now seems a little counterproductive.