Arbroath v Alloa

1 hour ago, afc_36_0 said:

We still need another couple of players but yeah we have a decent squad, unfortunately mcintyre ruined most of them and it’ll take a good bit of work to get some momentum and confidence back.

The right man will sort that out quickly.

We were in a similar place when we had Barry Ferguson as manager (shudders). Brian Rice tweaked the formation, played our best central midfielders in their correct positions (I know @Waspie ) and things got better very quickly.

Of course we were also underachieving under Rice in the first few months last year, but when Andy G took over confidence and momentum was exactly what we got.

6 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Innes Murray always seems to do well against us  (another ex loan of course )those free kicks are deadly ,  Coulson is decent on his day 

Arbroath do seem to have a decent squad of players , if they do get it right with the new manager they will do well and kick on IMO .

that free kick he scored for Edinburgh when they were half decent

4 minutes ago, AlloaAdam said:

Best pubs that will accept away fans?

Any pub will accept away fans. Personally I like the Foundry for a pre match beer. 5 minute walk from the ground on East Mary Street, just off Millgate Loan. There’s Tutties Neuk of course right across the road, I prefer it post match as it gets very busy pre match but pretty decent.

Plenty others to choose from if your coming by train?

12 hours ago, AlloaAdam said:

Best pubs that will accept away fans?

Nowhere is not going to accept away fans ffs - where else would that happen out of curiosity? 😂

I like the Station Bar or Newgate Bar if you want a good pint, pool, darts and a jukebox but there’s a fair few to pick from 

And of course Tutties which is always very busy on match days 

Can't honestly say i'm feeling very confident of victory today despite the comings and goings yesterday. Alloa are very good team who always seem to be very solid and capable so a victory against them would be a very good days work. I will eventually see Arbroath win a game at some point though and hopefully it's today.

We need to be winning this game if we're serious about doing anything this season.  Alloa are a good benchmark and should be a tough test.  If we can't win this game, then we may as well stop thinking about the playoffs, and start worrying about the other playoffs. 

We've made some good signings over the summer, and there's a decent squad there, we managed to actually score goals and lead a game last week, we're at home, and we've cast off the gloom of McInnes.  There should be a good feeling within the squad.

I'd like to see us ditch the 4-4-2 altogether.  4-2-3-1 with Gold and Callaghan in midfield, Dow, Coulson and Murray ahead, and Gallagher up front as he's arguably looked the better of the two so far.  Reilly and Flynn to come on later.  Dow suits the creative attacking slot best, and then that gives Callaghan less responsibilities, and should get more out of him.

50 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

We need to be winning this game if we're serious about doing anything this season.  Alloa are a good benchmark and should be a tough test.  If we can't win this game, then we may as well stop thinking about the playoffs, and start worrying about the other playoffs. 

Way too early for such pronouncements. We have 13 new players and are far from a settled side. Alloa are favourites, quite rightly. Any team in this league could put in a winning run in the new year and make the promotion places.

17 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Way too early for such pronouncements. We have 13 new players and are far from a settled side. Alloa are favourites, quite rightly. Any team in this league could put in a winning run in the new year and make the promotion places.

0 wins in the first 5 games when the club was openly talking about going for the title would be pretty grim.  I'm feeling optimistic today though! 

8e24c74a-99c0-48f1-9726-288c18803a99.thumb.jpg.ac80bf427412789520cdae2691474553.jpg

So Wilkie, Watson ToB, Sinclair at the back, then Reilly over Gallagher up front.  So then I would assume we put Spalding and Flynn in the middle, and then Coulson, Dow, and Stewart ahead of them, with Dow being our creative central player and Coulson and Stewart playing wide?  It seems sensible, assuming Flynn and Sinclair are both match fit.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

9 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Good first half, poor second half. Points dropped as Alloa were shite

We were good both halves. Alloa were as good as we let them be. Another day, with a bit more confidence, that’s a win. 
I thought Sinclair and Flynn had excellent debuts. Sinclair is a real find. Confident debut for a young lad. Coulson tormented his old team. Reilly ran his socks off. Dow was class and Scott Stewart man of the match. What a difference- but still no win. 

Good effort to keep another clean sheet and grind out a point from what was a very poor performance. Broken record stuff from me but we desperately need to strengthen the attacking options (as well as getting our existing key men fit). Too many players off their game and we're currently absolutely miles away from where we were towards the end of last season. 

Arbroath certainly the better team although will probably feel they should have done more with the possession they had. Quinn being a case in point, his old specialty of running around a lot with very little end product. 

Edited by Waspie

Yet another poor performance.The fact we're unbeaten shows how poor the league is this season,at least so far.This season the league is winnable by a number of teams,but we can't,or won't add a goal threat by way of loan deals this year.It's becoming very frustrating to watch Alloa,as it's obvious we have little goal threat.I'm really surprised Andy hasn't dealt with this.Surely he's trying though.