Arbroath v Alloa

I mean that was actually really decent and Sinclair and Flynn look like good additions. I had very little expectations on Sinclair but he looks better at RB than Steele just based off of that performance alone. 

Flynn kind of reminded me of Shinnie in the middle of the park although he’s less of a flying into tackles guy and more of a technical player with some cracking balls but he was the midfield anchor man and it brought out the best in Spalding and Dow who were both really good especially the former. I think Spalding is a real find 

A much better performance with THIRTEEN SHOTS on goal and 9 corners to Alloas 1. It’s obviously frustrating not to have won but they’re one of the better teams in the league so…

But yeah what a difference, Scotty Stewart tormented their left back for a lot of it. Him or Spalding man of the match, Reilly has to take one of they chances too…

8 minutes ago, Alloa 68 said:

Yet another poor performance.The fact we're unbeaten shows how poor the league is this season,at least so far.This season the league is winnable by a number of teams,but we can't,or won't add a goal threat by way of loan deals this year.It's becoming very frustrating to watch Alloa,as it's obvious we have little goal threat.I'm really surprised Andy hasn't dealt with this.Surely he's trying though.

I'm guessing we'll get a couple of loans in now the window has shut

22 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Flynn kind of reminded me of Shinnie in the middle of the park although he’s less of a flying into tackles guy and more of a technical player with some cracking balls but he was the midfield anchor man and it brought out the best in Spalding and Dow who were both really good especially the former. I think Spalding is a real find 

Make your mind up about Spalding. 😆

A more solid performance from Arbroath, we never looked like conceding but still lacking a spark up front. Good to see Stewart having a go at the Alloa defence he looked good, TOB had a good game and generally we were ok and looked the better team but the cutting edge up front still missing. Alloa were a bit of a disappointment was expecting them to be better tbh.

9 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Spalding is my biggest surprise. Thought he was brought as a squad player but probably deserves a starting spot for his displays. Very pleasantly surprised 

Absolutely this on Spalding, was our best player today, not called Scott Stewart, his game should come on playing with Flynn 

I'd struggle to name a player who wasn't good today.  Maybe TOB not at his best, but still good.  Reilly maybe should have done better in front of goal, but what a shift he put in and he was very effective.  

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s obviously frustrating not to have won but they’re one of the better teams in the league so…

Are we really one of the better teams in the league? I don't think so far that any team looks clearly better than anyone else, everyone seems to be operating at a pretty similar (and not very good) level. The league is absolutely wide open. In Alloa's case the hope is that we're battling away and picking up points while we're still trying to get players fit and add to the squad, but our performances so far really haven't been very good. 

Edited by Waspie

18 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Are we really one of the better teams in the league? I don't think so far that any team looks clearly better than anyone else, everyone seems to be operating at a pretty similar (and not very good) level. The league is absolutely wide open. In Alloa's case the hope is that we're battling away and picking up points while we're still trying to get players fit and add to the squad, but our performances so far really haven't been very good. 

Indeed. We've very much played in fits and starts, with no good ninety minutes.

The main positive so far has been our four clean sheets in five games. If we can keep being difficult to score against (#) and add three or four quality attacking options then we may well challenge at the top of the league.

# I couldn't make today's game, but I see both teams had two shots on target. Is that right?

1 hour ago, Rory said:

I'm guessing we'll get a couple of loans in now the window has shut

Indeed. It's only now that the best options for loans become apparent as the premier league clubs have fixed squads (more or less). 

We also have Luke Rankine to come back in a couple of weeks.

Alloa on paper not just as individuals but as a team look pretty solid 

Arbroath on paper for me as a League 1 side is very good and surprisingly the two biggest disappointments are probably both Gallagher and Reilly - need to find a way to get them scoring goals 

We were pretty poor today and never actually looked like scoring, but if you’re not going to win then keeping a clean sheet is always a positive. Great to see that Andy has very obviously improved our defence despite having 4/5 of the same back line as last year (which I thought would probably be a mistake). Arbroath were okay but never really felt we were in too much danger, and watching every single one of Coulson’s crosses and set pieces hit the first man was particularly enjoyable.

Frustrating as I don’t think we’re far away from a title fighting side but we badly need attacking options in - O’Donnell should be starting ahead of Buchanan as well as he’s been off it for weeks.

I think today was the worst of our league games and allow it because I felt a point was a good result before the game.

I'll give the caveat that Miko Virtanen's chance was possibly the best open chance anyone had today and we have been greedy how much we seem to snatch a good result under Andy Graham.

In terms of territory and how they used the ball Arbroath seemed more effective... yet I was calling the game as a 0-0 after the first couple subs so that probably gives you a summary of how dangerous I thought they were.

19 minutes ago, printer said:

Indeed. We've very much played in fits and starts, with no good ninety minutes.

The main positive so far has been our four clean sheets in five games. If we can keep being difficult to score against (#) and add three or four quality attacking options then we may well challenge at the top of the league.

# I couldn't make today's game, but I see both teams had two shots on target. Is that right?

The BBC says 2 on target each, I thought your goalie made a couple more saves, but we hit the post and there were several stramashes in your box involving blocked shots. 

Edited by TheRoundO

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Alloa on paper not just as individuals but as a team look pretty solid 

Arbroath on paper for me as a League 1 side is very good and surprisingly the two biggest disappointments are probably both Gallagher and Reilly - need to find a way to get them scoring goals 

Oh, for a Nicky Low type creative player. 😊